cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Epic Shuts Off

Journeyman

Samsung Epic Shuts Off

Count me as another victim of this issue.  I was an early adopter.  Anyone else.  I wonder if it's specific to the early shipments of these phones in conjunction with the new software updates.  I'm at the point where I'm losing more calls that finishing them due to the phone shutting completely down.  I would like this resolved, please tell me how to fix it.  A software reset isn't fixing this and that's all the store has been offering.

Sprint, please respond to this post.

Randall

Ps.  I'm already pretty tee'd off about the customer service I've received up to now:

I tried hard resetting myself before taking the phone in to the "authorized service center".  Of course the "ran tests" and hard reset the device and sent me on my way.  When I came back for the same issue, they referred me to the "corporate service center".  That place was a nightmare.  They asked me what was wrong.  Took my phone and had me wait.  Three and a half hours later they brought it back, told me they updated some software (the os version number did not change by the way), and sent me on my way.  Of course they hard reset it again.  I decided to try calling technical support.  They said it was "not a known issue" (whatever...b.s.) and referred me back to a corporate service center.  I advised them of the terrible experience that I had at the support center.  She suggested I could deal with Samsung.  That's cute given the fact that I have a service agreement with Sprint that I pay extra for.  As of now, that agreement is worthless because Sprint isn't honoring it.  Regardless, I asked about typical turn around time at Samsung and she said 6-8 weeks.  This is my first Sprint phone (and definately my last if this isn't resolved the very next time I interact with Sprint) so I don't have a backup.  Of course she had no alternate phone or anything for me to use in the mean time but I'm guaranteed to be billed $200 for the two months I'm without my phone.  I've officially dealt with Sprint for 6 hours plus all the time it has taken me to reconfigure my phone after the hard resets.  That is an entire work day+.  I'm about one or two visits away from taking this phone in, causing a scene and smashing it in front of a large croud of customers at the corporate office, and then paying the $50 for a replacement.  Saturday around one or two p.m. should give me a good audience.

Journeyman

Re: Samsung Epic Shuts Off

I totally know where you're coming from.  Sometimes I can get through a day without it turning off, but more often than not, that won't happen.  It did it to me yesterday, and when I turned it on it was showing 51% on the battery. 

I have reason to believe the phone shuts off when it's switching between cell towers.  Why?  Well, where I work we have sprint repeaters in the administrative portions of our building because our sales staff uses sprint air cards in their laptops.  But there are also dead zones in the warehouse part of this building.  I tend to move in and out of these ares all day.  So IMHO, the phone is most likely to randomly shut down when it picks up a signal from a closer repeater or cell tower.  I often try to avoid battery drain by putting the phone in airplane mode and use it as an MP3 player.  When I do this in the same conditions which would cause it to shut down, it never does.  This is why I am certain this issue is related to the cell phone's radio.  And It's not a problem exclusive to where I work, I've discovered my phone shut off when I'm out in public as well.

Anyway, this most likely explains the run around we're all getting.  While one might assume this can be fixed with software, clearly they would have done so if it were possible.  So this is most likely a hardware issue which would require a very pricy mass recall, and it's just easier to lie and say the problem doesn't exist than to admit fault and risk more lawsuits.

Worth noting, when I'm home I have it connect to my WiFi instead of Sprint's 3G, and I've never seen it turn off when connected to wifi.  However!  The phone did shut down in the middle of a phone call when I was at home.  This lends further creedance to the possibility that this is an issue with the phone's cellular radio.  I'm certain that this is in fact a hardware issue, not a software issue.

Anyone else in this forum interested in starting a class action?  Samsung must know what the problem is and that it can't be fixed without a recall.  It's also a safe bet that Sprint is complicit in this lie.

Journeyman

I think it is either related to the radio or battery reporting.  If it's the radio, my guess is that the radio is creating too much draw on the battery, causing the device to shut down.  If it's not that, then I think the battery is being reported wrong.  Either way, the device has been unusable as a cell phone because I have to be plugged into the wall and stationary to use it unless the battery is newly fully charged (anywhere close to 50% = shutdown).  I'm personally putting my eggs in a heavy battery draw issue by the cellular radio.

Again Sprint, please have someone who is not an idiot and who at least has "the authority" to replace my phone contact me so we can come to some sort of conclusion on this matter.

Journeyman

There is no doubt in my mind that this is related to a battery reporting issue.... Here is my evidence.

My phone has had three distinct symptoms, each getting slowly worse and worse, and eventually it was finally bad enough that I was able to convince my local store to give me a new phone - and only then because I had the insurance. The three symptoms were, in order that they appeared in...

(1) Phone shut off, claiming low battery. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, the phone would shut off without warning. Sometimes in my pocket, sometimes while I was on the phone. When the phone turned on, it had plenty of battery left. When it did shut down and I noticed it during the shutdown, it would always give me message that the battery was critically low. Then when I turned it back on (and called the person, explaining why I had so rudely hung up on them) the phone had plenty of battery. The phone was "confused" how much battery it had. One SPRINT store rep said he saw this on many different phones like mine.

I thought this might be a battery characteristic. IT IS NOT RELATED TO THE BATTERY. In my line of work, I happen to have a SPRINT kiosk very close to me, and one of the things they will do is trade out, for free, a dead battery for a newly charged one. I have used at least 20 different batteries in my phone - it happens to every single one of them. If I had ever found a battery that didn't exhibit this behavior, I would have protected it with my life.

(2) Charging (RED) and Full Charged (BLUE) light stays on. Eventually, my phone started leaving this charging light on even when I disconnected the charger. Along with this I noticed that battery started reporting the wrong battery life to me (no matter what widget I tried). Then, it started leaving the BLUE "Fully Charged" battery light on as well. I would wake up in the morning with the Blue light on (charger plugged in all night) and the blue light would stay on all day, until I turned the phone off and restarted it. The Battery app or widget would also report 100% until I rebooted (or until it shut itself off... See #1).

(3) Phone will not turn on. This is the final stage of this sickness. It started intermittently, and eventually it becomes terminal. The phone will not turn on. If you remove the battery and reinstall it, you will momentarily get an "EMPTY BATTERY" graphics display, then it will shut down. It never goes through the start-up process. When this happened originally, (even though I had just fully charged my battery) it would help if I swapped out my battery for another battery. Then that stopped working. Sometimes leaving the battery out for a while, then re-installing it would work. Then that stopped working. Each time you reinstall the battery, it shows that the battery is dead. When you finally get it to start up, it shows the correct battery life. Eventually, nothing would turn it on. This is when I *FINALLY* got my SPRINT store to replace the phone. After wasting literally HUNDREDS of hours fighting with my phone constantly, waiting on line with customer service, waiting at SPRINT stores, swapping batteries, buying extra chargers so I would always have one with me, and trading E-Mails with Customer Service reps from this board, I was finally able to get them to replace the phone because even they could not get it to turn on.

A little extra information that might help with diagnosing this...

I was an early adopter of Froyo. I got the first OTA installation before it was cancelled.

During the life of my phone, it has had a full factory reset at least ten times trying to resolve this and other issues. Each time SPRINT reps suggest it like it's a simple Control-Alt-Delete. They're never around when you then have to spend hours getting your contacts back, apps back, sounds right, settings back in place, lost game data restored, etc, etc, etc....

My phone is not, and has never been rooted.

My battery life is, and always has been horrible.

Good luck to everyone who is having this issue. My new phone, although it stills has all the common Samsung EPIC issues, this issue is resolved. At least I have a usable phone until my SPRINT contract expires.

Journeyman

That sounds like Samsung realized it was a hardware issue and by the time you got a new Epic they had replaced the defective hardware with reliable hardware.  I got my Epic practically on launch day, so if you got a replacement months or even a year later you could have a better phone.  Just like anyone buying an Xbox now will not suffer the Red Ring of Death because the cause of that problem was identified and rooted out.  If this is the case, Samsung needs to step up and offer warranty extensions or replacements to those suffering with this hardware malfunction.  Microsoft did.

BTW, in the time between this and my last post, my phone shut off, and showed 47% when it came back on.  I'm never buying a Samsung again.  My wife's Samsung Moment is crap, and the Epic is an Epic Fail.  Guess I'll try HTC next time.

Journeyman

I was wondering about that.  Mine came from the first shipment of these things as well - bought it on day one.  I have hardware version D700.0.5 in About phone (I think that's the number that counts anyways).

Journeyman

Mine is also D700.0.5. 

SWHITEH33, what is the Hardware Version on your new Epic?

Wizard

Samsung Epic Shuts Off

We don't have any known issues listed for this, I would like to get more information on this and provide this to our device group. If anyone is comfortable with copying over a file from your SD card and sending it in an email to me could you please send me a private message with the subject line "Epic Powering Off", I will send you instructions on how to provide me with some additional information.

Journeyman

Samsung Epic Shuts Off

I've been having problems with my Epic since I first got it. The signal strengths is the worst of the 4 phones we have with mine being the best. Every week it starts vibrating and the only way to stop it is to reset it. Luckily I found out how because I used to have to pull off the case and then the battery cover, then the battery. I would be fully awake by then since I use it as my alarm. There are other problems like the battery going from 50% to 15% in one minute. I guess the weak signal is the worst point but I have an Airave for when I'm at home. I may be buying an iPhone 4s but I am paying attention to all of the problems everyone else is having. The last thing I want to do is make a 2 yr mistake like I did with my Moment and ended up buying the Epic outright. That may be the reason I haven't tossed it out the window yet. The Epic Touch seems like a good phone but my last two Samsung phones haven't pleased me in the slightest way.

Journeyman

Samsung Epic Shuts Off

Hi Shane.  I sent you my email address in PM.  Thanks in advance for any help.

Journeyman

Samsung Epic Shuts Off

Ha. This has been happening to my wife's Epic for months. She got hers near launch and I got mine a few months ago. No issues with mine but hers is doing all the things described earlier. Vibrating conatantly until you pull the battery, shutting off 7-8 times a day. Hers doesn't really shut off though. It just won't "wake up" from slep -- nothing will respond. I know its not off because soft reset (power + camera button + volume up) will reboot the phone. Service center said its probably a bad app or it could be that she has too many apps on it... what the hell is the point of having an app based phone if you can't put apps on it? Tell an iPhone user they have to limit their apps or the phone might shut off at random and they would go nuts!

Journeyman

Samsung Epic Shuts Off

Replied to you on Friday.  Still haven't heard from you.  And why won't you just tell everyone here what file your needing?

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat