cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OMG ... if someone can't tell me how to fix this "9230: Message sent using invalid number of digits..." error, I'm going to scream. My husband and I both have Sprint Epic phones and love them EXCEPT for this one problem! Help!

Journeyman

OMG ... if someone can't tell me how to fix this "9230: Message sent using invalid number of digits..." error, I'm going to scream. My husband and I both have Sprint Epic phones and love them EXCEPT for this one problem! Help!

My husband and I both have Spring Epic phones and LOVE them -- except that we can't reply to txts from each other -- WHICH IS WHY WE GOT THE PHONES IN THE FIRST PLACE.   We have 7 lines on our plan, but ONLY OUR TWO phone ones are the ones affected by this "9230 text message not sent" error.  Somehow, the phone is converting the 10-digit number programmed into the contact profile into a 7-digit number ... and not matter how many times we delete the string of texts and delete the contact and re-input the contact ... it does the exact same thing.  over and over and over ....

HASN'T ANYONE FOUND THE ANSWER TO THIS PROBLEM?  WHY IS IT JUST MY HUSBAND'S PHONE AND MY PHONE??  JUST OUR LINES ARE AFFECTED AND NOT THE OTHER 5 LINES ON OUR PLAN. 

If you have spoken to a Sprint rep and they have resolved this problem for you, PLEASE SHARE IT WITH THE REST OF US BEFORE WE ALL GO INSANE. 

THank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!

80 REPLIES
Master

This has been discussed previously here in the community.

The way that I've been able to get it fixed all of the time is by deleting BOTH the entire text conversation, and the contact from the phone. Then re-add the contact with the full 10 digit number, then start a new conversation. It has worked 100% of the time at my store when customers come in asking about it.

It is something the device team is currently investigating with Samsung to find a cause.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have had the same issue just started 2 weeks ago very frustrating and sprit is like huh what don't know nothing about it we also have an epic and that is the phone with the issue if you find out anything please post. and no deleting conversationa and redoing like above does not work 100% of the time that is the first thing we tried ok so what has the device team come up with

Sprint Employee

If you are a Samsung Epic user this Error 9230 may be related to a failure in the Android operating system, Samsung is working on integrating a patch for it in the next software release. Many Epic users have found that if they delete the contact & sms conversation for the affected conversation, then clear the call log it is resolved. While others note after those steps when they are sent an sms from the person that they have trouble with the new sms shows from a seven digit number. Please see and post in this thread if you use an Epic

Journeyman

I have the same issue. I deleted the thread, recreated the contact, reomoved the old contatc from all of my contact lists and it still seems to go back to that 7 digit entry after a few texts back and forth. I find it only happens with ceretain contacts, but it is persistant.

Journeyman

When you re-created the contact did you enter the number with the area code included?

Journeyman

My wife and I just upgraded to Samsung Epic 4G's on July 3rd and she is having this same problem with one of her contacts.  We've tried everything listed here as well as everything suggested by the Sprint Store people to no avail.  The contact's 10 digit number is listed correctly in her contacts list on the phone and in the gmail account.  The contact also is a sprint customer, but does not have an Samsung Epic phone.  Deleting the contact from gmail, the phone, and clearing the logs allows my wife to send one message to her friend before the area code is dropped.  If she deletes the message log only, she cannot choose the friend from the contacts list.  The only way to send a text message is to type in the 10 digit phone number.  THis only works if the log is erase.  Otherwise the phone recognizes the number and drops the area code. 

Luckily it is only 1 contact.  Any help would be appreciated.

Journeyman

I had the same thing happen, I tried everything. The only thing that worked was going in under settings-security and resetting the phone.

Sprint Employee

Hello JanellCoones, if you notice come back rest assured that Samsung is working on an update to prevent this from happening, Galaxy phones on other networks also seem to have trouble with this, and somethiing to try is delete the contact, conversation, and call log entries for the person affected, then ask them to send you an sms, many people report that they see it come in as 7 digits. others report that sms stopped working after they dialed the affected person's phone number using 7 digits. unfortunately the software release date has not been announced.

Journeyman

I have been having the same problems for about 3 weeks now.  Only 2 of my contacts have been affected so far.  But its very annoying and the Sprint reps (In store) just want to reset the phone.  I have data and such on here that I dont want to lose.  Frankly, I dont have the time to go back and set up all my apps and settings.

Is there an easier fix?  I noticed that this occurs after you enter the 7 digit number and call it.  The phone somehow automatically saves the number and associates it with your contact.  Regardless if its in saved in the contact or not.......Like everyone else I have tried everything else except resetting.  I dont want to do that unless I have to....

Master

Sprint is investigating this issue at this time and working on a fix

You can use these temporary workarounds:

• •1.    Manually enter the 10 digit number you are sending to versus using the contact information. Send a
  • •2.    New SMS to the contact they received an error message rather than using the existing thread in the Messaging Application

3. Delete the SMS Thread and the Contact from their device, and then re-add the Contact back to their device

These have worked for some but not all devices

Journeyman

same thing happens to me. I've deleted, etc. My latest workaround: if I see the msg is sent to the 7-digit number, I immediately "Forward" the same msg to the 10-digit number out of my contact list. The msg is only received once. It's not perfect, but the msg gets to the recepient.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.