cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Epic has Epic Problems - Help?

Journeyman

Samsung Epic has Epic Problems - Help?

I purchased my new Epic 9/3.  I immediately had problems with the wifi; getting a error message "unable to scan for network".  After three factory resets, Sprint Phone Support sent me to a store for an exchange.  After a prompt exchange, we tested the wifi at the Sprint store and it scanned for networks just fine.  Got home, connected to my secure, non-broadcasting wifi and the problem re-emerged - "unable to scan for network".

I've read numerous threads about rooting and modifying system files; however, Sprint says if I root the  phone my warranty is void.  Factory resets fix the problem until you attempt to remember a secure, non-broadcasting SSID.  Sprint declares this is a limited problem; yet, I see dozens of threads in the Sprint Community, as well as, Android forums that testify contrary.

Does anyone know if this problem will be, or can be resolved via a software update by Sprint and/or Samsung?  I've been a Sprint customer for 9 years but after two hours on the phone, a trip to the store and still no resolution... Well, maybe it is time to buy out and move on?

Why would Sprint charge a customer $10 a month for 4G but then when customer complain of poor signal strength the tech's agree it is spotty at best?  Further, everyone that I spoke two about this problem over the past four days has said keep 4G turned off unless you really need it!  Good grief, what kind of solution is that?

Finally, I purchased the Epic for the tethering.  The salesman in the store never mentioned that is an additional $29 a month!  When I called Sprint support the lady said [quote], "Yeah, I'm very sorry about that miscommunication, sir."  Ok, anyone can make a mistake but as a company, Sprint should make it good.

Thanks for any help!

6 REPLIES 6
Sprint Product Ambassador

Re: Samsung Epic has Epic Problems - Help?

Yes, as you see in the other thread, we've documented the issue.  It can be fixed by a software push.  We don't currently have a release date for that.

Thanks for posting!

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Journeyman

FYI, the Epic update released this weekend, DI07, fixed my Wifi "unable to scan" issue. My Wifi problem started yesterday (9/17) and was fixed by the software update pushed to me today (9/19). After the update, when I turned on my Wifi it automatically detected my network and showed my previously added networks as well. Hope this helps.

Journeyman

go to andriod market and get a tethering app. it is free.

Journeyman

You said you have a "secure, non broadcasting" WiFi at home.  If your SSID is hidden, that is the problem.  It is well known (Google around for confirmation if you like) that the WiFi radio on this phone cannot connect to hidden SSIDs.  I know of no solution except to broadcast your SSID on your WiFi access point or router, or get a different phone.  (Maybe someone will hack the Epic's WiFi drivers to fix this for rooted phones, but I have never heard of it yet.  You might ask in the xda-developer forums.)

If you are using WPA2 encryption with a strong passkey, you should have ample security.  Hiding the SSID adds no significant protection IMHO.  It is only useful against casual lookers.  To any intruder who can crack a WPA2 connection, a hidden SSID would not even be a speed bump.   There are plenty of tools available to fnd hidden SSIDs.  (If your phone or laptop can find hidden SSID's, what makes you think a malicious hacker can't?)  I have used WiFi since the early days of 802.11b 10 years ago, and researched security pretty thoroughly.  Experts have always scoffed at hiding the SSID as false security, like thinking no one can tap your landline phone if you have an unlisted number.

My own SSID is "GoAway"

Journeyman

I thought I would document here my solution to this non-broadcasting SSID issue, to help anyone who is still fighting this.  As I wrote in another thread:

"Turns out my work had switched to a non-broadcasting SSID in the last few days.  As is well documented on this site, non-broadcasting SSID's are an issue.  What I could not find documented on this site was the solution, which I found on another forum.  It turns out that if you have TWO copies of that network on your network list on your phone, and make one of them "open" security, it works fine.  Somehow the "open" version finds the network, then hands it off to the other one.  I have no explanation for how it works, but it does, and it works great."

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks for this suggestion.  This worked for me.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat