cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Epic - Android 2.2 available beginning 2/21

Wizard

Samsung Epic - Android 2.2 available beginning 2/21

Below is a statement that will be released today regarding the Android 2.2 upgrade for the Epic.  Watch for additional information to be posted on Monday!

Android 2.2/Froyo will be pushed to Sprint Samsung Epic 4G customers beginning Feb. 21.  All users should have access to Android 2.2 by Feb. 25.

New Samsung Epic 4G MR EB13 will upgrade the Epic 4G to Android 2.2/Froyo, many updates including Flash Player 10.1, Bluetooth dialing, allows app installs to external storage

This software update (version EB13) will include:

• Upgrade of the Google OS from Éclair to Froyo (2.2.1)
  • Ability to install applications to external storage
  • Improved Bluetooth device support
  • Bluetooth Voice Dialing
  • Flash Player 10.1
  • GPS Enhancements
  • Improved OS performance

UPDATE PROCESS: The software update will be delivered as a wireless download (over-the-air, or OTA) in waves starting on February 21. All Samsung Epic 4G owners should have access to the download by the end of the week (Feb. 25).

Once your Epic is in the queue and eligible to download the update, a message will be pushed to your device saying that a software update is available. If you are not yet in the queue and you attempt to check for a software update manually, you will receive a message saying “no upgrade is available”.  This simply means your device isn’t in the current wave of updates. 

All customers should have access to the update by the end of the week (Feb. 25).

Message was edited by: wengla02

129 REPLIES
Journeyman

Re: Samsung Epic - Android 2.2 available beginning 2/21

Alright, It is about time. Now people can start to complain about not getting 2.3 or gingerbread. LOL

Journeyman

They already are complaining about not having Gingerbread. They have been for months. Problem is they don't know how much work goes into actually pushing out a release and the manpower it takes to support it when people have questions.

Journeyman

Thanks for the official confirmation.  I look forward to taking my epic to the next level.  It is truly an amazing phone and it will just be a bit better once the update is onboard.  I will finally be able to move some of my large medical apps to the SD card and sort my contacts by last name.

--Keith

Journeyman

How about a list of all fixes/enhancements in the update?  Thanks!

Journeyman

Awesome! Thank you!!!!

Journeyman

This Is what I heard so far..from different sources On the web.  Enhancements: The following changes will occur when updating from Éclair to Froyo. 1. Upgrade of the Google OS from Éclair to Froyo (2.2.1) 2. Ability to install applications to external storage 3. Improved Bluetooth device support 4. Bluetooth Voice Dialing 5. Flash Player 10.1 6. GPS Enhancements 7. Improved OS performance..  The source code has also been released.

I see the OP just updated to include the same info.

Message was edited by: RSPC

Journeyman

Great news, thanks.

What will happen to those of use who updated to the December 4th DK28 Froyo build that was hosted on Google's servers?

Thanks

Journeyman

LOL  they will start complaining 6 months after every Android phone has gets Gingerbread.

Thank you Sprint!  You just increased the value of the Samsung Epic.  Now I will sell it on Ebay and go to another carrier.

Journeyman

No, the problem isn't that people don't realize the amount of effort involved -- the problem is Sprint LIED to us in the stores to get us to buy the damn phones!  I would NOT have bought the Epic if I hadn't made the idiotic mistake of trusting Sprint's statement that Froyo would be on the phone in October at the latest.

The other parts of the problem are:

1. People like you, who think it's acceptible for some phones to get OS updates 8 months after they were released.

and

2. Carriers and OEMs who have no incentive to keep their phones up to date after they're sold.

Someday this is going to be the end of Android if it doesn't get fixed.  If an OEM can't get the latest version of the OS to its handsets within at most two months, then they should no longer be able to sell them without removing the Android name.

Imagine what's going to happen the first time a big Android botnet turns malicious -- do you really think Samsung and Sprint will be able to prepare and push out security updates in a timely manner?  Some day people are going to be taking hammers to their Android handsets out of frustration if this keeps up.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.