cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Epic 4G Gingerbread Update EI22 PROBLEMS....FIX...FIX...FIX!

Journeyman

Pagsoo wrote:

Try a different cable....one from a camera or what ever you have ...or you may need to buy one.Use the XDA web site very smart and helpful people there.Check out the videos by

QBking 77 on youtube....I was having all these problems with GB on my phone and my wifes(both Epics)I am running a great rom (samurai  kernel)   On hers I am running a stock GB update with the

EB 13 modem.....no problems.....Hope this helps...

EI22 was slower than Froyo when I updated, but everything worked OK.  When the whole Carrier IQ debacle hit, I decided to root the phone.  XDA, ACS, and QBking77 are great.  I now have a tweaked EI22 rom without CIQ, and the phone is even snappier than it was with Froyo (I have the EI22 modem and also like it very much).  Superuser access also opens up other nice goodies.  I like this phone now as much as (maybe more than) my wife's Photon and my best friends Epic Touch.

Journeyman

EEDWARDS

You can also try a powered USB hub.  For some reason my PC will not recognize my phone through any ports on the box.  It used to.  But with more devices I needed a hub and it hasn't had a problem finding it yet.  I haven't gone to Gingerbread yet as I'm kinda stuck with a phone that is rooted, isn't recognized AT ALL in download mode, and refuses to be wiped clean!  Once I get GB up I'll post my progress.

Journeyman

I am posting my reply here although my problems are not with the usb but are with the recent Gingerbread update.

I am so fed up with Sprint and the changes they are making to the service and program offerings, as well as updates that do not work. I own a Samsung Epic and this was my first time getting an update to the operating system. Ever since the update to Gingerbread, performance has been terrible.

For starters, the volume sucks. Volume is set at the lowest setting but when answering a call; it is soooo loud that it almost practically blows out my eardrum. So much so I cannot put the phone to my ear but have to place it as far away just to listen. What's worse, when I use my earpiece it's even louder. One of my callers asked if they were on speakerphone which they were not, but this is what it sounded like to them and to me. For what it's worth, the phone has a mind of its own and sometimes will decrease in volume unexpectedly without notice. But the minute the battery is removed and replaced for any reason, there goes the problematic painful, excruciating volume issue again! Fix this Sprint!

Secondly, with Froyo, while on a call I had the ability to access notifications if an email or text message came in and I could view it while talking. With Gingerbread, you cannot even pull up the text message or the email. You may see the text briefly in the notification bar at the top of the screen but you cannot tap the bar to bring up the message. You have to literally exit to the home screen, go to notifications from the menu and then read the text or email. This is just too much work and a major inconvenience to the subscriber! Fix this Sprint!

Third, when typing a message and having to make a correction, cut, copy, or paste with Swype or QWERTY, with Froyo I used to be able to either select the world by holding the handle until it turned dark blue and then select, copy, cut, or paste my word or tap to place the cursor where I needed and select my option from the clipboard menu. With Gingerbread, there's only one option. And the cursor jumps all over the place in the message. I have to keep hitting the screen to get the cursor to stay where I need it to be then fight to keep it there or keep it from switching back to the word the system automatically chooses to underline. It also does not give you a shortcut option to hold the handle at the cursor but you have to literally move the cursor to the beginning of the word or sentence, then select copy or cut from the on screen menu. Additionally, when you select the word or sentence, the range cursors are unstable, moves and flicker back and forth preventing you from adequately selecting the word or phrase. It frustrates me to the point that I delete the entire message and start all over. This is unacceptable!! Fix it Sprint!!

Fourth, I cannot access Yahoo.com email on the phone at all.

Fifth, one of the games I purchased had been removed after the update Sprint reimbursed the cost and I was able to re-download, but still it was an inconvience.

Sixth, videos are loading slower than ever and cut off in the middle of viewing.

Seventh, Internet speed is awful and search functionality sucks. Some pages won't even load or load and get stuck in the middle of loading. Sprint, please fix this!!!

And don't get me started with the type of service I get when I contact Sprint for help or even to make them aware of the problems I am having with this system. When I called I was told to take the battery out for 30 seconds then replace and turn the phone on which they hoped would resolve the problem. Not!!! As I explained to the rep, I tried this numerous times before I contacted Sprint and I really did not want to do this because it would make the volume issue worse, but she insisted. And I did. And it did... make the problem worse.

I am with you in that I refuse to go into the store and have them roll back the phone to Froyo because it will only produce an automatic update to the problematic Gingerbread system. so here's my suggestions.

IN MY OPINION, THIS IS WHAT I BELIEVE SPRINT NEEDS TO DO:

PLEASE LISTEN TO YOUR CUSTOMER CONCERNS AND COMPLAINTS AND FIX THE ISSUES!! IT IS NOT GOOD WHEN YOU CHOOSE TO IGNORE THEM OR SEND YOUR CUSTOMERS THROUGH THE UNWARRANTED PROCESS OF PROVIDING INVALUABLE RECOMMENDATIONS, ANSWERS THAT DON'T WORK, OR SUGGEST CUSTOMERS GO INTO A STORE KNOWING THIS WILL NOT SOLVE THE PROBLEM. GET YOUR DEVELOPERS OR TECH GUYS (WHATEVER YOU CALL THEM) TO FIX THESE PROBLEMS. PERIOD!

SPRINT, ALTHOUGH THERE ARE MANY CELL PHONE PROVIDERS AVAILABLE THAT YOU ARE AWARE WE HAVE THE OPTION OF CHOOSING, BUT AS A LONG TIME CUSTOMER, AS FOR WHAT I AM SEEING IN THE LEVEL OF SERVICE I HAVE RECEIVED IN THE PAST YEAR AS WELL AS CHANGES YOU CONTINUE TO MAKE WITH PRODUCT OFFERINGS, YOU ARE GOING TO LOSE MANY, MANY CUSTOMERS. I BEING ONE OF THEM.

I HAVE BEEN WITH THE COMPANY 11 YEARS AND IN ALL MY YEARS, I CANNOT EVEN BEGIN TO EXPLAIN MY DISSATIFACTION OR DISAPPOINTMENT IN THE EXPERIENCES I HAVE HAD WITH SPRINT. NOR HAVE I SEEN OR HEARD ANYTHING THAT REMOTELY COMPARES TO THE SERVICE AND PRODUCT OFFERINGS I WAS ACCUSTOMED TO OVER THE PAST 9+ YEARS. IT ALSO DOESN'T HELP TO SEND A LETTER TO THE CEO DAN HESSE BECAUSE HE DOESN'T CARE.

AND MY FINAL OBSERVATION, TO MAKE MATTERS WORSE, I WAS TOLD BY ONE OF YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE REPS THAT SPRINT WILL NO LONGER OFFER THE ONE-YEAR UPGRADE PROGRAM BUT CUSTOMERS WILL BE SUBJECTED TO WAITING 2 - 2 1/2 YEARS BEFORE BEING ALLOWED TO UPGRADE. THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE AND POORLY REFLECTS ON SPRINT'S CORE VALUES AND THE COMPANY I BELIEVED IN AS A WHOLE. MY QUESTION THEN BECOMES, IS THIS REPRESENTATIVE OF WHAT YOUR COMPANY HAS REDUCED ITSELF TO AND WHAT WE AS CUSTOMERS ARE TO LOOK FORWARD TO IN THE FUTURE?

REALLY SPRINT? WHAT'S REALLY GOING ON AND WHY?

I REALLY HOPE YOU PLEASE TAKE HEED TO MY CONCERNS AS WELL AS THE CONCERNS OF OTHER CUSTOMERS SO THAT YOU EFFECTIVELY, EFFICIENTLY, AND RESPONSIBLY MEET YOUR CUSTOMER NEEDS. AFTER ALL, EVENTUALLY YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO DO SOMETHING...SOMETHING THAT WILL SAVE AND NOT DIMINISH YOUR REPUTATION AS A SOLID COMPANY OR SEND YOUR COMPANY AND ITS PROFITS DOWN THE DRAIN.

THANK YOU.

JOAYNN

If you don't like changes....you bought the wrong phone. A few of the changes you mentioned (the way to select text) are due to a change in the Android operating system itself and is nothing Sprint or Samsung did. What do you mean there is only one option? I can select a word or all and then cut or copy it and paste it where I want it.

For the volume issue, a workaround has been mentioned here many times. With the phone far enough away from your face to allow the screen be on, turn the volume up and then down. It will then work like it should.

Sprint can't fix the problems...Samsung has to...and there is a maintenance release in the works.

Yes, the yearly upgrade program was dropped...supposedly to keep offering unlimited data. You can now upgrade every 20 months....not 2 1/2 years.

For Yahoo email, have you tried using the app available in the market?

Journeyman

Your response: If you don't like changes....you bought the wrong phone. A few of the changes you mentioned (the way to select text) are due to a change in the Android operating system itself and is nothing Sprint or Samsung did. What do you mean there is only one option? I can select a word or all and then cut or copy it and paste it where I want it.

MY RESPONSE: Did I say I don't like changes? NO. Please read my post again. I said I am fed up with the changes along with other issues I seem to be having with Sprint based on my own personal experiences the past few months. As well as dislike the answers I keep getting from Sprint in comparison to the same answer I seem to have gotten from you, "It's not somthing Sprint or Samsung did, but something done by the Android market."

And NO, I do not think I bought the wrong phone. Why do you think this is the case? And do you work for Sprint or Samsung? I ask because I would like to know who are you to make such a statement. Not what I was expecting.

As for your response, I would have felt better if maybe you had only explained that it is "The Android operating system and not something Sprint or Samsung did without adding the "If you don't like the changes...you bought the wrong phone" comment.  Then, maybe I would have received your response in a more intelligent manner.

Additionally, you say it is due to a change in the Android operating system, but if I remember correctly, isn't it Sprint who made the change to the system based on the requests of customers? Or better yet, who made the change period because your message board clearly identifies Sprint as making the changes based upon customer requests. Not to mention this is what I specifically was told by the Sprint customer service rep. So, do I have it all wrong? Help me if I am misunderstanding something or if I am getting the wrong information. And if it wasn't Sprint, then can't Sprint make suggestions to Samsung or whoever is responsible for the change in a collaborative effort when such complaints or concerns are received so that the highest customer service experience is achieved since Sprint is the COMPANY that offers the phone and the service? Any suggestions?

Side note, just so you know, I am not familiar with this "Android" stuff. This is my first time working with an Android phone, but with all the problems I seem to have been having since the first day I purchased this phone, I have been trying to be patient with Sprint. But with the recent change, I have lost my patience. And if I my original response seemed a bit harsh, forgive me. However, with the recent changes, it has sent me over the top. It would definitely help too if you read my concerns with an open mind and provide suggestions that would help me gain a better understanding to how this all works instead of making the suggestion you did. It doesn't mean that my concerns are not valid or that I may need to buy a different phone as with your suggestion "I may have bought the wrong phone." For me, it just means that maybe Sprint needs to listen, take into consideration my concerns, and work to fix the problem.

What do you mean there is only one option? I can select a word or all and then cut or copy it and paste it where I want it.

Please read my post again. Are you even familiar with this particular process I am referencing? I said, "with Gingerbread", when the cursor appears, you do not have the option to press and hold the bottom of the cursor marker to select the text to copy. It can only be selected when the clipboard appears after placing the cursor in front of the word or phrase. This is the only option. Froyo gave you the option to select the text after pressing the bottom of the cursor marker right at the point where the cursor was placed, highlight it from there and copy OR you could also select the text from the clipboard, highlight and copy.

For the volume issue, a workaround has been mentioned here many times. With the phone far enough away from your face to allow the screen be on, turn the volume up and then down. It will then work like it should.

I will try that.

Sprint can't fix the problems...Samsung has to...and there is a maintenance release in the works.

OK.

Yes, the yearly upgrade program was dropped...supposedly to keep offering unlimited data. You can now upgrade every 20 months....not 2 1/2 years.

OK. Twenty months is still more than 12, so do you really think that makes it better? Customers are looking at an additional eight months before being given the opportunity to upgrade their phone. That's only four months shy of making a change with the phone. For me personally, I think that is too long. Many companies offer the unlimited data and still give customers the 12 month upgrade option, so what's your point? Please let me know so I can gain a better understanding.

For Yahoo email, have you tried using the app available in the market?

No, I never had to do this before when accessing Yahoo from the Internet and I really don't understand why I should have to now. Is there another option available where I do not have to use an app? I only want to access it through the Internet as I have without going through the expense of downloading an app to do so. Any other suggestions?

And just for the record, I will take some of your suggestions into consideration as well as take your comments along with mine and send them to Sprint. Maybe since this is not their doing or Samsung's, my bringing it to their attention may bring awareness to the problems I am having and possibly may help Sprint appropriately address them so that adequate resolution is found through collaborative efforts with the Android market.

Thank you.

Re: Samsung Epic 4G Gingerbread Update EI22 PROBLEMS....FIX...FIX...FIX!

I suggested maybe you bought the wrong phone because some of your complaints were about changes made and the software on Android phones is constantly changing and things that used to work one way in one version, don't always work that way in another. There were quite a few more changes between Eclair and Froyo on the Epic and everyone had to figure out how to do stuff again that didn't work the same way any more. Changes between Froyo and Gingerbread were minimal. I doubt the Epic will get an update to the next version, Ice Cream Sandwich, but once again a lot of things changed between versions.

Earlier this year Google started requring all handset makers that use Android to support the phone with updates to newer versions of software for 18 months after the phones release. I would imagine this is why the Epic got Gingerbread. Sprint / Samsung have never listened to requests for updates to certain versions in the past, so I doubt they did this time either but was because it was a requirement by Google. And yes, Sprint reports problems back to Samsung but in the end, it is up to Samsung to make the fixes and release another version for Sprint to send out.

I'm still confused as to what you are talking about with the text selection. But then it's been several months since I ran Froyo. I'm still able to select the text by pressing the cursor marker. It doesn't change color or anything but if you hold it for a second a menu will pop up with options to select all or select word. If you select word, it will select the word nearest the cursor, or you can drag the markers to select something else. Once you have done that you get the menu for copy and cut.

snap20111217_093107.png  snap20111217_093119.png

No, I don't think 20 months for an upgrade is better than 12 and I don't like it either. But if Sprint is looking for ways to save money, I'd rather them do that then get rid of unlimited data. Giving the upgrade discounts yearly costs Sprint a lot of money because they still have to pay the manufacturer for the phones that they are selling you at the deep discount. Other carriers don't have yearly upgrades...nor does anyone else have unlimited data any more.

For Yahoo email, you are saying you can't access it using the web browser? What exactly doesn't work with it? It works on mine. Try clearing the cache and data for the web browser. Internet->menu->settings->more settings and then scroll down to find the option to clear cache and other types of data if you want. The Yahoo email app is free and most likely works better than the mobile web site.

Journeyman

In response to your specific issues of volume, notification bar, Yahoo.com, and videos...

All these work on my device just as they had before.  I notice the connectivity issue though, makes sense since the modem was updated as well and signal reception is not the same.  Sounds like perhaps there was an issue with your specific update.  Have you tried going into a Sprint store and having them check it?  I doubt phone support can do much for you on their end.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thank you very much for the detailed explanation below. Since it was  my first time ever having an update to my phone, I was clueless to what  to expect and what I was required to do. But with your explanation, this  helps a lot. I now have a clearer understanding and am aware what I  will need to do with making sure my phone works properly. Thank you.

"There were quite a few more changes between Eclair and  Froyo on the Epic  and everyone had to figure out how to do stuff again  that didn't work  the same way any more. Changes between Froyo and  Gingerbread were  minimal. I doubt the Epic will get an update to the  next version, Ice  Cream Sandwich, but once again a lot of things  changed between versions."

In regards to your confusion with the text selection,  the difference is with the menu as I put in quotes in your response. In  the image you provided the text can be selected by pressing the cursor  marker but only after the menu pops up. With Froyo, I could select the  text by holding down the cursor marker right at the point where I needed  to make the change without having to wait for a menu to appear. The  cursor marker would change colors from light blue to dark blue right at  the point of insertion and then I could cut or copy from there. I also  had the option to use the pop up menu, but I liked using the other  method because it was fast and involved only one step. I hope this  helps.

"I'm still confused as to what you  are talking about with the text  selection. But then it's been several  months since I ran Froyo. I'm  still able to select the text by pressing  the cursor marker. It "doesn't  change color or anything but if you hold it for a second a menu will pop  up" with options to select all or select word. If you select word, it  will  select the word nearest the cursor, or you can drag the markers to   select something else. Once you have done that you get the menu for copy   and cut.

Your remaining responses are  appreciated. Unlimited data can be advantageous over increased pricing,  so I guess I will take this one too as a benefit. As for the Yahoo  issue, I will take a look at the app and go from there.

Thank you.

Journeyman

In response to your specific issues of volume, notification bar, Yahoo.com, and videos...

All  these work on my device just as they had before.  I notice the  connectivity issue though, makes sense since the modem was updated as  well and signal reception is not the same.  Sounds like perhaps there  was an issue with your specific update.  Have you tried going into a  Sprint store and having them check it?  I doubt phone support can do  much for you on their end.

No, I have not gone into a Sprint store. I noticed today, though, that while using Facebook on my phone, I received a text message and was able to pull down the notification bar to access the text message without navigating away from my Facebook page. So, something's working. And maybe you're right that there could have been an issue with my specific update. If I continue to experience problems with the phone, I will take it into a Sprint store for assistance.

Thank you.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat