ForumTopicPage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I get this or the Nexus S?

Journeyman

I currently have the Samsung Rant and am a big fan of the slideout keyboard. When I read about the Epic 4G, I thought it looked amazing. Then I found out about the Nexus and it sounds like it's a better phone. Only thing is it doesn't have the slideout keyboard. I'm not sure if I need one though as it seems to have a touchscreen keyboard. I was recently playing around with my friend's iPhone though and I didn't like the lack of a keyboard. Does anyone have any helpful insight?

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Journeyman

The Nexus S has similar hardware as the Epic 4G but I believe that you cannot remove your SD card on the Nexus (so no upgrading).  The camera isn't as good, either, because it does not record in HD like the Epic does.

This is just what the owner of one (Nexus S T-Mobile) has told me.  I think performance is similar and you'll get OS upgrades faster.

It could be a bit different for Sprint but that's what I was told from my coworker.

Journeyman

I also got the Epic because of the slideout keyboard. I hated the on screen keyboard on my Hero. Now that I've got the Epic though I've discovered Swype. It makes using the virtual keyboard much, much easier and I rarely find myself using the hardware keyboard.  If I was trying to choose a new phone tomorrow I would definitely not consider the keyboard nearly as much as I did.

Journeyman

Re: Should I get this or the Nexus S?

Maybe the Epic is a good transitional phone then. Since it has both methods, it might make it easier to go without it in the future.

Journeyman

I love Swype, but I do find longer emails or longer texts easier with the keyboard.  Some games as well are better with mapping keys to the hardware button and not having your thumb covering up half the screen when you are playing with the virtual d-pads.

I love my Epic, but am strongly considering the Nexus S solely for the qucker software updates.  More for security reasons than the new features, but that doesn't hurt.

Journeyman

I was at the sprint store for 3 hours playing with these two and one other (HTC EVO Shift) To try and figure out which I preferred, and my final decision was the Epic.

Yeah, the security's not that great considering a simple phone call gives you access, but the keypad that it has is WAY better than the other two. I felt like I was punching the motherboard inside to get the keys to work. I'd stick with the Epic for now.

Journeyman

DO NOT GET THIS PHONE this phone is the worst phone i have ever owned, after the update my phone now works horrible i cannot wait to get the nexus s allthough i am a little leary because it is also a samsung i had it two days and it started acting up sprint has does nothing to resolve my issues they keep saying they r coming out with another update soon and the will not exchange my device i am seriously thinking of cancelling my whole account because of this stinking phone

Journeyman

Re: Should I get this or the Nexus S? @TMUNCH

Really?!

What issues are you having?

I had 3 issues with my phone all in the first weekend, and haven't had any more problems since.

I went into the Sprint store and they helped me with each issue and made sure everything was working

how I wanted it to.

My issues were:

Not being able to edit facebook/myspace contacts;

This was fixed by making a second contact with the same name, adding the info there, then joining the 2

contacts together.

The phone kept reading me my contacts names when they called or texted.

Had to reset the phone to fix this. For some reason my phone did that straight out of the box

and I had not installed any accessibility apps, so no clue how that happened.

And my last issue was simple. My battery died after 7 hours. I was used to my Blackberry lasting me all

day on a full charge and the Epic won't last that long. Especially not because I'm always on it.  ;0)

So I bought an extra battery w/ it's own charger and charger cable. Now I just swap 'em out when my

Battery dies and I'm not attached to the wall while I play on my phone.

So, I don't know why you say they wo't help you.... I still LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my Epic! ❤️

Wizard

ANDREAJ1029 wrote:

Really?!

What issues are you having?

I had 3 issues with my phone all in the first weekend, and haven't had any more problems since.

I went into the Sprint store and they helped me with each issue and made sure everything was working

how I wanted it to.

My issues were:

Not being able to edit facebook/myspace contacts;

This was fixed by making a second contact with the same name, adding the info there, then joining the 2

contacts together.

The phone kept reading me my contacts names when they called or texted.

Had to reset the phone to fix this. For some reason my phone did that straight out of the box

and I had not installed any accessibility apps, so no clue how that happened.

And my last issue was simple. My battery died after 7 hours. I was used to my Blackberry lasting me all

day on a full charge and the Epic won't last that long. Especially not because I'm always on it.  ;0)

So I bought an extra battery w/ it's own charger and charger cable. Now I just swap 'em out when my

Battery dies and I'm not attached to the wall while I play on my phone.

So, I don't know why you say they wo't help you.... I still LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my Epic! ❤️

I am in agreement with you. I myself am a hardcore Epic user. The only "problem" I have experienced is battery life. However I found that obviously using the built in task killer is helpful as well as minimizing the duration of the backlight on the screen and keyboard.

I have heard from a couple of buddies that the Nexus S has really great battery life. I suppose it's just a matter of preference.

@TMUNCH

I have the latest EC05 update and as well. What kinds of issues are you experiencing with your device? Let me know and I can provide some suggestions.

--William

Journeyman

I am in agreement with you. I myself am a hardcore Epic user. The  only "problem" I have experienced is battery life. However I found that  obviously using the built in task killer is helpful as well as  minimizing the duration of the backlight on the screen and keyboard.

I  have heard from a couple of buddies that the Nexus S has really great  battery life. I suppose it's just a matter of preference.

@TMUNCH

Please tell me that you are not using the Advanced Task Killer App...that will wreck your phone, and also drains the battery because it is constantly running. I sell Sprint phones, and the ones that people bring back in to exchange/swap because of issues, 95% of the time, they have the Advanced Task Killer App on their phone. We even had a memo a month or so ago saying how bad that App is and should NOT be downloaded on ANY phone...

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat