cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Epic Shuts Off

Journeyman

Samsung Epic Shuts Off

Is anyone else having problems with their Epic shutting off by itself?  My phone does this and my fiance's keeps going into airplane mode by itself.

Tags (2)
58 REPLIES 58
Wizard

Samsung Epic Shuts Off

thehozz,

I do apologize for this issue. I personally haven't heard of either of these issues with the Samsung Epic 4G. I double checked our documented known issues and couldn't find these issues. What troubleshooting have you already tried? I assume the standard, taking the battery out and putting it back in?

You may want to bring the devices to an authorized Service and Repair Center. To locate a repair center, please visit www.sprint.com/storelocator?ECID=SM:SC:20110823:StoreLocator.

Regards,

William

SprintCares Social Media Team

Journeyman

Samsung Epic Shuts Off

Mine does this about once per day.  Any time it's less than about 50% battery, and I'm on the phone, there is a decent change this will happen.  It will drop the call, and display a window that says something like "Battery is Critically Low".  There will be two option buttons below (maybe "continue" and "cancel" or something like that?).  The buttons however, don't respond, and the phone is already in the process of shutting itself off.  After waiting for it to shut down, and then waiting for it to start-up again, you'll find you had plenty of battery (often 30-40% or more).  It's wildly aggrivating.

Journeyman

Samsung Epic Shuts Off

I have called sprint and they said it is a known issue, I do not have insurance and it is passed the thirty days...They offered to sell me a new phone at retail price of course....I also called samsung, they also know it is an issue, will not issue a recall (big surprise there).  They did offer to fix it free of charge but my cell phone is my business phone and I can not be with out it.  Samsung would not give me a loner and neither would sprint unless I paid out of pocket.  I paid good money for the phone when it came out and again I can not be without it.

If you google the issue a lot of forums come up.  So I'm up the creek without a paddle, and stuck with a phone that shuts off all the time.  When it does shut it self off the battery life is 80% of better and I'm not doing anything.  I picked it up to check it and it was off, turned it back on, picked it up an hour later and it was off again so now it's constantly plugged in when it can be so I don't miss anything important.  So much for being a cell phone.  I've pulled the battery, done a hard reset, etc and nothing has fixed the issue.

Wizard

Samsung Epic Shuts Off

thehozz,

Thanks for the reply. I will be sending you a private message.

-William

Journeyman

Samsung Epic Shuts Off

Hello

Iam having the same problem with this phone and Iam getting no where with sprint. I have been a customer for many years and paid alot of money for this telephone and I can't believe that the company will not help out in any way and now reading your post makes me really upset knowing that they are aware of the problem but not willing to step up.

Journeyman

Samsung Epic Shuts Off

I have been a loyal customer for 6 years and I used to sell sprint phones.  It is a very frustrating when you have an issue, they are aware of it and they give you the run around.  It make me want to take my business elsewhere.  I am glad to see I am not the only one with this issue.

My fiance is having similar issues with his samsung epic as well.

Journeyman

Samsung Epic Shuts Off

TheHozz-

I don't know if you're getting the battery message that I'm getting, but as I search on the different forums (I'm so glad my phone requires constant research on my part to keep running... Ugh!) I've found that the battery calibration could be the issue.  There is an app on the market that supposedly helps, and I may try it.  Most people who are using it have rooted phones (my phone is not and never has been rooted) but I hope it will work.

William-

If you're willing to look into this and help me out, please shoot me a PM, or even better, email ((swhiteh3))at(gmail)dot(com).

Scott

Journeyman

Samsung Epic Shuts Off

Hi Swhiteh33,

I do not get any kind of error.  Its on and then its off, I turn it back on and go to check it and its off again.  It happens like 5-7 times a day when it is unplugged.  I have reached the point where I just keep it plugged in all the time so I don't miss anything, thats the only thing that is "fixing" (if you can even call it a fix) right now.  It's my business line so I can't afford for it to keep shutting itself off.

Journeyman

Samsung Epic Shuts Off

Hi William,

Correction - it just itself off while it was plugged in, so now that isnt even working.

Journeyman

Re: Samsung Epic Shuts Off

So as it turns out Sprint has let me down AGAIN!  William offered for me to bring it into a Sprint repair store and PAY to have them repair it.  No surprise there.  Why should we have to pay to fix a phone that was defective out of the box?  Sprint should pony up, issue a recall and give us all WORKING versions of our phones.  THey should be dealing with Samsung about how to fix it at no inconvienience to us.

Way to go Sprint....NOT!

Journeyman

Samsung Epic Shuts Off

I am having the exact same problem. It is super frustrating. I have never been so mad at a "stupidphone". I just want to throw it. Please tell me there is something i can do about this and in a hurry. I have seriously considered changing back to an old school flip phone or changing service providers. I have been with Sprint for too long to just up and leave over this stupid phone. There is no reason why it should shut off at random when there is plenty of battery life left. I get so mad when I am in the middle of an important phone call and the phone just turns off. Anyway please just fix it ASAP.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat