Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone locks up (goes black)

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

Phone locks up (goes black)

I have had the Epic for 6 weeks and have been having problems with the phone part. When I place a call, the screen goes black, without putting it up to my ear. And it won't come back, no matter what you do until after the other party hangs up. You  cannot access your speaker-phone, mute, dial pad, end call button or  any other in call feature. Sprint says its a typical hardware problem  and they want me to give the phone back to get a refurbished one. Am I  the only one that has a problem with that? I just paid a fortune for  this phone, NEW, 6 weeks ago and I do not want a refurbished one. If I  did, I would have waited awhile and paid a third of the price! Any other  options I may have??

Tags (2)
18 REPLIES 18
Wizard

Re: Phone locks up (goes black)

Does the screen not come back on if you press the Power button?  What is your screen timeout set to?  The screen timeout setting can be found by going  to Settings > Sounds & Display > Screen Timeout.

Journeyman

No, NOTHING makes it come back on until the other party hangs up. And if I get someones voice mail it is a nightmare! You have to wait for their message to time out and disconnect you.

It has nothing at all to do with my screen timing out. It is set at 30 minutes just to be certain. As soon as I push "Call" the screen goes black. All buttons and functions become useless.

This isn't my first phone, and I have a computer programming degree, but this is something I have never encountered before.

Wizard

I'm not seeing any issues reported that sound like the one you're having.

Before you resort to exchanging your device, try a factory reset.  This will restore your phone to factory settings and remove any apps, settings, etc. that you have on the phone.  I've heard good things about My Backup Pro ($4.99 on Android Market) to backup your data to your SD card so you can restore it after the reset.  Be sure to remove your SD card before performing the factory reset.  

To factory reset your device:

1. Turn off your phone.
2. Hold the volume down, camera and power buttons until the system recovery screen appears.
3. Use the volume keys to scroll to wipe data/factory reset and select that option using the home key.
4. You will see a warning on the screen telling you that you are  about to reset your phone and erase all your personal information.
5. Press the volume up key to proceed. Press the volume down button to exit and not reset your phone.
6. After the reset is complete, use the home key to select reboot system now.
7. Your phone will turn off and turn back on.

Let me know if you've already tried this or what the result is if/when you do.

Journeyman

Actually, it is a "known issue" with the epic and an update is in the works, but does not have a release date.

Before my first posting I had the phone "wiped" and it still didn't help.

I have finally gotten ahold of someone today at corporate that authorized a brand new phone exchange.

It should arrive in a few days. I will update if it truly is new, and it solves the problem, or inherently has the same one.

Journeyman

hey i have been having the same problem and how did u manage to get a new phone becuase they told me the same that i will have to get a refurbished phone and i just walked out the store

Wizard

There is a known issue with the screen going black that is included in the next maintenance release, but it's not isolated to only when you're making a phone call.  It's not the same problem you were having...exchanging the phone was really your best option. 

Journeyman

I just emailed Dan@sprint.com and they took it from there. Good luck.

I walked out on my local store 3 times because they wouldn't help or only offered a "refurb" because they said they had a "quota" to meet on taking in phones, and giving out "refurbs".

Maybe they should have a quota on customer service, and retaining good, loyal, Sprint Premiere customers instead!

Journeyman

yea I am having a hassel they tried giving that 30 day BS but I told them I had the phone since it was released so what they told me was they will order me a replacement he didnt tell me if it was going to be new or not till he received it but now i really dont care what I get because with my luck today I forgot to put my phone back in its case and it fell when I got out my car and wow did I scratch the phone really good wow was I pist off. but ur lucky getting a new one so well see what luck I have when they call me to go back.

Journeyman

Any updates on this issue?  I picked up an Epic last week and am having the same exact problem with the screen going black after I've dialed but before I pick it up and bring it close to my ear.  So it doesn't seem to purely be a proximity sensor issue.  The frustrating thing is that the problem isn't consistent, although it is progressively becoming more frequent.  It doesn't seem to matter if I initiate the call or am receiving a call.  Receiving a call is less of an issue because the other party usually hangs up, but I can't ignore an incoming call then.  I can't do anything else until the other party hangs up.  I also chatted with Samsung service and they were completely clueless or deceptive.  Obviously this is a real pain if I don't want to leave a voicemail or if I'm trying to dial-in to a conference call and can't dial the conference call code before the screen goes black.  I've tried sliding the keyboard and hitting the power button.  This doesn't seem to have anything to do with the screen timeout settings either (at least there, the phone wakes up when I touch the power button).  I'm wondering if there is an app compatibility issue, a firmware issue, or a hardware issue.  I'd have to guess that it's firmware or maybe a loose component connection somewhere.

The only work around that I've tried that kind of works is dialing the number and then going to a different screen away from the dialpad and then coming back to the dialpad if I need to type additional digits or hit the mute button.  But this is sloppy.

Journeyman

This is EXACTLY what was happening to my phone and the only resolution was to replace the phone. Regular customer service was no help, nor was the local store, but as I stated before, emailing Dan@sprint.com really worked! You don't get Dan, but you do get some girls that make things happen.

The other work around I found, though not 100%, was when you make the call if you can hit the speaker button immediately, before it goes black, you can sometimes save the call.

By the way, so far, the new Epic works great, and I'm thrilled because I really like the phone......but only time will tell.

Journeyman

I am having the exact same problem.

If I make a call and wind up in someone's voice mail the phone goes black.

You can not hang up/disconnect or anything.

I quickly scramble to remove the battery.(Very dangerous while driving)

Also when I am talking on the phone sometimes my ear apparently activates WiFi/4G/Bluetooth or GPS.

I called Sprint Customer Service yesterday and they told me they were unaware of this.

They offered to make me an appointment at a Sprint Service Center.

Come on Sprint Step Up!

Message was edited by: POPC1234

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat