After 3 weeks of "4g" service with Sprint using a brand new Samsung Epic (hardware v. D700.0.5, Froyo.EC05, FW:2.2.1), I am now experiencing erratic behavior when it comes to how the screen orients itself based on phone position. This phone was shipped to me brand new and came with all the latest updates at that time. The basic Android and Samsung touchwiz user interfaces were running fine until earlier today. I found myself observing that the home screen was no longer adjusting based on phone orientation. I went to home -> menu -> settings and this screen was also not re-orienting itself and both were stuck in portrait mode. I continued into the display section and made sure that "Auto-rotate screen" was still checked (it was) and then picked "Horizontal calibration" and proceeded to calibrate on a verified level surface. I started heading back to the home screen by using the return button and at each screen I checked if the re-orientation function was working again but it was not. I then tried power cycling the phone a few times and each time I tried again, the screens were still stuck in portrait mode. I then tried some apps that use the accelerometer and they were working fine and I also used an app I had installed called "Clinometer" which should test the gyroscope and it was ok. I have been using these apps for a couple of weeks and they have worked just fine. I then tried powering off the phone and pulling the battery out for a minute. When I powered back up and tested, I found that the home screen was still stuck in portrait mode. However, home -> menu -> settings was now re-orienting itself along with the other sub-menus but with a lag (delay) of a few seconds as I tested different phone orientations. Please share your experiences and solutions if any. I am presuming that anyone that joins this thread is on factory stock Android from Sprint with the latest updates as of this posting. If you aren't please share what you are doing differently that fixes this buggy behaviour. Since some software works fine, I am presuming this is a software issue and not hardware, but take a look at your hardware revisions as well. Thanks.
I had the same problem with EB13 2.2.1
It may sound funny but try the calibration with the phone turned upside down, you can use the upper part of a door frame. Or any other method you can think of. It does not have to be absolutely level.
I did this twice over the coarse of a week and my phone has been behaving itself ever since. (about 6 weeks now)
Message was edited by: RSPC