cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OMG ... if someone can't tell me how to fix this "9230: Message sent using invalid number of digits..." error, I'm going to scream. My husband and I both have Sprint Epic phones and love them EXCEPT for this one problem! Help!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: OMG ... if someone can't tell me how to fix this "9230: Message sent using invalid number of digits..." error, I'm going to scream. My husband and I both have Sprint Epic phones and love them EXCEPT for this one problem! Help!

I am having the same problem.  It is driving me nuts.  There was a time that these phone numbers worked...now I get that message.  I find that in the address book there are 10 digits then when you hit message  in the <  >  there are only 7 digits.  Took it to sprint... they said I had to restore the phone to the original setting which would wipe out all the apps I have been working with. Called sprint.  I was on hold for 15 minutes and then got disconnected.  So frustrated!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: OMG ... if someone can't tell me how to fix this "9230: Message sent using invalid number of digits..." error, I'm going to scream. My husband and I both have Sprint Epic phones and love them EXCEPT for this one problem! Help!

In some areas the telephone carrier has changed to using 10 digit telephone numbers (including cellular phones). If you have stored the numbers in your contacts list without the 10 digits, the message will appear. Try editing your contacts and including the area code in your list. That should fix this problem. I switched to an Iphone yesterday and used Icloud to download contacts with no problems. I was able to send text messages with no problems because I included the 10 digit area code in my last cellular phone contacts list. This will require editing each contact to make sure the area include is included. Hope this helps.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hiya...I posted reply #35 above.  For ME, and perhaps others, this has NOTHING to do with the number of digits saved in the contacts list.  I have ALWAYS, since I bought my phone back in June 2010, entered every phone number with FULL area code and phone number totalling 10 digits.  I NEVER had a problem with this error message popping up until a few weeks ago.

Any other thoughts??  As I said, for me and perhaps others there are already 10 digits in all my contacts...??

THANKS!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Okay, I have all my contacts using 10-digit numbers.  Again, I'm not sending any texts.  Like you, this message appears simultaneously with ANY new voicemail coming in...  The caller could be a landline or a mobile number - it doesn't matter.

The first occurance was on Oct 9, 2011 for me.  I've been running Gingerbread on my Evo 4G since Gingerbread was released.  Had no problems whatsoever until 10/9.  I'm on the phone with Sprint Tech support.  Can't wait to see how well this [won't] work.

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

Hello JP13090, did you by any chance enable to auto reply with text option? Do you use sprint voicemail, or another type? Since we're in the Epic discussions, and you mention the Evo which phone do you use?

No longer working Community Response.
Highlighted
Sprint Employee

Hello Scudderb, usually this problem affects users that may have dialed the person as 7 or 11 digits, and then messaged them, you may be able to find the entry in your call log, or in messages by holding on a message in a conversation and selecting View message Details. If you are using the epic this problem has been documented by samsung. I usually suggest deleting the conversation in messaging, Then clearing the call log, and make sure the contact only has the 10 digit number, if contact exists in more than one place check each location (like facebook, Exchange, Etc.).

Highlighted
Journeyman

@RC1024: Nope. No auto reply with text option here. And I use Sprint voicemail, all standard settings out of the box. I spent some time on the phone with Sprint tech support and they've resolved to have me take it to the service center and pay $35 to have them look at it, but they'll probably want to do a factory restore.   I can do that myself thank you, if I thought it would work.

They were no help at all. I stumped them. It has nothing to do with contacts, like some of you have suggested. Sprint did take my phone off the network and re-put me back on, (##554646#), but no go.

I simply posted here as the original post here complained of the exact same issue I have. It's not specific to Epic or Evo, apparently, as I have an Evo.

Incidentally, my wife's Evo does not have this problem.

I may do the factory restore, and if I do it, I'll let you all know how that goes.

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

Well with what we know about the problem so far I'm sure we'll come to a conclusion. first Android phones no matter which version, or how it was customized have a strong relationship between SMS, and Call log. so does this happen no matter which number calls, and leaves a voicemail? or happens on specific numbers calling? when they said they took your phone "off network" do you know what was done? is 554646 your phone's SPC code? if so what changes were made when you entered ##554646#? if the phone is off, and a caller leaves a voicemail, do you get the same 9230 reject when you power back on?

Highlighted
Journeyman

OMG ... if someone can't tell me how to fix this "9230: Message sent using invalid number of digits..." error, I'm going to scream. My husband and I both have Sprint Epic phones and love them EXCEPT for this one problem! Help!

Mine was originally post number 30, but my problem is identical.  I only get this error when I get a voice maill.  And I get it every single time I get a voice mail.  It doesn't matter who it's from, land line or otherwise.  No, I don't have an auto reply of any sort enabled.  Yes, I'm using the original Sprint voicemail, straight out of the box.  The number can even be an unknown number, not even programmed into my phone, and I'm still going to get the error message.  And as I don't have my own number programmed into my contacts, it's obviously in no way related to my contacts or call log.  And no, I will not do a factory reset, nor should I have to. My phone is never, ever off, so whether or not I get the error if the message is received while powered down is irrelevant.  Any other ideas or suggestions?

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

The relevance of if it happens when phone is off, you're left a message, and you get this failure message when the phone is powered on is that it will help determine if the problem exists with the Visual voicemail platform, or the problem exists with the phone's settings and/or software. Please try leaving a message while your phone is off, and let me know if you still get a reject message when you power the phone off. if you will private message me I can look closer into this.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@RC - To answer your questions...  First off, I had the SPC code wrong...

1. They had me "dial" ##554464#, which took me to EPST, where I can view or edit...  I choose EDIT.  Then, edit the MSID.  They changed the ending digit to something different.  (The specific number here will vary with each phone, so this part isn't too important.)  Once I changed the MSID, I saved the info and they had me restart the phone by turning it off, removing the battery, and then rebooting it again.  Going back in, the same method, the MSID had reverted back to the original number.  This pleased the tech since he said that it had replaced itself on the network.  Then, he proceded to call me and leave me voice mail - same problem still occurred.

2. After typing this (#1), I just did the same thing, without removing the battery this time though, and noticed (haha) that the MSID had again reverted back...  So I kind of think we did NOTHING the first time around...

3. After typing #2, I got to thinking and just got a little more creative...  (The wizard that I am...):  After editing the MSID to the number the tech told me this afternoon, I pressed the MENU button, and hit COMMIT MODIFICATION...  something he neglected to tell me on the phone...  (Highly paid and all that they are, they assumed they're talking to fellow technical wizards like myself!)  Anyway, this will force a reboot automatically.  Upon reboot, I now get a Warning Symbol in the upper bar that says the phone cannot sign in.  Tapping this, it takes me to Google Sign In, where it already knows my username, but wants my password.  I type it and it attempts to authenticate and refresh my data, but fails...  At this point, I cannot send texts to my wife's phone.  And periodically (60 seconds between or so), I get a SMS ERROR message popup...  Undeliverable.  Please try again later...  DETAILS reveals CAUSE CODE: 34, ERROR CLASS: 2.

While the phone was rebooting (offline), I called it from my home landline and left myself a message... 

NOW that I've verified this failure, I'm setting the MSID back to what it was...  Forcing yet another shutdown/restart.  I suspect this is officially taking it off the network and replacing it again back onto the network, like the tech was trying to before...  If this works, I'll clarify my process for you all to try in a future post.  I'm still experimenting. 

Thursty and I seem to run our phones alike.  Never off, etc.  It doesn't matter where the voicemail comes from, nor whether my phone is on or off.  Blanket statment, "If I get a voicemail from anyone, at any time, phone on or off, I will get this text message."  I'm NOT rooted, and never have been.  2.3.3.  And before 10/9/11, this was never a problem. 

I'm with Thursty that I shouldn't HAVE to restore my phone...  But I don't have much to lose that I can't quickly put back on...  I want to fix the problem though, not just kick it to the curb and start over...

Highlighted
Journeyman

I also turned my phone off and called and left a message from my spouses phone.  As soon as the phone came back on I received a notification that I had a voice mail and a text, containing the error message.  So my experience at this point is identical to JP13090.  I, on the other hand, have a lot of things that I absolutely can not lose, such as texts needed for court, that prevents me from doing a factory reset.  I whole heartedly agree with JP13090's blanket statement, in that this will occur with every voice mail I receive, regardless of who or where the call originates, or whether my phone is on or off.  And before 9/27, this had never happened.  I am anxious to hear the outcome of taking your phone off the network and restoring it.  Thanks for doing the leg work on this.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat