cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Epic Shuts Off

Journeyman

Samsung Epic Shuts Off

Hi is 0.5 the latest hardware version? I just got the epic 12 days ago, but it froze (as opposed to shutting off) randomly, while sitting in a bag at a restaurant. I couldn't get the screen to go dark, to unlock...anything. Couldn't reboot it either but it's possible i was holding volume down instead of volume up. Friend tried calling me and didn't register, text message sent during that time never received (this happened 2 days ago). I could see the warning symbol about 3G roaming was on at the top of the homescreen, but that shouldn't lock up the phone. I'm traveling until saturday which is the day my restocking option is up, and trying to decide whether to exchange for the iPhone (I really didn't want to give up having a keyboard, but I'm also unhappy about the GPS/Gingerbread issue-- any idea if there will be an update to fix that?). If I don't have the latest hardware, maybe getting that will prevent that from happening again. Thanks!!

Journeyman

Samsung Epic Shuts Off

I'm starting to get the impression it's a total crap shoot when it comes to cell phones.  Even though I have been able to prevent random shutdown by using juice defender, I have seen it lock up a few times since the new version came out (causes me to yank the battery).  Though I chalked that up to the rooted version I'm using.  If you can swap out for iPhone I'd say do it while you can.  I've owned an iPhone in the past, and really the only thing that irks me is that you are so locked into using iTunes for everything.  At least with android I can upload new music off anyone's PC without it erasing all previously installed music. 

There are socio-political reasons for avoiding iPhones, but in truth, those reasons most likely extend to other smartphones too.  By this, I mean metals like tin and tungstun are mined in the Congo where people are forced to mine it under the threat of violence and death, and women are victims of horrific rapes.  You probably didn't want to know that.  But all good things have a dark side.

Anywhew, to be completely honest I've had my fill of Sprint, and this shotty phone.  They sold me a phone that has defects in it that a bunch of people report experiencing and then downplay the comments as if you can't believe what you read on the internet while denying that any such hardware issue exists.  When my contract expires, I'm going to switch to Virgin Mobile.  I might have to buy a phone outright, but there is no contract and it's $35 a month which is half of what I currently pay.  Virgin Mobile uses the same towers as sprint, so it's not like my quality of service is going to be worse. 

But to be completely fair, the more complex the hardware and software become, the more likely it is to glitch.  It's a trade off, fancy phone = more unpredicabillity.  In that respect, the iPhone can be better, because apps have to be tested to work on the hardware before it is available for sale.  Whereas, Android apps can never be pre-tested on all Android platforms.

Journeyman

Samsung Epic Shuts Off

Thanks for the input, but before I totally give up on the Epic, can anyone tell me what the latest hardware version is? I can't seem to find this info via Google. I think my phone is 2010 and I'm wondering if there's 2011 hardware that is more reliable. I also read in a different (older) thread that uninstalling Lookout solved the locking up problem for someone, but I never installed a program by that name, is this something that came with the phone? I installed Juice Defender yesterday but haven't enabled it yet...

Journeyman

Samsung Epic Shuts Off

My phone freezes to an unusable point at LEAST 5 times daily.  In addition, it will shut off when plugged into a power source sometimes.  This has only happened since the gingerbread update.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Samsung Epic Shuts Off

Im having the same problem my last phone would shut off then i cracked the screen, I got a new phone two days later its doing the samething as my old phone wth then it get very hot when the gps on i getting pissed off pay all this money a mo $100.

Journeyman

Samsung Epic Shuts Off

I'm having the same issues - turning on/off randomly, freezing up, and running sluggishly.  It seemed to start with the last software update.  I don't have a lot of apps, but I did a purge and deleted any that i dont often use.  Tho, I don't think I should have to resort to this, but anything to be able to use my phone properly again.  I, too, used to love my Epic but now it's turning more and more into a brick for me.

Journeyman

Samsung Epic Shuts Off

This phone costs me $100 a month and all it ever does is restart itself. It does it in the middle of texts, calls, internet serches, EVERY THING. There was one night the phone kept me up all night shutting down and restarting. I can't even connect to wifi without it shutting down. Not only that but the phone deleted all of my installed applications. I can't connect to the market to redownload them. I shouldn't have to pay for services I can't even use.

Sprint Employee

Samsung Epic Shuts Off

What happens when you try to sign into Android market? since you have lost data already had you considered wiping the phone yourself? before losing data did you have pattern/code lock enabled? which applications had you downloaded? Had you taken the phone into a store for them to pull your debug log so the root cause of the problem could be determined?

No longer working Community Response.
Journeyman

Samsung Epic Shuts Off

That sounds way worse than anything I've dealt with.  If it's under warrantly, I'd demand that they fix it.  If it's not and you didn't buy their equipment protection, I'm afraid they won't help you without you paying.  I should know, I actually got one of their high level reps to call me, and he wouldn't budge on that.  If it's out of warranty, and you didn't pay for their insurance, you have to pay to fix the phone.  Although, if yours has been that bad since day one, why didn't you take it back straight away?

Journeyman

Samsung Epic Shuts Off

My Samsung Epic also randomly shuts off.  I do not that it has ever switched to airplane mode.  It also will not ring on incoming calls quite frequently.  Now my Microsoft Outlook will not sync...suddenly.  I went to the Sprint store, they did a hard reset...it did not fix the Outlook problem.  They gave me a tech support number, which when I call says I have to pay 9.99/month for 20 monthly questions??!! 

Journeyman

Samsung Epic Shuts Off

@deesheetssmith If you are still using the factory sync cable, I would try replacing that first with a non Samsung cable.  Walmart has a "data enabled" cable for about 10 dollars. I was shutting down all the time as well.  Using cyanogenmod fixed that but I understand this is not a solution for everybody.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat