cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OMG ... if someone can't tell me how to fix this "9230: Message sent using invalid number of digits..." error, I'm going to scream. My husband and I both have Sprint Epic phones and love them EXCEPT for this one problem! Help!

Highlighted
Journeyman

OMG ... if someone can't tell me how to fix this "9230: Message sent using invalid number of digits..." error, I'm going to scream. My husband and I both have Sprint Epic phones and love them EXCEPT for this one problem! Help!

My husband and I both have Spring Epic phones and LOVE them -- except that we can't reply to txts from each other -- WHICH IS WHY WE GOT THE PHONES IN THE FIRST PLACE.   We have 7 lines on our plan, but ONLY OUR TWO phone ones are the ones affected by this "9230 text message not sent" error.  Somehow, the phone is converting the 10-digit number programmed into the contact profile into a 7-digit number ... and not matter how many times we delete the string of texts and delete the contact and re-input the contact ... it does the exact same thing.  over and over and over ....

HASN'T ANYONE FOUND THE ANSWER TO THIS PROBLEM?  WHY IS IT JUST MY HUSBAND'S PHONE AND MY PHONE??  JUST OUR LINES ARE AFFECTED AND NOT THE OTHER 5 LINES ON OUR PLAN. 

If you have spoken to a Sprint rep and they have resolved this problem for you, PLEASE SHARE IT WITH THE REST OF US BEFORE WE ALL GO INSANE. 

THank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!

80 REPLIES 80
Highlighted
Journeyman

To RC1024 who wrote:

To Scudderb, JP13090, and Thursty This thread was initially create to  describe a software problem with the Galaxy series in while a user will  be sending SMS, back and forth with another, then all of a sudden the  thread will contain a non 10 digit number, this is why I mention the  relationship between contacts, call log, and SMS. You three are  reporting something that I regard as something, which is somewhat  different, same results but as far as it seems different mechanisms  causing these results. Since it is happening with callers routed to  voicemail regardless of if you select reject call, let it roll to  voicemail, or if phone is powered off then I feel we are dealing with a  problem with voicemail. Have any of you integrated with google voice, do  you use sprint voicemail, would you send me a private message so I can  look closer?

Would be happy to correspond/provide more info but NO SURE how do send a private message?? Do you need to be "added as a friend first"??  Please instruct because someone else in the forum also didn't know how to send a PM...

THANKS!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Firstly:  Ditto.

Secondly: Absolutely Ditto.  October 9, 2011 was my first occurrance.  September 27th for others...

Thirdly: Never rooted my phone, yet the same issue spans both rooted and unrooted phones.  So, sorta-ditto. 

Fourthly: Yes, that *is* a word.  And of the very few third party apps I have (I think, 2), none of them were installed on or after the above dates...  I've had them on for a long time with no issues.  And none of them relate to voicemail in any way.  Everything is from the Market, or Amazon Appstore (daily free stuff).

Lastly (Fifthly): DITTO.  My only concern here is that it's not EVERY phone, though it is becoming a variety of phones.  My wife's EVO is unaffected by this glitch, and we're on the same Sprint account.  Could it be phone number or Device ID specific if it *is* on Sprint's end?

As a fellow technician (even worked for AOL back in the day), I have a problem with phone reps and techs who automatically go to the "reset/restore" caviat to solve the problem.  I understand it has its value in technical support, but before we eliminate the problem and all evidence that it ever existed, I much prefer to find the source of the issue, correct it, and see if that actually fixes the problem without a loss of data.  So far, in this thread and in my conversations with Sprint support on the phone, no one has identified a source - everybody's guessing.  I'm willing to try some of these guesses, but not at the expense of my data, without a good understanding that this is the only way, and why it's the only way.  So, I share your frustration.  If you periodically restore your rooted phone, then I'm suspicious that yet another restore won't actually fix the problem that no one has accurately identified to date.  If I took my laptop to Best Buy's Geek Squad with a registry error, and it came back to me with a factory restore having been performed, I'd be LIVID!  Wait!  That's actually happened...   ...anyway....  I'm not bitter...

I'm not saying RC and Tom are thinking down the wrong path here necessarily, guys.  Don't get me wrong.  I just want to exhaust EVERY other possibility before we go down a road with no return.  It's not a critical issue for me - just an annoyance - so I've got time to actually troubleshoot and find an issue before killing it entirely.

Voice-To-Text idea: The first month I had my phone (June 2010), I *did* set up the Voice-to-Text service during the 30-day trial.  I cancelled that long ago.  So yes, I have some history with V2T, but have had no issues after I cancelled it until recently.  Therefore, I do not believe that V2T has anything to do with this.  Someone mentioned it might be a setting in Voicemail itself, and if there's a procedure to check something there, I'm all eyes... 

Thanks to everyone for your input.  I'm ready to find, learn from, and fix the problem.

Highlighted
Journeyman

For the most part, my experience mirrors those of Scudderb and JP13090.  Yes, my phone is rooted.  I never used the voice-to-text service, as I saw what a horrible job it did on my husbands EVO.  He quit using it shortly after he started his trial.  So if there was some correlation between voice-to-text and voicemail, it seems as though it would be more likely to affect his phone than mine.  Which it's not.  As with JP13090, same account, one phone has the problem, the other doesn't.  And this never happened once before September 27.

I too worked tech support (for both GM and OnStar, but never at Geek Squad, I promise!) and know how easy it can be to ask somebody to reboot/refresh/reset/restore when encountered with something you don't quite know the answer to.  Because if it solves the problem, then you don't have to do more digging to figure out what genuinely caused it, let alone how to correct or prevent it.  However, I have to agree with JP13090 that this will only be a last ditch effort, after all other posibilities have been explored and exhausted.

I am willing to try any suggestions that do not risk the content of my phone.  Just point me in the right direction.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@JP13090... What phone are you using??  I assume I'm the odd-man-out with the EVO and the problem joining in on this discussion as you mention that your WIFE has the EVO.  If you have the Epic then, interestingly, we have the SAME set up here...except I have the EVO and my wife has the Epic.  And get this:  it is MY EVO that has the problem and NOT my wife.  Same account...same voice mail service....same 3rd party texting app (ChompSMS)...however she's got stock Gingerbread OS and I'm rooted with a Gingerbread/Sense ROM (MikG).

So for anyone who might suggest "If you have an EVO and an Epic on the same account, then your EPIC is going to have this text error problem and not the EVO" they are wrong!!

@thursty and JP13090 (and everyone else)...  I (as you can see with my experience wiping the phone fairly often and flashing ROMs) am not averse to doing a factory reset but TOTALLY AGREE as a last resort.  It really REALLY is a pain in the ass getting your settings back up and running.  It's one thing to be told by your I.T. guy to "restart your computer...see if that helps" to clear out/up some issues...TOTALLY DIFFERENT to do the factory reset/restore.  It is also one thing to say "You need to wipe/factory reset your phone because XXXXXX IS THE PROBLEM AND YYYYY IS CAUSING IT" vs. "Umm....ahh....we're stumped here....shooting in the dark....but when all else fails just do a factory reset and HOPEFULLY your issue will be fixed."  For one, I have found that wipes ane restores DO NOT always fix the (and THIS particular) problem and as JP13090 mentioned: I'd really REALLY like to know what the hell the problem is so I can LEARN can AVOID it in the future if possible!!  I'm NOT looking for a "hopeful patch" or temporary solution...I'd like and understanding, an explanation and a fix

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have the glorious (:)) Evo 4G.  I only found this thread, not realizing it was an Epic thread, by Googling "Msg 2114 Voicemail"

Highlighted
Journeyman

I found the thread the same way!!  I mentioned a couple posts before that although I have an EVO this thread seems to be the most active with information and participation.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ok Here is your fix.The issue is 2 fold.The most IMPORTANT THING IS YOUR GO SMS OR NANDCENT YOU USE IS DOIGN THIS.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1306721

READ THIS THREAD IT tells you step by step how to fix this.

enjoy

Highlighted
Journeyman

Another post about it

You have a third  party sms app overriding default settings. Most people have gosms or  handcent. If certain default settings are in place and you overide those  settings the short code will appear. Disable override in handcent or  gosms and issue should  be resolved.

That would be entirely inaccurate, as I have no third party sms app, nor have I ever.  And we certainly did not all install and start using a 3rd party sms app within a week and a half of each other.  As previously stated, I am simply using the voice mail and messaging services that came installed on my phone.  Even if we had a 3rd party SMS app, this would still not explain why we get it, and only get it, when we receive a voice mail, for which none of us receive text alerts to begin with.  So SMS has nothing to do with this.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I bought a Galaxy 2S two weeks ago and have had this same exact same problem since day one.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Bamboo, that would lead me to believe it's not the phone...

I called Sprint again today, and this tech seemed to listen and think better than anyone else has so far...  We went through reassigning another MSID...  Didn't set it back to the original this time either.  This to no avail, however, as the test phone call/voicemail failed - still got the text message 2114.

He then completely reset the voicemail system on my account - so now I have no saved voicemails on the system and had to reassign a password, greeting, etc...  I was fine with that.  This time, when he test called, I got the SMS about 2 minutes after his test voicemail...  Had my hopes up too!

He promised me he'd continue looking into it and get back to me later on.  I travel a lot, so it's hard to catch me at a convenient time to troubleshoot...

Will post more when I know more...  It's sounding less and less like a phone problem though, and more like a Sprint Voicemail server issue...  and even the tech was fairly certain that restoring the phone would not solve this one.  He was just at a loss as to what *would*.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@Carrie2711...thanks for trying to give a fix but that issue isn't what we're talking about:

Ok Here is your fix.The issue is 2 fold.The most IMPORTANT THING IS YOUR GO SMS OR NANDCENT YOU USE IS DOIGN THIS.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1306721

READ THIS THREAD IT tells you step by step how to fix this.

enjoy

The issue addressed in your XDA forums link above tries to help "if you're having problems with vvm not coming through."  That is NOT our issue.  I, myself, have NO problem with voicemail or texting in general...just this error message generated from a missed call or rejected call.

Also, thursty mentioned that she NEVER installed any third party app so can't be the source of her problem.  Also NO WAY that any and all third party SMS apps...GoSMS, ChompSMS, Handcent, etc...ALL suffered from this error SIMULTANEOUSLY between somewhere around 9/27 and 10/9 or whever this issue reared its ugly head.

Information from JP13090 kinda sorta looks promising...well, FINALLY, someone at Sprint trying to THINK a bit and with what was discussed, JP13090 suggesting (and I agree) that the issue is SPRINT-SIDE...Sprint Voicemail server issue or Sprint text server issue or SOMETHING.  Yet, still, nothing really narrowed down

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat