cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Epic - Android 2.2 available beginning 2/21

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Samsung Epic - Android 2.2 available beginning 2/21

This has been more than a disaster with all the false promises and inability to deliver.

Google needs to take the reigns on this and deliver updates directly while phone manufacturers should focus on the hardware. The carrier should focus on customer support and building out the network and infrastructure.This would help bring all the devices closer to being on the same version of Android.

This is one area where Apple, while they are control freaks, have really shined because there isn't the issue of devices being spread out over several different versions of the OS ("Fragmentation"). This benefits developers since it's much easier to build for a consistent version.

The insult to injury here is I know that the Epic will never see 2.3. No chance of tasting the PS Suite. What a joke to spend this kind of money and get only one major upgrade. I would pay for the upgrade if it came directly from Google and Sprint/Samsung didn't have to spend time adding in there sub par applications that I never use.If they want to create apps then release them through Android Market like all other developers. It's my phone I paid for it so let me choose which applications I want to install and use.

I'm currently a shareholder of S but not anymore. You can't get away with flat out lying to customers. People will leave and seek better service.

If this is read by anyone at Sprint thank you for reading and I really hope you consider what I've said.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Androidcentral says you'll have to be at DI18 for the OTA.  To revert back to DI18 from DK28, you'll need to use Odin.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have but one concern with the upgrade, as thrilled as I am to finally have it. Will this upgrade preserve the information and programs already installed in the phone or will everything be wiped to a "factory reset"?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Most likely everything will be wiped clean. If u are worried about losing apps or info, the market has a bunch of backup apps. The back up apps can back up everything from contacts to apps to even text messages

Highlighted
Master

Over the Air upgrades will preserve your apps and data, it simply updates what is already there and coverts what needs to be converted. A OTW (over the wire) update will wipe the device as it replaces the entire filesystem on the device. If your phone is telling you there is an update available, it will be OTA.

Highlighted
Journeyman

SIMPLE1571 "This is one area where Apple, while they are control freaks, have really shined because there isn't the issue of devices being spread out over several different versions of the OS ("Fragmentation"). This benefits developers since it's much easier to build for a consistent version." Really??   Take a look at the Android version history  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_version_history  Now compare that to IOS version history http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_version_history  Just say-in.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hello its not Samsung.  All the Galaxy S phones in Europe, Asia, and Canada got 2.2 months ago.

Blame the carriers in America.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I agree with you.  Not only should Google put out conditions to cell phone makers, but to carriers as well.  Pressure and fine the phone maker or carrier for not upgrading Android operating systems in a timely manner.  If a carrier like Sprint has a pattern of not upgrading their phones, then Google should pressure the cell phone makers to not make Android phones to that carrier.  Can you imagine if Sprint got BLACKLISTED from Android phones?  That would be hilarious and impact their sales.  Give out a deadline of 60-90 days after an official release of the latest Android OS version.  6+ month is a joke.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hello Sprint Admin,

I purchased my Epic 4G in September 2010 and am very satisfied with the device overall. I too have patiently waited for this update and wanted to thank you for making an OFFICIAL announcement to your customers.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Really...you do realize Samsuung is realeasing the update, right? This isn't Sprint's release. Granted they wanted to make sure that it was going to go through without problems (which has happened before). Don't blame someone unless you know what you are completely talking about please. I completely understand there is a louder voice when it comes to the whiners and complainers, but  Sprint is doing an awesome job when having to deal with the crybabies that nothing is never good enough for. please, if you don't have an honestly good comment or something truly constructive, just stay off please.Thank you Sprint for doing what you have.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I wonder if this update will finally do the micro-USB to HDMI output that has been rumored for months.

http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones-accessories/ECC1HSABBEBSTD-reviews

And allow RCA out on the D700 dock.

Highlighted
Journeyman

its not about the manpower or "cost" to update, its the fact that samsung never intended to release 2.2 to several of the galaxy s phones. They had a post on there site in November 2010 stating that and that is just a marketing ploy.  Fact is they only seriously started working on the update in November and thats why its taken them so long to update the phone properly.  Iphone, Google Phones, HTC and a few others understand that their customers want a most up to date OS pushing their devices, Samsung needs to get with the program and do the same thing.  6month wait for an OS update that was released before the phone was is stupid and bad business.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat