cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Epic - Android 2.2 available beginning 2/21

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Samsung Epic - Android 2.2 available beginning 2/21

I agree, Samsung is to blame for holding us back and there is no excuse to deprive us of something we should be getting.  Anyways, I'm excited about the release, especially Flash 10.1  BTW is there a difference between rooted 2.2 and offcial 2.2?

Journeyman

I agree I think it is Samsung's fault as well.  On my Evo I beleive Sprint got the update out to us just a couple of months after the release.

Journeyman

TWO HUGE QUESTIONS FOR OTA 2.2.1 download

first do you have to have 4g turned off ??? I notice on a lot of downloads they

say its 3g only lolke gameloft for example...or are funtioning 4g customers getting

first dibs because of faster download speed ????

second will our paid apps and games be SAVED along with the data

with updating..aka we do nothing but follow OTA directions to install 2.2.1

thanks

stock epic

Journeyman

i so agree  I think the problem is google and no one else. it is their os  they they give it out with no strings attached and watch as it is overlayed with absolute junk. slowing it down in some cases making it almost useless. the openness  of the system will lead to further  fragment the os. there has to be a balance between the ultra reliable  APPLE model  and the overly open anything goes google system. and MS is not the answer thats for sure what a looser system there. 

Journeyman

another point is when we  pay our $250.00 in my case times three we are buying more than a phone we are buying a very powerfull small computer!!!

this is a five hundred dollar peice of equipmen.

We "customers" expect to be able to upgrade or update to the latest os it is part of everyday life we do it all the time on other devices. sometimes we have to pay for it. If it's windows it probely won't work for the first three to four versions. but hey we pay our money and and get the  latest   anyway.

the carriers and the equipment suppliers  need to mature "grow up"  pushing out updates needs to be second nature.  they can build a huge fan base if they do it right.  and most of the  suppliers are  computer manufatures also.   again the more control will make more (not all !) happy customers.

Journeyman

thanks so much its about time cant wait to see how it works with my epic and finally relive some of its memory use  to the sd card

Journeyman

i agree that I am equally unhappy that sprints update for 2.2 didnt come out as quickly as i had hoped. I mean i work for sprint and i was getting extremely aggravated to be honest, but for peter to say he's not buying samsung products anymore is ridiculous. Seeing that as far as Android goes HTC and Samsung are leaps and bounds ahead of motorola, lg and sanyo. Samsung TV's have the best clarity out of all name brands, so for you to say you wont buy another one you have to be on crack. Since samsung clarity on tvs are so good, they brought it to their phones, samsung has the best screen clarity out there to compete with the iphone 4.. the evo doesnt compare, the droid, x, the droid 2, none of them. The samsing epic is a great device even without 2.2. Froyo is just a boost up even more seeing that for a while if im not mistaken it may still be there im not sure, but the epic was rated #1 android phone on cnet and pcworld.

Journeyman

Super jacked about the update!  This will make a great phone even better!  Bout time Samsung

Journeyman

Few Questions:

Will this "reformat" our phone (ie, will it reboot after installing and all my apps and desktops will be the same as it was before or will it be like a new phone right from the store [ie formatted]?

What file system is it: EXT or RFS?

Is there  a place to manually download the update and update as opposed to OTA?

Journeyman

That's funny, but it's sooooo true!

Journeyman

Is this a good date (2/21/2011) and where did this info come from. When I talk to Sprint or Samsung about the upgrade for the Epic 4G/Galaxy S no one knows when the upgrade will be available (hard to believe).

Journeyman

Ummmm, it's been posted on Sprint's facebook, Samsung's facebook, and tweets from both. In addition, there has been talks on all the tech sites.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat