Have been experiencing same problem for some time but did not when I first received the phone. Engaged the PIN functionality after having the phone for a bit but did not link the PIN to the lack of GPS lock. After reviewing messages in this thread:
With all of the changes, PIN activiated, no screen security and PASSWORD activated, the Use Secure Credentials box remained grayed and checked.
Are you saying that you now have complete functionality of your GPS after doing those things? If so, does it last longer than 2 - 5 minutes? Longer than 30 minutes? I thought I read somewhere that this caused someone to lose all of their stuff on their sdcard; did your sdcard remain completely intact after doing the things you mentioned?
I followed the steps in ND13's post and my GPS works perfect now.
Installed GPS Status app
Activated screen PASSWORD functionality
GPS locked on immediately
ND13's post seems to fix the problem on my Sprint (USA) Galaxy S2. For those of you who don't read cryptic geek-only instructions, note....
1. Download the "GPS Status & Toolbox" app from the Android "Play Store" and then install on your phone .
2. Un-check your phone pin or "visible pattern" screen lock security. If you don't use it, then don't worry about unchecking it. On the Galaxy S2 this is found in Settings > Location and security. I use the visible pattern so I unchecked it here.
3. Re-boot your phone. Just hold the power (right side button) until prompted to turn off the phone. Press "Power off" and then wait a few mins. The push the same button for two seconds and release to turn the phone back on.
4. Le the phone fully re-boot. Then go into Settings > Location and Security and re-check your pin or visible pattern screen lock.
5. To see if it worked, try opening google maps, search for a business and try getting directions to it. After I made this fix, the nav with Google maps locks on almost instantly! (before it was, ugh! ...well you know)
I am getting sick of this phone. Unfortunately had it longer than 14 days BEFORE realizing that the GPS signal never locks on. My old original EVO was awesome. I want to get rid of this phone and get the new EVO but this is probably going to be impossible.
I guess if sprint showed me a fix to this GPS problem and got us ICS I'd probably be okay with keeping this phone. I've brought phone to store numerous times, they seem to always get the GPS working again for a day or so and then when I want to use it again a week or so later it never works. EXTREMELY frustrating and don't know what to do.
Sprint, I have 6 people on my family plan, have been a customer for about 15 years now and have loyally defended your company against all of the Verizon members in my family. If it weren't for your cheap prices right now I would've switched to Verizon with this last upgrade but if you don't fix the issues in these complaints I will certainly jump ship next time.
FIX these problems and start telling your customer service folks about these issues. I'm sick of talking to people and they keep saying, "oh, no one else has complained about this" READ YOUR OWN FORUMS AND REVIEWS!
I'm sorry you're experiencing issues with the GPS. Samsung and Sprint are investigating the reports of GPS issues. I can tell you that we did announce that the Galaxy S2 will be getting ICS but there has not been any exact timing announced. It's possible the techs in the store are clearing the aGPS cache on the phone by downloading the GPS test application from the market. There's also a few work arounds that others have found and are posted in the forums like the one above your post by davepindy. The investigation has been communicated and available to care and tech reps so I do apologize the agents your speaking with did not inform you of the investigation.
GPS Status is great. It fixed my and my wife's GPS locking issues. I did not have to restart/reboot the phone or disable screen locking for it to work, but if that "trick" makes the GPS work for you, go for it...
Most important, here is the "instruction manual" on how to use GPS Status: http://m.eclipsim.com/gpsstatus/intro
link to GPS Status in the app store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.
link to GPS Status FAQ section: http://m.eclipsim.com/gpsstatus/
Hope this helps!
If Sprint would ever get the ICS update out we would not have to worry about all this. Sprint is sucking right now. Quote"the only major US carrier yet to make its ICS update available is Sprint"
Come on Sprint get it together, your customers do not like being last ... way last.