cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please HELP with OTW update Please Help needed

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hello I want my Froyo so decided to do it manualy first backed up everything on sd card to pc ..   http://ars.samsung.com/customer/usa/jsp/faqs/faqs_view_us.jsp?SITE_ID=22&PG_ID=2&PROD_SUB_ID=557&PRO...  heres the official samsung site on how to update, I can not get past except the(except) agreement on step three after install there is simply NO next botton only a exit when Im on step that opens program screen on begining of step three ...whats going on Thanks for help

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Journeyman

They pulled the update yesterday ota and otw because of problems.

Highlighted
Wizard

You might try the Mac method at http://ars.samsung.com/customer/usa/jsp/faqs/faqs_view_us.jsp?SITE_ID=22&PG_ID=2&PROD_SUB_ID=557&PRO... instead.  I think Mac users have to use this and not the Windows installer tool, but Windows users can use the Mac method if they want.  That's how I manually updated my phone earlier this week.  It looks to me like the update.zip file is still there, but I'm not certain.  They might have pulled it, too, and if not, might be doing so soon.  I hope this is of some help.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yes the UPDATE is still at samsung 200mg download.   Thanks Ill try the mac method yhough I have XP, wish me luck

Highlighted
Journeyman

not gonna due mac thing ugh way out of my league!!!  .....Please HELP samsung OTW download NOT SUSPENEDED file is Epic4G_froyoupgrade_EB13_tool  , setuplauncher I open it up it created a 331mb file I cant get past first step of PART THREE..somebody HELP advice something..thanks

Highlighted
Wizard

Re: Please HELP with OTW update Please Help needed

The Mac update actually isn't that hard to do.  It's how I updated my phone, and I have a Windows machine.  If you want somewhat simpler instructions than the Samsung site may have provided, here are some quoted from http://www.androidcentral.com/how-manually-update-your-epic-4g-android-221-froyo :

1. Download the update from Samsung. Hint: Just download the Mac version, even if you have a PC. The file you download will be the update.zip.
  2. Move the update.zip file to your SD card
  3. Turn off your phone.
  4. Hold the Volume Down and Camera buttons, then press the power button.
  5. The update should automatically launch itself. Sit back and relax.
  6. Reboot the phone.

I think I actually had to select the update for step 5, using volume up/down to find my choice and the Home button to select it, but I think that's the only difference I noticed from what they said.  If the update.zip file is still available for download, and it might not be considering Sprint said they were pulling the update due to some issues, this ought to work.  I hope this helps.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Does updating using this method cause any data loss? I was going to use the windows installer from Samsung until I saw that it would wipe everything. The Mac method looks easier and doesn't explicitly tell you there will be data loss.

Highlighted
Wizard

As far as I could tell, I didn't lose anything when I used that update.zip method, and from what I remember reading, others who did it also kept their apps and data.  I suppose to be safe, you should back up everything anyway, just in case, but I think the update.zip method won't wipe your phone.  If I'm not mistaken, it's basically the OTA, but without waiting for the update to be pushed out to you, and the OTA doesn't wipe the phone -- I'm sure someone can correct me if I'm wrong here though.

Highlighted
Journeyman

first thanks for responses...UPDATED TO FROYO YAHOO MOFO's no problems running amazing...i did the samsung site for pc update found out problem screen was generic size for update,,so i reduced my DPI on my pc back to normal and the whole samsung scree finaly fit so I couls continue, then followed steps their now my epic kicks ASS and NO Problems --2.2.1 ie EPIC...so its 2/27/11  go to samsong site update as follows you'll get no bugs...heres what happened on internal of phone contacts and free apps were wiped...everything saved on SD card still there reloaded all my free apps and paid ones were one click reloading..phone like it was but faster cooler smoother and huge gains in all bencm marks very happt..

Highlighted
Journeyman

So I used the Mac update method from Samsung (even though I have a PC), and everything worked perfectly. No data loss, and far less complicated than following the directions for Windows PC. Three days in I am very pleased with the results and have not experienced any of the problems that halted Sprint's official rollout.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat