cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OMG ... if someone can't tell me how to fix this "9230: Message sent using invalid number of digits..." error, I'm going to scream. My husband and I both have Sprint Epic phones and love them EXCEPT for this one problem! Help!

Highlighted
Journeyman

OMG ... if someone can't tell me how to fix this "9230: Message sent using invalid number of digits..." error, I'm going to scream. My husband and I both have Sprint Epic phones and love them EXCEPT for this one problem! Help!

My husband and I both have Spring Epic phones and LOVE them -- except that we can't reply to txts from each other -- WHICH IS WHY WE GOT THE PHONES IN THE FIRST PLACE.   We have 7 lines on our plan, but ONLY OUR TWO phone ones are the ones affected by this "9230 text message not sent" error.  Somehow, the phone is converting the 10-digit number programmed into the contact profile into a 7-digit number ... and not matter how many times we delete the string of texts and delete the contact and re-input the contact ... it does the exact same thing.  over and over and over ....

HASN'T ANYONE FOUND THE ANSWER TO THIS PROBLEM?  WHY IS IT JUST MY HUSBAND'S PHONE AND MY PHONE??  JUST OUR LINES ARE AFFECTED AND NOT THE OTHER 5 LINES ON OUR PLAN. 

If you have spoken to a Sprint rep and they have resolved this problem for you, PLEASE SHARE IT WITH THE REST OF US BEFORE WE ALL GO INSANE. 

THank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!

80 REPLIES 80
Highlighted
Journeyman

BTW...forgot which post I read above (from a Sprint tech) suggesting that the voicemail and texting and SMS and whatever we all kinda intimately intertwined...and that, perhaps, some error occurred in call history with a 7 digit number showing up and THAT might be causing problem (as an aside, does NOT seem to make sense because if ONE number's call history is screwed up or corrupted or 7 digits or something, why then do ALL calls that are missed or rejected generate this text issue??).  Anyway, I tried to simply erase the call history (and I also wiped cache and dalvik cache on my phone) rebooted and STILL had the problem.

On my rooted phone I have the ability to wipe data of system apps and processes including the dialer and the contacts.  I'm LOATHE to do so, however, because I don't want to wipe data of something and find that I erased data in my contacts or other dialing/contacts/people section of my phone.

If someone can tell me what data these specific system apps control I would be willing to wipe the data to see if the problem we are all suffering from is fixed.  Here are the call/contact/dialer/voicemail-ish type system apps I can wipe data with:

Contacts Storage 2.3.3 (CONTACTS/CALLS)

Dialer 4.1.000.XXXXXX

Dialer Storage 2.1.000.XXXXX (SMS/MMS/APN)

Messages 3.0.211XXXXXX (SMS/MMS PREFS)

Phone 4.1.000XXXXX (VOICEMAIL)

I'll also post this in some of the other more tech-saavy forums to see if anyone can help. If no one is able to give me information on the above system apps' data information, I can backup my phone and fool around with wiping the data and with the ability to restore my phone with a nandroid backup.  I'm going to need to find some free time to do so, so I'd prefer getting the information and saving MYSELF some time with testing out myself.

Anyone have any info about the above system apps/processes??  I'll report back with what I find when I do...

Highlighted
Journeyman

After several calls with Sprint, resets, store visits, etc I decided to do a step by step elimination on my own, and I have not had the problem since then (several days).  First off, I think there may be more than one issue going on; some people have trouble with the messaging app converting a 10-digit number to a 7-digit before sending it, and others receive the 9230 error message after receipt of every voicemail msg, without so much as having touched the phone. Also, some (like me) have 2-4 phones on Sprint (3 HTC Evo, one Samsung) but only one of them has the problem.  Like for many others, the problem started for me around early October.  I began my elimination process by backing up data then wiping the phone to factory reset (it may now no longer be necessary for you to do this). After wiping it, I started by going through google contacts on my computer and made sure every entry had a 10-digit number then I synced them back to the phone, after which I called my number from my husband's phone & left a voicemail without getting an error message. Because this was just the beginning of my process of elimination and may not have been my issue at all, I added back my apps, one by one, (from Market not backup).  After loading each single app, I called my phone and left a voicemail then checked the phone.  It went on like this without a hitch until I loaded Seek Droid back on; I left the usual voicemail and received the 9230 error message.  I uninstalled the app, left another voicemail, no error message.  Rather than stop there, I reloaded the remaining apps, one by one, calling my phone after each install.  No other problems.  As a last step I restored from backup the data to programs such as Simi Folder, Noteeverything, etc. calling my phone after each one, and everything has been fine. I have not yet again reinstalled Seek Droid.  Because I had added no new apps before this problem started, it didn't occur to me any of them could be the cause.  Afterward it clicked with me that, although I have had Seek Droid a long time on this phone without incident, it did have a couple of updates around the time this issue started and that Seek Droid is the only app I have with authority to send its own text messages.  This was a very long process which should tell you something about my frustration level with this problem.  I would suggest that you not wipe your phone yet but first wipe only your contacts, then check each one on your computer gmail account or other contacts program, sync them back onto the phone then call your phone and leave a voice msg.  For some, who don't have any apps with permission to send its own text msgs, this may fix it.  If not, I suggest you then delete any apps you have with permission to send text msgs, such as Seek Droid, along with their pertinent stored data.  Try calling your phone and leaving a text msg; if everything is ok, add it (or them) back on one by one and call your phone leaving a voicemail after each install. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Owlclaw, YOU ARE A SAINT!  I too had (past tense) SeekDroid on my phone.  Without doing any of the rest of your troubleshooting, I merely uninstalled this one app, power cycled my phone, and had my husband call me and leave a message.  Which I received with no text error message!  Thank you soooooo much.  I can not begin to tell you how greatful I am for a fix that does not involve a complete reset of my phone.  Again, thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I was  as frustrated as you and am so glad it helped.  In resetting my phone other times, I would just all add apps back on all at once, thinking nothing of it because I'd had them for quite some time.  Before going through all this I had done so many other things including turning off failure notification for messages, blocking messages, alternate messaging program, etc.,nothing worked.  Then I got to thinking about the randomness of phones with a problem, decided it couldn't be just Sprint and slowly prodded through this process.  You were smart to start with deleting the program first; I think it or, in some cases phone directories, are the most likely cause.  Hopefully other people with this problem do check back and give my suggestion a try. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Owlclaw wrote:

I was  as frustrated as you and am so glad it helped.  In resetting my  phone other times, I would just all add apps back on all at once,  thinking nothing of it because I'd had them for quite some time.  Before  going through all this I had done so many other things including  turning off failure notification for messages, blocking messages,  alternate messaging program, etc.,nothing worked.  Then I got to  thinking about the randomness of phones with a problem, decided it  couldn't be just Sprint and slowly prodded through this process.  You  were smart to start with deleting the program first; I think it or, in  some cases phone directories, are the most likely cause.  Hopefully  other people with this problem do check back and give my suggestion a  try.

Also read your post #73...what a find!!!  I use Titanium Backup to back up my apps and associated data and after reading you post, looked for Seek Droid in my Titanium backups.  Unlike you (I think you said you...) having the app for a long time I recently picked it up as, I believe, as Amazon's "free app of the day" and SPECIFICALLY installed v1.9.1 on 9/29 and v1.9.2 update on 10/6.....and well, well, well it appears that these dates are in and around the time people have found these problems to arise.  HOW CRAZY would it be that many or most of the people this problem installed Seek Droid as Amazon's free app of the day in or around these dates!!??

Anyway, I FEEL YA with regard to ALL the work you did with the wipe and reset and step by step reinstall of apps.  I've done similar stuff on my phone with my own problems.  Sorry you had to go through what you did but hope you're running smooth and that you helped others.

Speaking of "others"...**I** am going to remove Seek Droid in the morning when I can test the phone by calling from a couple different numbers to see if it works for me!!

Question: did you find ANY numbers in your contacts that did NOT have 10-digit entries?? Do you recall if any of the text error problems were assoicated with any non-10-digit numbers you found??

THANKS FOR YOUR TIME AND WORK!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Based upon your findings, Owlclaw, I posted a comment, information and link to this forum at the SeekDroid Discussion Forum hoping for follow up and comment from the devs.  My post can be followed at the follow link (might not show up right away pending moderation):

http://help.seekdroid.com/discussions/problems/1165-sprint-text-message-error-9230-attributed-to-see...

Here is the "main" link for SeekDroid support:

http://help.seekdroid.com/ (I posted in the "problems" section).

Let's see if there is a response and, hopefully, a fix for their app!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Two things...

First, when I made comments last night I hadn't yet tried Owlclaw's troubleshooting and removal of the app SpeedDroid because my phone was charging.  I had a chance to try this morning and guess what??...removed Speed Droid and NO MORE PROBLEMS FOR ME AS WELL!!

Secondly, an apology...I posted a link in my previous post discussing the Speed Droid issue at that app's discussion/troubleshooting forum.  For some reason the link seems to be "private" though I did NOT intend for that to happen.  I'm trying to "unprivate" it and, hopefully, the link will become public so that those interested here can see comments and information from the app devs

http://help.seekdroid.com/discussions/problems/1165-sprint-text-message-error-9230-attributed-to-see...

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hello,

I am Brian - one of the SeekDroid developers.  First let me say that we are extremely sorry for all of these problems and we are working extremely hard to come up with a fix for this problem.

We think we have an idea of what is going on here but we need a few people to test our fix.  If you are one of the users who have had SeekDroid installed and recently started getting this 9230 error once we added our SMS support please try the following. (The sooner we get a few people to test this issue and report their findings the sooner we can get this problem resolved =))

Do not uninstall SeekDroid.  If you had previously uninstalled SeekDroid then please reinstall.

Next login to SeekDroid and click on to "Your SMS PIN".

Change the default pin of 0000 to SeekDroid

Now click on OK and then hit the back button on your phone/device

Next test the 9230 issue by having someone call you and leave a voice mail.

If you do not get the 9230 message then we have found the issue and we will get an update to SeekDroid pushed out today.

Please reply to either this thread or

I will make sure to keep an eye on both.

Again, I am sorry for this problem and I hope we can get it fixed ASAP!

~Brian Tannous

~SeekDroid Developer

Journeyman

Hello Brian...

I'm actually the one who posted in your forum and got a response from Amir.  I posted the infomation over there just a few minutes ago but posting here so other people can keep up with the issue.

So I reinstalled the app.  I did not...and before posting this issue in the first instance NEVER DID...login or set up an account.  When I reinstalled, I called my phone, let a message and THE PROBLEM OCCURRED.

I then DID, for the first time, create an account, sign in and change the SMS PIN to a non-0000 number.  Called my phone, sent to voicemail and....NO PROBLEM!!

I only tested ONCE and from one number calling me (obviously) but my experiment with your suggestions worked so far!!  I will keep SeekDroid installed and report back if there are any other problems!!

BTW, if you do push out a fix, can you make sure that not only the Market is updated but Amazon's app store as well??  I sometimes find discrepancies between the versions of apps in the Market and at Amazon.  I obtained my version of SeekDroid from the Amazon store...thanks again!!

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat