cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone won't restart during/after gingerbread update

Highlighted
Journeyman

I first recieved an update notice early in the morning on Nov. 12. There were many instructions to follow to get the update and I couldn't install it then. I received another notice around 10pm that said update install now or install later. Since my battery was almost dead I couldn't install it then. I charged the battery during the night and when I unplugged the battery at around 5 this morning I noticed I had another update alert so I clicked it and chose update now. It acted like it was working and said the phone would restart to finish updating. It's now 7:25 and the phone has not yet restarted. It seems to be trying to, the Galaxy S screen followed by the Sprint 4G start up screen has played repeatedly since then. After 30 minutes of this I did try taking the battery out but to no avail. Any help would be appreciated. I have not tried popping out the memory card. Should I try this? On the upside though, the screen has been on this long and the phone isn't even warm.

17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Journeyman

nothing wrong with the sd card the problem is that youre stuck with the bootlooping. the only way to fix it by pullin the battery with the phone off reinsert the battery and press Vol Down+Camera+Power. This will boot you into recovery mode. Use the vol keys to scroll down to wipe/system reset (youll loose everything saved on the phone) and reboot the phone. That is the only method at the moment hope this helps you.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Good Morning, I just received the epic gingerbread update and I have the same problem. My phone will not restart and has been switching between the Samsung and Sprint screens. This has been going on for about an hour. Does anyone have a solution that doesn't involve loosing all my info? I would call customer service but it's alittle hard to do without my phone! Thank you in advance.

Highlighted
Journeyman

After receiving the OTA update, I'm having the exact same problem and would also rather not lose everything.  Any advice on what to do?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I was excited to wake up and receive Gingerbread OTA. Not anymore.  My phone has been restarting for two hours now! Didn't want to factory reset cause I didn't backup any of my files that don't recide on the SD. 

Factory Reset the phone.  Worked o__0

Thanks Sprint/Samsung.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have the same problem with my phone. Considering how long it took for this phone to get Gingerbread this is completely unacceptable. I refuse to lose everything I have on my phone. Wiping it clean is not a viable solution for an update that took this long to come out!!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

same problem here .. WTF!

Highlighted
Journeyman

had to do a hard reset .. still recovering from the carnage

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm exetremely upset!

I was skeptical about updating because the last time I updated (to FROYO), the sound would occasionally go low; so that my alarm and phone calls to me would be useless.   I would have to power off and on to get it back to normal.

The gingerbread update kept popping up on my phone and I was hoping that it would fix this problem.

All night the phone would keep rebooting not getting out of the reboot screen and the battery finally died.

I looked on the websites to find out the only way to get my phone to work was to reset and wipe out all data on the phone with no way of saving anything before I do this (THIS WIPES OUT PHOTOS OF MY KIDS, TRIPS, HOLIDAYS..ETC.   THIS ALSO WIPES OUT CONTACTS (I had important business phone numbers on it) AND PAID FOR PROGRAMS THAT WERE NOT CONVERTED TO THE SD).

This phone is now not recognizing programs on the SD card.  I was afraid the sd card was reformatted also, so I hooked it up to my computer and I see that there are files on the sd card.

How do I get this phone to recognize programs on the SD card???

When I updated to gingerbread, I was never told to back up contacts and pics etc. before I updated.       I am pissed!!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Phone won't restart during/after gingerbread update

I found a way to reset your phone and not lose your pics. Hopefully you already have your contacts saved to gmail or some other back up app like Lookout. Also, you can get the apps back by going to the Android Market on the internet and logging in then telling it to redowload onto your phone.

Power off the phone (had to pull the battery)

Remove the SD Card

Boot into recovery mode (Hold volume down, camera and power buttons)

peform a reset to factory defaults (use the Vol to scroll up & down then use the "House" soft key to select)

This booted the phone correctly and I was able to keep my Pics. So now I will redownload my contacts from gmail/lookout and redownload my apps from the android market on the internet and I will be back to normal.

Highlighted

TIMMYT12323 wrote:

I'm exetremely upset!

I was skeptical about updating because the last time I updated (to FROYO), the sound would occasionally go low; so that my alarm and phone calls to me would be useless.   I would have to power off and on to get it back to normal.

The gingerbread update kept popping up on my phone and I was hoping that it would fix this problem.

All night the phone would keep rebooting not getting out of the reboot screen and the battery finally died.

I looked on the websites to find out the only way to get my phone to work was to reset and wipe out all data on the phone with no way of saving anything before I do this (THIS WIPES OUT PHOTOS OF MY KIDS, TRIPS, HOLIDAYS..ETC.   THIS ALSO WIPES OUT CONTACTS (I had important business phone numbers on it) AND PAID FOR PROGRAMS THAT WERE NOT CONVERTED TO THE SD).

This phone is now not recognizing programs on the SD card.  I was afraid the sd card was reformatted also, so I hooked it up to my computer and I see that there are files on the sd card.

How do I get this phone to recognize programs on the SD card???

When I updated to gingerbread, I was never told to back up contacts and pics etc. before I updated.       I am ******!!!

Anything on your SD card should not be touched by the update or a factory reset. I've done many resets without removing my SD card and have never lost a picture. As far as your contacts, if you have them set up correctly, they should automatically sync to your google account and all you have to do is add your google account back to the phone and it will download all your contacts.

If you did a factory reset, the apps you moved to SD will no longer be recognized, you will need to redownload them. If you have programs you paid for, you are able to download them again as long as you sign into the same account on your phone as you originally used to buy them.

If you have sycn'd your Google account correctly with your contacts, the only thing you should lose during a factory reset are installed apps and their associated data (saved games, etc). But you can redownload all those again.

Highlighted
Journeyman

When I looked on my SD card from my computer.  I could find no pics.

When I went to gallery on the phone, THE PICS WERE STILL THERE.  Thank the lord....I have 910 pics on it.  This was the most important thing for me.

I synced with google, but my contacts are still gone.  I don't remember this option with FROYO, but there is an import/export button to transfer contacts to the SD card with gingerbread.  It is a little too late for me.

For the apps, I went to google and about 5 of my approximately 50 apps said they were not installed.   These 5 seem to be most of the ones that I paid for.  So far, they are reinstalling without me having to pay for them again.

There still are about 45 apps I do not know how to recover from the SD card. (this is not a big deal because in time, I just remember them and install them).

Before, I was mad as a midget at disneyland; now, I am upset like a one-eyed customer at a 3d imax movie theater.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat