cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Epic 4G Gingerbread Update EI22 PROBLEMS....FIX...FIX...FIX!

Journeyman

I am so unhappy with this GINGERBREAD update. Now that I updated my phone neither my laptop or desktop recognizes my phone when I connect through the usb cable. Before the update I was able to debug on my laptop which operates on Windows 7 64-bit and my desktop which operates on Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit. Then I went back to the Sprint Store and had them roll my phone back to Froyo. When I got home and connect my phone to both my laptop and my desktop they recognized my phone again. Then the very next day my phone forced me to update again now I'm back to where I started again. Drivers are not being recognized. When I plug my phone in my phone shows USB Connected but of course the computer are not picking up the connection. What burns me up even more is I have paid for program through the Android Market that requires me to use my debugging. My debugging was working just find and then we get this stupid GINGERBREAD update that apparently wasn't properly tested. So now I'm being ripped off cause the programs I paid my money for are useless thanks to GINGERBREAD EI22. Samsung needs to send a fix real quick before I cancel my cell phone contract and take my money elsewhere. I've been a Sprint customer to long to have issues with a phone that was working just fine then along comes and update and my phone is now worthless. I really hope Sprint gets this issue fixed with Samsung cause at the store I go to everyone is complaining about this update and having their phones rolled back to Froyo which I find is a waste of time cause you end up getting another update on your phone and forced to have to go back to the GINGERBREAD crap. Words can't even describe how angry I am right now. Please fix the problem!

20 REPLIES 20

My phone is detected fine by my PC and Laptop (both Win7 64-bit) on Gingerbread. Also, you aren't forced to apply the Gingerbread update...it will just keep bugging you until you do though.

Journeyman

I also experienced the same problem with my phone not being recognized when connected to the computer, but that was with 2.2. A factory reset got it working again. Not sure if that's what you did when you rolled back to 2.2.

Journeyman

I think it's ironic that we wanted Gingerbread so badly, but now that it's here the Epic message boards across the net are lit up with dissatisfaction.  Before getting Gingerbread, the big and only complaint was that Sprint and Samsung didn't care any longer about the EPIC or EPIC owners.  Would it have been better if Gingerbread was never promised or delivered?   After reading so many unhappy messages, I'm beginning to think that outright denying the Gingerbread update to EPIC would have been the better route.   Also, it could be that the "Open" nature of the Android OS is becoming a big problem.  All the hacking and 3rd party programs may making Android updates prone to a myriad of problems.

Journeyman

Froyo actually worked perfectly for me. Never had any problems connecting my phone and installing drivers. Now I find myself connecting my phone constantly and begging something to happen. I'm so disappoint with Gingerbread. If the phone would let me roll back to Froyo without the Gingerbread update constantly popping up I'd be so at ease right now.

Journeyman

Please tell me your secret coaterphotos. I've tried everything I can think of to just try and get my Epic to connect to my laptop (Window 7 64-bit). Ive uninstalled the previous Samsung drivers and reinstalled them. I've removed programs from my laptop that I thought were interfering and I still get nothing. Then on my desktop (Windows Vista 32-bit), it took for me to have reboot my phone and computer about 50 time before it finally started installing the drivers. The only problem I'm having with the desktop is I have to restart my computer everytime I wanna reconnect my phone. I never had these problems before, but I'd rather have to reboot vs getting nothing. Then I contacted Samsung to try to get their assistance and the representative that was assisting me had the nerve to tell me their drivers don't work on 64-bit O.S. That says alot about their staff because we are both 64-bit users and you're saying yours is working fine and mines was working before the update. I've been with Sprint for 4 years and every phone I've had has been a Samsung but after contacting them and getting false information I'm definately considering switching brands....ughhhhh!

Journeyman

Try a different cable....one from a camera or what ever you have ...or you may need to buy one.Use the XDA web site very smart and helpful people there.Check out the videos by

QBking 77 on youtube....I was having all these problems with GB on my phone and my wifes(both Epics)I am running a great rom (samurai  kernel)   On hers I am running a stock GB update with the

EB 13 modem.....no problems.....Hope this helps...

Journeyman

If your new to all of this ck out this web page and learn....Sprint is not going to help you....they got your money and want

more of it....so either fix it yourself or buy a new phone....I choose to fix it myself....and I knew nothing about them

http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/index.php?title=Samsung_Galaxy_S/SPH-D700

EEDWARDS-TX wrote:

Please tell me your secret coaterphotos. I've tried everything I can think of to just try and get my Epic to connect to my laptop (Window 7 64-bit). Ive uninstalled the previous Samsung drivers and reinstalled them. I've removed programs from my laptop that I thought were interfering and I still get nothing. Then on my desktop (Windows Vista 32-bit), it took for me to have reboot my phone and computer about 50 time before it finally started installing the drivers. The only problem I'm having with the desktop is I have to restart my computer everytime I wanna reconnect my phone. I never had these problems before, but I'd rather have to reboot vs getting nothing. Then I contacted Samsung to try to get their assistance and the representative that was assisting me had the nerve to tell me their drivers don't work on 64-bit O.S. That says alot about their staff because we are both 64-bit users and you're saying yours is working fine and mines was working before the update. I've been with Sprint for 4 years and every phone I've had has been a Samsung but after contacting them and getting false information I'm definately considering switching brands....ughhhhh!

I have no secret...it just still works for me. I had all the drivers installed and working fine when the phone was on Froyo and it still works when on Gingerbread. Like Pagsoo mentioned, try a different cable. The one from Samsung isn't the best quality. Also, if you are plugging into a hub, try plugging directly into a port on the computer. I've had no issues on either Win 7 64 or 32 systems.

Journeyman

I have tried several cables. I even bought a new cable...still nothing!

Journeyman

I will go to the website and see what I can find. I've tried the cable theory and still nothing. If I continue to have problems I am going to start looking for a new cell phone provider. I might have to bring have to bring in the calvary...lol. My mom is a computer tech so if I cant make she happen she's probably the one who can. I think there is a samsung driver hidden somewhere on my laptop cause when I uninstall the one I see in the programs and reinstall it, my laptop says the driver is already installed and do I want to replace it. Before I tear Sprint a new one I'll have her check out and make sure my laptop isn't the problem. Thank ya'll for the help. I am about to go and check out the website. Wish me luck!

Journeyman

I've had this usb connection problem ever since I had to have the headset piece replaced at Sprint, which was a couple months prior to this Gingerbread update. I suppose your usb cord could have stopped working the same exact time as the update, but it doesn't sound like it. Factory reset may be the way to go. Personally, I'm happy to be able to play Youtube videos through the main browser again, but the trade off WASN'T WORTH IT! Many of the keyboard shortcuts I always used (like Menu + A to select all text characters) are different...I'm hoping to find an easier way. I don't like the visual changes or the feel of the way this update has changed Swype, which I also used to use a lot. I could go on and on. I never thought i'd say this, but I want Froyo back!

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat