Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Samsung Epic - Android 2.2 available beginning 2/21

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Wanderlust wrote:

I love the clueless people who post about Sprint with regards to the release schedule of 2.2 for the Epic. Go get the Fascinate on Verizon, the Vibrant on T-Mobile or AT&T's Captivate. Oh wait, that's right NONE of Samsung's Galaxy S phones have 2.2.  

If you're unhappy about service from Sprint, fine but if it's about 2.2, get a clue before blathering on about Sprint not delivering on updates and go tell Samsung.

Thanks for the announcement, Sprint!

As for the future of Android and I, it's on shaky ground... At least Microsoft is managing their patch process so 'things' like this doesn't happen.

I believe Rogers has pushed an update, the unlocked international version has gotten one, and one has been announced for ATTM, so it isn't true that none of the Galaxy S variants have 2.2.

This said, I agree that by all appearances it appears that Samsung is more to blame for the late date of this upgrade than Sprint given how long it has taken to show up in any of the North American variants, and by the fact that Samsung has already released the Nexus S with an unskinned version of 2.3, and it's essentially identical hardware to the GSM Galaxy S variants.

But I don't think Samsung is *100%* to blame. The OEMs all want to differentiate/generate additional revenue for themselves by doing custom skins and integrated features like the Media Hub,  and this is a big part of the problem; but the operators all want custom things in the kernel too, and these cost time and development effort as well.

If everyone just went with the 'Nexus' model and shipped devices with stock kernels and carrier-specific baseband firmware, much of the work required to update the kernel and skins would go away, and updates would come much more easily, and presumably more quickly.

As to Android being on shaky ground, I don't agree. Even with such problems as these, the platform continues to have remarkable success in the marketplace. The developers and OEMs have gotten caught flatfooted, but I truly believe that the negative customer response, engendered in part by the fact that everyone now knows (mainly because of Apple) that it is possible to do much better, has chastened them somewhat, and they will improve gradually going forward. Their desire to differentiate and run their own little side walled gardens is always going to be an issue, but I think they are seeing that consumer desire for postmarket support for upgrades is a new reality that they are going to have to take into account. I certainly know that I will be much less likely to buy a Samsung device at my next replacement unless it steps up its support game, and I think a lot of people feel this way.

As to holding up MS as a model, I'm not so sure I'd do that. I've heard that the update that MS promised for January which now seems to be coming sometime next month has actually been done and ready to push for a couple months already but because certain carriers have resisted and MS wanted to push it out simultaneously across all devices and operators, they've been forced to hold up. If this is true then some of the same factors that have probably caused some of the delay in Android updates are at play in the WindowPhone ecosystem as well. Then, too, the Mango update now looks likely to slip from its tentative date of October, and probably won't actually ship until closer to the end of the year if not until 2012. WinPhone7 is already far behind Android and iOS in terms of features and capabilities, and given the fact that Google has stated its intention to ship major upgrades at it current rate of about once every 6 months or so, if it takes MS a year to push every major upgrade they will continue to fall further and further behind and the platform will never take off.

And we haven't even seen what the RIM and HP devices are going to be like yet.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The Kies update was listed on their site (and ensued with several weeks of issues that Samsung was working out) but the official over the air Vibrant release is next week, along with the others. AT&T's was for several hours yesterday... I don't call 4 days being leaps and bounds ahead.

Highlighted
Journeyman

hawkfansixty wrote:

Great news, thanks.

What will happen to those of use who updated to the December 4th DK28 Froyo build that was hosted on Google's servers?

Thanks

You will lose your warranty because you flashed your phone with an unauthorized version.

Ok I doubt that would happen, but they could void your warrenty over it.

Now since you're on DK28, I'd suggest you either take your phone back to stock and wait for the OTA or wait for the developement community to comeout with a ROM based on Sprint's release.  It's up to you.

Highlighted
Journeyman

huntml wrote:

...If everyone just went with the 'Nexus' model and shipped devices with stock kernels and carrier-specific baseband firmware, much of the work required to update the kernel and skins would go away, and updates would come much more easily, and presumably more quickly.

As to Android being on shaky ground, I don't agree. Even with such problems as these, the platform continues to have remarkable success in the marketplace. The developers and OEMs have gotten caught flatfooted, but I truly believe that the negative customer response, engendered in part by the fact that everyone now knows (mainly because of Apple) that it is possible to do much better, has chastened them somewhat, and they will improve gradually going forward. Their desire to differentiate and run their own little side walled gardens is always going to be an issue, but I think they are seeing that consumer desire for postmarket support for upgrades is a new reality that they are going to have to take into account. I certainly know that I will be much less likely to buy a Samsung device at my next replacement unless it steps up its support game, and I think a lot of people feel this way.

As to holding up MS as a model, I'm not so sure I'd do that. I've heard that the update that MS promised for January which now seems to be coming sometime next month has actually been done and ready to push for a couple months already but because certain carriers have resisted and MS wanted to push it out simultaneously across all devices and operators, they've been forced to hold up. If this is true then some of the same factors that have probably caused some of the delay in Android updates are at play in the WindowPhone ecosystem as well. Then, too, the Mango update now looks likely to slip from its tentative date of October, and probably won't actually ship until closer to the end of the year if not until 2012. WinPhone7 is already far behind Android and iOS in terms of features and capabilities, and given the fact that Google has stated its intention to ship major upgrades at it current rate of about once every 6 months or so, if it takes MS a year to push every major upgrade they will continue to fall further and further behind and the platform will never take off.

And we haven't even seen what the RIM and HP devices are going to be like yet.

I kind of encapsulated the comments I'm addressing. I agree on shipping the stock kernels and specifically what my comment was regarding MS.  I'm not saying they're superior, just simply that they release a patch across their platform.  If "ice cream" or whatever "I" dessert they're going to call the combined Gingerbread/Honeycomb is delayed, I'm fine as long as it's not gaping issues. 2.2 just has rather big issues documented and undocumented that it fixes, so it's been poor that it has taken this long.

As for the shaky ground, it's no where near shaky ground and gaining momentum every day, my emphasis was being placed on the "I" in that comment and for the same reason as you mentioned with seeing what HP tries to do and how Windows progresses.

Highlighted
Journeyman

It is about time to boycott samsung products. Froyo 2.2 , where is 2.3? I will not buy any Samsung phone or TV again.

Highlighted
Patron

This will be my first experience with an OTA update. What determines the OTA queue order or is it just random? Also is there any way to force or request the update sooner? Also, I've read there is a Sprint support page for this update. What is the link? Thanks

Highlighted
Journeyman

I believe it'll be pushed to our phones with DK28 even though Sprint already knows our phones have it, i'd say go ahead and install it anyways so you have the right one, me personally i got the gps bug i havent bothered fixing yet so that's why i am gonna go ahead & update mine. XDA willl be doing some good stuff in the coming months. Gonna be like a brand new phone with the overall increased OS speeds as well. It shouldn't effect anything you've got on your phone like apps, photos,etc. Good luck!

Highlighted
Wizard

Excellent!  It took long enough to get this update finished, and I think it's long overdue, but at least it's finally ready to be released.  Now you can start working on Gingerbread, right? 

This will be my first OTA update, too, so I hope it all goes smoothly.  They said more information would be available Monday, so hopefully that will help clear things up for those of us who are unfamiliar with the update process, its duration, etc.  As for the rollout order, the only thing I can recall seeing is something like it depends on your status on the Google servers.  I have no idea of what that means, or how to find out what your status is, but perhaps someone else can help here.  The support page I've seen mentioned in news articles around the web is down, apparently quickly pulled after it was seen.  The content is probably still available in some Android news articles or forums, but hopefully by Monday all the official information we'll need will be posted here.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yes YEs Yes Yes its about Time. I really dont care to much for gingerbread. I watched a lot of google videos on it and wasnt to impressed. I guess what I mean to say is that not to much different than froyo.  I cant wait to install apps on my memory card. I hope the battery lasts longer too. Another thing. I never had a problem with my GPS. Can anyone answer this. Do you have to re install your applications after update and if so what about ones you paid for?  Thanks but I am happy and I hope somehow this will fix the audio problems this device has. Like for instance when I first got my epic before the first update you where able to record with an external mic you could plug in but after that update that option dissapeared but if not im not complaining. I will be happy freeing up my built in memory for faster performance.   make sure to check out some tattoos I have done http://tattoosavior.webs.com who knows anyone from Pittsburgh reading this might be interested. LOL

Highlighted
Journeyman

Samsung releases open source for epic

http://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-releases-source-epic-4g-eb13-froyo-update

looking forward to bluetooth calls and finally can open up flash websites.

Now if they could only get 4g in Phoenix.. lol but i guess thats asking for too much.

Highlighted
Journeyman

On my Epic, like so many others, I jumped to flash to DK28 back in early December.  I did flash back to DI18, but during the short time I had Froyo DK28, I messed with the accelerometer controls that were new to 2.2, and somehow left the hardware unable to automatically switch to/from portrait/landscape after flashing back to Eclair DI18.  I'm just hoping this will resolve itself after the OTA update to 2.2...and that I'm not stuck with a crippled accelerometer.  And, of course, GPS better improve, too.  Right now, it sometimes takes 15-20 minutes in the clear outdoors before my GPS will lock on any satellites (despite showing that it "sees" 8-9 satellites).

Is there going to be any specific instructions like "when you run the OTA update, make sure your GPS is on or off", or "make sure you have automatic orientation switching on" at the time you install the update.  Any ideas?

Thanks!

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat