cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Epic Internal Memory an Issue?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Samsung Epic Internal Memory an Issue?

I was really excited to hear about the Epic 4G release and it seems like most of the reviews have been very positive.  However, one item I am concerned about is the internal memory that comes with the phone.  Apparently the Epic only has 500MB of internal storage vs. the other Samsung Galaxy S phones that come with 16GB.  I know that Sprint provides a 16GB SD card to offset the 500 MB memory that Samsung provides.  However, I am not clear what, if any, impact there is when utilizing the memory card for storage vs. the phone memory.  Likewise, I didn't think that the Android applications could be downloaded and run from a memory card.  If this is true then it would seem that the phone doesn't provide much storage for external applications you may want to download and run.  Would love to hear feedback on this point -- either from other users or Sprint.  Thanks!

Message was edited by: quinn280

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Master

The Android 2.2 software update (currently set for release in September, the phone has Android 2.1 currently) brings the capability to install applications to the SD card.

All that being said, I have a ton of Apps installed on my Hero and still have 40MB of space left, I'm actually removing apps I don't use anymore. Applications take up very little space in most cases. Maybe a few MBs, the largest I've seen was 8MB and that was a full 3D capable game. Even installing only apps that are 10MB you still are looking at 50 apps with 500MB of storage.

Highlighted
Wizard

quinn280 wrote:

I was really excited to hear about the Epic 4G release and it seems like most of the reviews have been very positive.  However, one item I am concerned about is the internal memory that comes with the phone.  Apparently the Epic only has 500MB of internal storage vs. the other Samsung Galaxy S phones that come with 16GB.  I know that Sprint provides a 16GB SD card to offset the 500 MB memory that Samsung provides.  However, I am not clear what, if any, impact there is when utilizing the memory card for storage vs. the phone memory.  Likewise, I didn't think that the Android applications could be downloaded and run from a memory card.  If this is true then it would seem that the phone doesn't provide much storage for external applications you may want to download and run.  Would love to hear feedback on this point -- either from other users or Sprint.  Thanks!

Message was edited by: quinn280

The 16GB reference you have seen is to the SD card supplied with the Galaxy S models.  I do not believe that any of the models have 16GB of internal memory.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks for the info about the 2.2 release allowing apps to be installed and run from the memory card.  That should address the concerns I had about possibly running out of internal memory.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am pretty sure about the other models having 16GB of internal memory.  Some of the reviews of the Sprint model referenced that only the Epic came with the 16GB memory card (the others had 2GB) but that was most likely due to the other Galaxy models coming with 16GB internal memory (without a memory card)

Highlighted
Journeyman

you are correct quinn all the other samsung varents of the epic have 16 gb of internal memory but not all of that is used for apps, I belive only  a few gig's of that 16 is used for apps and the rest is for music, etc....! also the space you have for apps is less then 500mb on the epic 4g its more like 280-300 mbs. I have come from the first android phone the g1 and let me tell you it sucks to have small internal memory it seems that sprint got the better phone except for the small internal memory is the one downside. 2.2 will for sure help but honestly in this day and age mb is crap IMO.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I agree.  The small internal memory, even with the additional SD card, does seem to be disadvantage of the Epic compared to the other Galaxy S phones on T-mobile and AT&T.  It is surprising that a spec like this wouldn't be consistent across the Board on the Samsung model, particularly for a phone like this that is cutting edge on so many other options.

The release of 2.2 will probably address this for the most part by being able to put apps on the SD card but it still isn't as convenient as having this as "onboard memory" vs having to rely on an SD card.  I am assumin the ability to run the apps from the memory card should not present any delay or lag time but that remains to be determined.

Highlighted
Journeyman

You are right. The GSM variant does come with 16GB internal memory. For a direct comparison of the Galxy S lineup in the US, click on the link below:

http://www.billshrink.com/blog/9912/samsung-epic-4g-vs-fascinate-vibrant-captivate-total-cost-of-own...

That said, once Android 2.2 is out (along with the ability to run apps off the SD Card), this issue should go away.

Note: I am a Sprint Employee & a Samsung Epic 4G Product Ambassador

Highlighted
Journeyman

The EVO is the same way. I thought it would be an issue but it's not. I only ran out of internal memory one time when I first got the phone. I was downloading a bunch of worthless apps and didn't realize they all saved to internal memory. I got rid of the junk and just save apps I used all the time. When you think about it, there is no reason to keep so many apps on your phone. If you want to use an app you can literally go to the app store download the app and be using it in under a minute. Apps I don't use all the time I delete and download them again later if I need them.

That being said the upgrade to Froyo solves the problem if you want to keep all that garbage on your phone. Most apps can be transferred to SD in app management. Cloud storage is also going to eliminate the need for storing things internally. You can put all your music, pictures and videos in an online storage account and view them from your phone. This is the direction media storage is going so it won't be too much longer until SD card size is irrelevant.

Highlighted
Journeyman

To each their own, I personally think that mb in a phone is very unfortanite, new phones comeing out should not have less then 8gb of internal memory minumium. I guess I'm different then everyone else but I like to have alot of games and apps on my phone like I do on my ipod touch so yes the 2.2 update will help put my apps on sd card. However i'm sure it will take longer to load and slow its overal performance. It did on my windows os phones anyways. Also you will burn your mb on your phones real fast by browser cache and other apps that cache on to the internal memeory so you will constantly have to mintor that and clear it; and once you start running low on internal memory the phone performance bugs down as well. Trust me folks I would know I have had tons of phone in the years palm pre, windows phones, android phones I know what im talking about thats the only thing thats holding me back from this phone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The G1 had 70 MB of usable internal memory.  I found this limiting.  But when I thought about it, I realized that while I might conceivably want twice as many apps on my phone as I had, it was unlikely.  It was even more unlikely that I'd need three times as many.  I couldn't imagine needing four times as many, and that would only be about half of the available memory.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Wow thank you for posting about the crappy internal storage the Epic has. Was going to purchase that next year for I have the Hero and the phone storage sucks. I have very little apps on there and I get alot Low on storage.  Now Android advertises all these cool  apps but when I want one I am always removing a app wether I use it or not alot.  I do have the recent update for the OS for my Hero. And have noway of saving it the memory card, which is sad. I dont see how sprint employee is saying he or she has lots of apps when you can only put so many on the Hero. Sprint needs to get phones with good Internal Storage. I have a iphone for work which ony is 8gbs but yet I have many apps on there. And never once got low on storage. I can see why people go to the Iphone. I am trying to research on phone storage so I get a phone that has a decent storage size.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat