cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Epic and Froyo

Journeyman

Samsung Epic and Froyo

I have been with Spring for six months.  I signed up for Sprint shortly after the Epic 4g went on sale.  I knew I wanted to get that phone becuase of all of it's features and my company I worked for offered a nice discount for Sprint.  Since that time, I have been underwhelmed with how Sprint has taken care of it's product and supplied updates.  The Epic is still the most costly phone, and was when I purchased it in September.  Still, no Froyo update that has been pushed succesfully to the phone.  Yet, some phones are being upgraded to 2.3 on other networks, and from what I understand, the Evo will soon get that update as well.  I recently went to a Sprint store for another issue, and the tech guy installed it on my phone for me.  I was thankful.  My phone is running so much better for it too.  But I guess I am frustrated that I'm having to put so much effort into getting what should be coming already.  I bought a high end phone, but not getting high end service.  The CS workers in the stores are great and helpful, but it's the product itself that is not leaving me wanting more.  Please get this resolved.  I love the Epic Phone, and it's features, and it's screen beats the Evos out of the water even though it's smaller becuase of it's display.  

8 REPLIES 8
Journeyman

Samsung Epic and Froyo

So you are saying that the CS rep put Froyo update on your Epic or 2.3?  I had to visit the sprint store today but he said don't do it yet because of the many problems the Epic is having with the update.

Samsung Epic and Froyo

I apologize for the issues and the confusion with the FROYO 2.2 update. I do want to clarify that you have the update on your device and it is working properly? For many customers who own EPIC/Galaxy S phones the update has not been working properly as well as causing issues on the phone itself. We had to pull the FROYO update and are currently working diligently with Samsung to get the update working properly on all the Galaxy S devices. Until that time the 2.3 update will not be released on the EPIC. I'm sorry for the inconvenience and frustrations this has caused but we are working to get a resolution for our customers.

Misty

Technical support

Journeyman

Samsung Epic and Froyo

The CS Tech put the Froyo update on my phone.   He didn't put 2.3 or gingerbread on it. This wasn't the over-the-air update that was pushed to phones and had so many problems 3 weeks ago.  Rather, this was the update that was downloadable.  The tech mentioned that this update had no issues that he knew about.  The issues were coming from the over-the-air update, and how the computer was unlocking the information once it was downloaded to the phone.  Since he put that update on my phone, it runs faster, and I can tell a difference in performance.  I was there originally because I was having 4g connection issues.  I was having a hard time with my phone locking onto a 4g signal, even though I knew I was in a good signal area.  Once he did a reset and installed Froyo on my phone, I've had no issues.  I love that the apps store onto the micro SD card instead of on the internal memory, as this seems to free up memory and make the phone faster. 

Again, though, like I've said, I just wish though that Sprint was more pro-active in getting these updates to consumers without all of the issues and making things like this so complicated.  I don't know if this is a Samsung problem or a Sprint problem.  I'm sure it's a little bit of both.  I hope that with the new Galaxy S 2 coming out soon, that they clean this stuff up so it's not a problem in the future, cause if it is, I'm not upgrading to another Galaxy S.

Journeyman

Samsung Epic and Froyo

Frankly Misty, I am sick of the excuses from Sprint and Samsung about the Froyo upgrade.  I will think long and hard before I buy another Samsung device.  As usual SPRINT and BAD SERVICE are one in the same.

Journeyman

Samsung Epic and Froyo

Since your phone is running great and you love it, what seems to be the problem?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Samsung Epic and Froyo

There is no problem wit the update or the phone.  Both seem to be doing anf running.  Th Epic with Froyo is a great combination.  Tbe problem I still have is with Sprint and Samsung.  I am still frustrated that it was this complicated to get an update to my phone.  ; am frustrated that although Sprint continues to say they are woking to correct the issues with the over-the-air update they pushed to phones in February, nothing has happened yet.  I am frustrated that I have Sprint's most expensive, top of the line phone, but yet seem to be getting shafted compared to other handsets who are starting to upgrade to 2.3 gingerbread.

Journeyman

Samsung Epic and Froyo

After the update my Epic works like garbage, compared to before the update. I had never had one problem with my Epic, and then after it took over six months for 2.2 upgrade for they still did not get it right. They should have waited until my one year upgrade...LOL Same thing happened to the last upgrade on my last phone. The HTC Hero. It worked great and then 2.1 update and it was horrible, I wanted to downgrade to 2.0, and HTC and Sprint just blew me off. I'm a 13 year customer with Sprint, to to them just a phone number. I went through 5 Hero's before finally they changed my upgrade eligibility, so I could BUY another phone. The jerks would not even give me a phone. Geee Thanks for the great service NOT!!!

Journeyman

Samsung Epic and Froyo

If you're technically "all there", why bother with OTA when you can do everything on your own?  

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat