cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Epic Shuts Off

Journeyman

Samsung Epic Shuts Off

I too am having this issue.  For me it was with the Over-the-air version of FroYo that came out.  The firmware version forced the battery to overheat.  I had this issue kill my phone in July as I was talking on bluetooth and the phone was hot to the touch.  I took it to a Sprint repair store and they had to wipe the phone and install a pure 2.2 version.  I'm looking forward to having a similar problem once 2.3 comes out.

Journeyman

Samsung Epic Shuts Off

I have been having that exact same issue for about a week now! I took it to the service repair store and they guy was acting really shady and did not want to replace my phone. He swapped out the battery and the battery he gave me appears to be water damaged. i went back to the store and they hard reset my phone 2 times! even though I told him I already tried that. Then he swapped out my phone but its still doing the same thing so either its the phone or he did not swapp it out he just replaced parts. I am so frustrated with sprint right now I dont know what to do! They keep giving me the run around.

Journeyman

Samsung Epic Shuts Off

I am having somewhat of a similar problem with my phone shutting off.

If I put the phone down too hard, the phone turns itself off. It almost seems like something might be shorting out. I haven't yet taken it in for service, but I am assuming that fixing his issue would mean that a new phone is required.

Journeyman

Samsung Epic Shuts Off

Ya I had that issue too as well as it simply stop holding a charge. I work for a corporate office and alot of my coworkers were having the same types of issues, one way or another, with this phone. I am going to warn you though if you take your phone into a repair shop be sure it is the corporate sprint repair shop. I made the mistake of going to one of the 3rd party repair shops because it was closer to my house and it was a nightmare. It was also a nightmare calling in to complain to the customer service center because all they will tell you to do is go to the repair store. Anyways, I ended up getting an evo because the epics were on back order and honestly Im not that upset about it anymore. My evo lasts me all day on like half a battery! I would recommend that if you do end up getting the epic again to buy an extended batter on like amazon, thats what I did for my boyfriend and now his battery lasts all day but it just makes his phone look even larger than before.

Journeyman

Samsung Epic Shuts Off

Believe it or not there is a law firm (shulaw . com) in Boston that has filed a class action regarding this defect being seen in all Galaxy S phones.  My Samsung Epic does the same thing.  And like many other people's complaints, mine often has 50% or less on the battery when it randomly shuts down.  I have had it turn off right in the middle of 2 different phone calls, none of which we're more than 2 minutes long when it shut down.  And then when I go to plug it in (powered off), the charge icon shows it has quite a bit left on it. 

My wife has a samsung moment what sometimes get's locked up for hours.  I used to think Samsung knew what they were doing, but I'm doubting I'll ever buy a Samsung product ever again.

People at the Sprint stores don't have solutions (to their credit, they aren't anymore worthless than the people in any other cellular store, so that's a plus).  They'll wipe your phone, which is a huge pain because you have to download all your apps again, and restore your contact lists.  You might get it to work okay for a while, but inevitably it will start acting up again.  I don't think I'll keep sprint after my contract.  Frankly I'm seriously considering downgrading to a phone with zero perks.  I blew $300 for this phone, and this is how it works?  Of course they'll try any blame the user becuase you can't replicate the flaw on command, but with this many people talking about it, and an ongoing class action against Samsung, I'm thinking it's the product, not the user.

I suppose my most pressing concern is that the phone(s) will fail during an emergency call.  Not like calling the wife to get a case of beer from the store, I mean like, someone is breaking into your house and the phone craps out when your try to call 911.  Next thing you know you're the victim of a homicide.  Do I think that Sprint and Samsung should address this issue before such a scenario plays out?  YES, YES absolutely YES!

Unfortunately I do not have a solution.  You do have to root the phone to use a battery calibrator, but It doesn't help.  Actually I dare say it might have exaggerated the problem.  At one point I did invest in an "extended" battery off of Amazon.com.  It will add life to your phone, but it's a wasted effort.  The extended battery seemed to take longer than twice as long to charge, and once you hit that 50% mark, all bets are off as to whether the phone will keep running.  Honestly, I think this boils down to false battery reporting.  Perhaps in an effort to create the appearance of battery life it was written in the code to cheat by just flat out lying.  So it makes me wonder if anyone could root their phone with a different non-samsung Android OS, would it continue to just die randomly?  I'm not a hacker, but I wish someone would give that a shot so we could know if this is a bonafide hardware or software issue. 

It does not surprise me that Sprint denies this problem, it would cost them a lot to fix.  And Samsung isn't going to be so honest about it for the same reasons.  Which is unfortunate because personally I give respect to anyone (or in this case company) which admits they made a mistake and actually strives to make ammends. 

My advice, ditch sprint, they screwed us all with their denials, and switch phone brands.  HTC seems to make a nice handset.

Journeyman

Samsung Epic Shuts Off

Hello,

I'd like to apologize for the battery issues you're having with your Epic 4G. Samsung's Executive Customer Service team would like to speak with you to see how we can resolve your issue. If you send us your name, phone number, and email address to Social_Support_Mobile@sta.samsung.com, a member of our ECR team will call you to see how they can help. If you have additional questions about your Epic 4G, you can contact the Samsung Social Support team at @GalaxySsupport on Twitter or Samsung Support on Facebook.

Sincerely,

SamsungCarla
Samsung Social Support Team
@SamsungCarla

Journeyman

Samsung Epic Shuts Off

This is an unsusual means of contact assuming you actually work for Samsung.

I tend to take issue with sending random pieces of information to anyone I do not know.  If you are a representitive of Samsung, Sprint should be able to identify me to you.

Also, with the help of the some Android savy people I have managed to downgrade my phone to Froyo EB13 which seems to have cured the random turn off problem.  The only time I have since seen it do that is when the battery is actually critically low.  Regardless, downgrading should not be a solution to this problem.

Journeyman

Samsung Epic Shuts Off

I agree.  The updates have only bricked these phones.  But SPRINT has offered to do nothing about it except bring it into a service center so they can do a hard reset, then because we can not replicate the failure on command, you get send out the door with a phone that now needs hours of work to get back to where it was before (restoring apps, backgrounds, contacts lists, wireless passwords, etc, etc, etc, etc.....).

Apparently there is no interest in resolving this issue.  The powers that be are fine with the fact that there are a huge number of phone they've sold for lots of money that are now so flawed they're almost unusable.  I don't know who to blame (Samsung?  Sprint?).  Maybe they think that now that they've wirelessly managed to make our phones stop working, we'll spend more money buying a new phone?  It's really frustrating.

Journeyman

Samsung Epic Shuts Off

If you have rooted your phone you can use a program called Titanium Backup.  It's a $10 app, but worth every penny.  You can use it to back up all your apps and user data to the SD card and restore it after a wipe.  however, you would have to re-root your phone for it to work properly.

You might be on to something.  With the planned obsolecense idea.  That kind of crap is why I can't buy an American car anymore.  Patching a phone with an OS which causes failures would be like a car company issuing a recall and pulling out one of your spark plugs before giving your car back.  If you have the means, downgrade your OS to EB13 and the problem should go away.

Journeyman

Samsung Epic Shuts Off

I stand corrected.  This problem has apparently not gone away.  I just discovered my phone had shut off, and upon turning it on, it shows 43% remaining on the battery.  So I guess as of now a solution to this problem still does not exist.

Journeyman

Samsung Epic Shuts Off

Today my phone shut off with 24% remaining on the battery.

Wizard

Samsung Epic Shuts Off

I don't think I've had the phone power itself down and turn off.  But I have had my phone do what looks like a reboot all by itself.  The odd thing is that, IIRC, the uptime doesn't go back to zero when this happens.  It sure looks like a reboot though, often not recognizing all the apps on the SD card (a regular occurrence when I reboot the phone, unfortunately).  I'm not sure what's going on or why it's happening.  It's not terrible, but it is annoying, especially when I have to work to make sure all my apps on the SD card do get recognized properly (meaning multiple reboots and/or pulling the battery).

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat