cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OMG ... if someone can't tell me how to fix this "9230: Message sent using invalid number of digits..." error, I'm going to scream. My husband and I both have Sprint Epic phones and love them EXCEPT for this one problem! Help!

Highlighted
Journeyman

OMG ... if someone can't tell me how to fix this "9230: Message sent using invalid number of digits..." error, I'm going to scream. My husband and I both have Sprint Epic phones and love them EXCEPT for this one problem! Help!

My husband and I both have Spring Epic phones and LOVE them -- except that we can't reply to txts from each other -- WHICH IS WHY WE GOT THE PHONES IN THE FIRST PLACE.   We have 7 lines on our plan, but ONLY OUR TWO phone ones are the ones affected by this "9230 text message not sent" error.  Somehow, the phone is converting the 10-digit number programmed into the contact profile into a 7-digit number ... and not matter how many times we delete the string of texts and delete the contact and re-input the contact ... it does the exact same thing.  over and over and over ....

HASN'T ANYONE FOUND THE ANSWER TO THIS PROBLEM?  WHY IS IT JUST MY HUSBAND'S PHONE AND MY PHONE??  JUST OUR LINES ARE AFFECTED AND NOT THE OTHER 5 LINES ON OUR PLAN. 

If you have spoken to a Sprint rep and they have resolved this problem for you, PLEASE SHARE IT WITH THE REST OF US BEFORE WE ALL GO INSANE. 

THank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!

80 REPLIES 80
Highlighted
Journeyman

@RC1024, you wrote:

Hello Scudderb, usually this problem affects users that may have dialed the person as 7 or 11 digits, and then messaged them, you may be able to find the entry in your call log, or in messages by holding on a message in a conversation and selecting View message Details. If you are using the epic this problem has been documented by samsung. I usually suggest deleting the conversation in messaging, Then clearing the call log, and make sure the contact only has the 10 digit number, if contact exists in more than one place check each location (like facebook, Exchange, Etc.).

You suggested above the possibility of dialing the person using 7 or 11 digits and that is not the case with my phone, either on purpose or by accident.  I had mentioned previously (and do NOT AT ALL expect you or anyone else to have read or recall specifics to my problem!) that with this phone since purpose back in June 2010 I have NEVER dialed OTHER than a 10 digit phone number NOR have I saved a contact with other than a 10-digit phone number.  Could be my wife sitting next to me sharing the same area code and 3 digit exchange...she and everyone else gets dialed with a 10 digit number no matter what.

Matter of fact, my most recent example of this text error code problem was WITH MY WIFE calling me and missing her call at 445pm this afternoon.  As you might imagine, we speak often cell to cell, and have done so WAY BEFORE this error problem arose.  I'm CERTAIN that her contact information and phone number is as it has ALWAYS existed in my phone since June 2010 and I have not made any changes to her contact information or my phone settings.

I find it curious that, like other people, this issue seems to have popped up spontaneously OUT OF NOWHERE, having never happened before in months or even YEARS of using the phone.  Another person in a recent post mentioned this issue starting to occur on or about October 9,  2011.  I am not sure of my specific date but I believe that it was not too soon before that that it happened to me....I would say toward the end of September and NEVER before.  The user Thursty suggests a date of 9/27 and that may very well be the date for me as well.

I do not recall the number the very FIRST time this issue occurred with me but I am CERTAIN that it was a phone number in my contacts that was "declined" and sent to voicemail.  So, since it was a contact that I recognized and was recognized by phone indicating the contact by name rather than just phone number AND since, as I mentioned I never had the problem before and ONLY use and enter/save 10-digit numbers with any of my contacts, this is DEFINITELY a spontaneous Sprint/Network issue affecting NOT just Epic/Samsung phone but at least the EVO and perhaps other HTC phones as well.

While I noticed the first problems arising when I would reject/decline a call and send it to voice mail, like others have mentioned, I ALSO have the problem if I just ignore/miss a call and let it go to voicemail in normal course.  I also notice that it happens with BOTH contacts stored in my phone or from numbers showing up as just digits, not saved in contacts, which my phone has NEVER seen before.

Since, RC1024, you suggested a "strong relationship" between SMS, call log and/or Contacts, I'm going to see if there is ANY evidence of a non-10-digit number hanging around anywhere.  I would be my house I don't have that saved in my Contacts but I'll check other source which may store/import/use phone numbers such as Facebook that you suggest.  I'm also going to delete my entire call log to see if that might clear something out.

I will report back on my findings with the hope of helping others and/or getting to the bottom of this issue...

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

Thank you for the replies.

To JP13090, if they asked you to change the MSID to another value this will cause the phone to fail authentication, We normally suggest just powering the phone off while we refresh network records, primarily home location registers.

To Scudderb, JP13090, and Thursty This thread was initially create to describe a software problem with the Galaxy series in while a user will be sending SMS, back and forth with another, then all of a sudden the thread will contain a non 10 digit number, this is why I mention the relationship between contacts, call log, and SMS. You three are reporting something that I regard as something, which is somewhat different, same results but as far as it seems different mechanisms causing these results. Since it is happening with callers routed to voicemail regardless of if you select reject call, let it roll to voicemail, or if phone is powered off then I feel we are dealing with a problem with voicemail. Have any of you integrated with google voice, do you use sprint voicemail, would you send me a private message so I can look closer?

No longer working Community Response.
Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm at a loss as to how to send you a private message...  No Google voice here.  No Voice to Text.  Just Sprint Voicemail.  If you can send me a PVT MSG, I assume I can just reply to it?  I'd love to find the root of this, especially if it's a voicemail problem.  Thanks!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Click on his\her name and you will goto a profile page, once there look at the right side of the page, there is an option to send Private message.

Highlighted
Master

Had to jump in here.  To JP13090 ~ Just to explain a few things.  The ##...# code you're reporting is your lock code specific to your phone, I'd recommend editing your posts and remove it.  It's used for manually programming the MSID and phone number, however, starting back with our Samsung Instinct, we no longer use this method really. I apologize on behalf of Sprint of one of our Care Technicians lead you to believe otherwise.  Not to mention, changing the MSID, commit mods or not, without changing it in our billing system will simply cause the failures you describe.  Not sure where the tech was going with that one. 

As to the error being correlated to receiving a Voicemail alert only, what about "Voicemail to Text" service.  Have any of the people in this forum reporting the 9230 error when receiving a voicemail alert, ever signed up for or cancelled the voicemail to text service?  And has anyone deleted their "dialer" and "dialer storage" anyway?  Just to test. 

Tom

Highlighted
Journeyman

I only use the normal Sprint/Samsung voicemail that came with the phone.  I do not use Voicemail to Text, Google Voice, etc...  I do not use the Ignore with Text function.  I either answer my phone or I don't, then receive a voicemail, no text involved.  Other than the fact that the error message comes in as a text, texting is in no way associated with my voicemail.  And just to question, if somebody calls me from a number not stored in my phone, so it comes up as an unknown caller, and leaves a message, for which I receive an error message, how would deleting my dialer storage fix this issue?  If I've never called the person, they've never called me, they wouldn't be located in my dialer storage until I receive the call that initiated the error message, correct?  I'm willing to try it if somebody wants to explain how (is this just deleting my calling history?), but I am extremely skeptical.

Highlighted
Master

Ok.  I see your point.  Have you "RTN'd" your phone? 

Tom

Highlighted
Journeyman

i'm sorry.  RTN'd?  explain please.

Highlighted
Master

It's a complete reset of your phone that's different than ALL other resets.  This process will, in addition to erasing all content, also erase the Sprint programming and provisioning information as well as reset the "life timer;" basically like it was fresh out of a box.  Factory resets from the menus and "clear data" commands from the boot loader screen do not perform the above mentioned diffenences. 

We need to rule out 3rd party or corrupt software as a potential cause. 

Tom

Message was edited by: tomdeaver ~ corrected syntax.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I don't know if others have tried this, but I not only can't, but don't feel I should have to.  I actually have texts on my phone that I need for court, and in no way will be doing a factory reset or any other reset that will erase the content on my phone.  I would be interested to know if the others who are having this problem with the voicemail have tried or had success with this though.

Highlighted
Master

I understand.  You can always get back up applications from the market that will actually copy your texts to your storage card which is more safe than the phone's internal memory anyway.  Any others that are willing to try an RTN?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I appreciate what Tom and others have tried to help with and suggested but I'm with thursty:

I don't know if others have tried this, but I not  only can't, but don't  feel I should have to.  I actually have texts on  my phone that I need  for court, and in no way will be doing a factory  reset or any other  reset that will erase the content on my phone.  I  would be interested to  know if the others who are having this problem  with the voicemail have  tried or had success with this though.

There should be NO REASON for us to have to to a factory restore or RTN or whatever "deep"/full reset of the phone.

First,  this issue is NOT phone/manufacturer-specific...I've been in this  discussion because this discussion with the Epic is the most thorough  and active I have seen but I personally have an HTC EVO.  I have a  friend with an Epic with this problem, I have this problem with my EVO  and I know of one other phone that has had this problem from another  forum online but forgot which phone it is.  So we have Samsung and HTC  with this problem.

Secondly, is it VERY VERY CURIOUS  that these issues have arisen in and around the last week of  September/first week of October.  It is LITERALLY as if NONE of us had  problems for however long we've had our phones (for me, the same phone  since June 2010) then ALL OF A SUDDEN this issue comes up.

Thirdly,  my phone is rooted and I routinely do full wipes, flashing ROMs,  nandroid restores and the problem is NOT RESOLVED by very VERY complete  and full wipes of the inner caches, system and root-level files.

Fourthly  (is that a word??  I don't think I ever had a "fourthly" reason!! 🙂 )  I CANNOT believe that this is a "third party issue" because with SO  MANY of us having this problem, rooted and not rooted, Samsung and HTC, I  just CANNOT BELIEVE that we are all suffering from a "third party app"  issue that MIRACULOUSLY reared its head NEVER BEFORE and all during the  last week September/first week October time period or with our  independent use of different third party apps that worked FINE WITHOUT  PROBLEM and then ALL OF A SUDDEN causes this issues...AT THE SAME  TIME...for all of us??

Lastly, based upon the the foregoing and other  people's experiences, I cannot help but think that this is some sort of  WACKY SPRINT NETWORK BUG/ISSUE ...this issue transcends manufacturers,  ROMs, rooted and unrooted phones, etc.  I got a feeling that MOST if not  ALL of the people here who are suffering from this issue did NOTHING  other than use their phone as they had for weeks or MONTHS and then, one  day, literally overnight, this annoying issue pops up.  Its GOTTA BE a  Sprint/Sprint Network issue...problem on SPRINT'S END...because these  error messages are being generated from the SPRINT SIDE of the  process...and generated while we are all using our phone doing NOTHING  DIFFERENT than we have been doing in the beginning of September or  August or January or 2010 😕

Just my feelings...of FRUSTRATION... 😕

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat