cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone Turns Off Randomly and Freezes

Highlighted
Journeyman

Phone Turns Off Randomly and Freezes

Anyone else have this problem? Without warning, the phone will shut off and reboot itself. Other times it will just freeze and can only restart by taking out the battery. One of these things happens once a day. Help!

Tags (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Journeyman

Re: Phone Turns Off Randomly and Freezes

I am just recently having the problem now where it freezes and the only thing I can do is pull the battery out.

(I only just now saw your thread after writing in the "Software Update - FC09" thread):

gunkldunk wrote:

Ever since FC09, my phone has begun to FREEZE solid. Have to completely pull the battery out. Never did that before. Seems to happen at least once every other day, but sometimes on consecutive days. For a while, it seemed as if it always happened as I was driving to work in the morning... I almost begin to suspect something to do with the new "Connections Optimizer" is doing something weird as I travel down the highway (?) - like something is causing it to freeze after trying (and failing) to connect to 4G and various Wi-Fi spots along the way - but that is just a guess.

Journeyman

I dont know how long you have had the phone or this problem.  but i have had it since about a year ago and when i finally agreed to upgrade to the gingerbread software my phone started doing this same thing. in about january this problem along with my phones internet forclosing and rebooting the phone got so bad i just couldnt take it and there started about my 6 month journey with sprint to try and fix it!! i have had numerous hard resets and that hasnt worked i have had 2 replacement phones one refurbished and one brand new and both have the same problem. i finally after 6 months talked them into giving me a replacement phone that was an epic but i go to the store and they scare me into saying that the epic is the best off the list.. i just simply want a phone that works that i can downloa the same apps that everyone else uses and play games with them!! i cant understand or accept that i have a phone and pay internet and 3g services but cant use it like i should..... i wish you better luck than i had!!!

Wizard

My epic will occasionally freeze and I'll need to pull the battery.  My device is fairly stock without many apps installed and it still happens to me...but then, my laptop requires a restart much more than my phone ever has.  

Do you have a lot of apps downloaded to the device?  Sometimes an app will not be compatible and could cause issues.  If so, I'd do a hard reset (I know...everyone hates to hear that) and re-add the apps one by one so you can try to isolate whether one of them is causing a problem. 

Wizard

boozeco2005, are you still having the problem with your phone rebooting?  Not sure what all you've tried, but I'd suggest the same as I did for senoraperry.

Wizard

Can you turn off the Optimizer and see if this still happens? 

Here are the steps:

Settings > Wireless & Network > Mobile Networks > Automatic Connections   and  unchecking Sprint automatic connections
Journeyman

I was trying to avoid the hard reset option, but I think we'll have to do that . The steps you gave to turn off the optimizer don't work for me. I get to Mobile Networks and there is only "3g data" to check or uncheck.

Thanks for the advice! I was just hoping to avoid the restart if there was another way. Sounds like a lot of folks tried that and it still is buggy. Maybe loading the same bad apps?

Journeyman

Had my Epic for about a year now luckily it was a new phone and not a referb, and though out every update the phone improved in its performance for the most part UNTIL the FC09 update. When this P.O.S. update rolled out my phone went insane with screen freezes and just all around "goes stupid", and the only thing that seems to solve this problem is a batt pull. I am not new to the Android OS so I know how to set my phone up for my optimal use, including opting out of the "optimizer" forced upon my phone but it still runs no matter what I do. I'm running a completely stock phone, and for now don't want to root it. I'm still a year from an upgrade and I like the coverage and service I have had so far but if Sprint can't or wont roll out with an improvement soon another customer just might find a different home elsewhere. SPRINT PLEASE FIX OUR PHONES!!!! THIS IS CRAP THAT FC09 HAS DONE THIS TO MY BELOVED EPIC 4G!!!

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat