cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signal strength between Epic and Evo

Journeyman

Signal strength between Epic and Evo

I am a new subscriber coming over from AT&T due to no service in the local area.  My first phone was an HTC Evo and I really liked the phone but returned it after reading the impressive specs on the Samsung Epic.  The problem was immediately when I got home with the Epic I noticed I had 0 to 2 bars and experience dropped calls.  The Evo had 3 to 4 bars and never had a dropped a call.  I know this was not an application issue or bad phone issue because my wife and I both had the same phones.  I even reset the phone to the original setting so there would be no applications installed and made sure all updates were updated... Still between 0 to 2 bars.  I thought maybe the way I am holding the phone was the problem so I sat it down and placed calls on the speakerphone.. Same problem.  The conclusion is that the Evo receives better signal than the Epic.  I went back to the Evo.  I personally like both phones but after having many "antenna issues" with my iPhone with AT&T I wanted to share my findings to help those in weaker signal areas that 2 bars stronger is the difference of having a phone work or not and it was clear the Evo delivered more bars and no dropped calls.

On another note I did also have a problem with the Epic when using the camera the screen would lock up and not let me shut it down so I could only power down the phone and restart.  This seems to be a problem other's have had from reading some of the post.

9 REPLIES 9
Journeyman

Re: Signal strength between Epic and Evo

wadepaddock,

I don't have another phone to compare signals with, but my experience is that outside in Chicago I get 5-6 bars.  Inside at work in a downtown office building I typically get 1-2 bars, and quite often 0 bars.  I am convinced that this is the reason I cannot make it through the day at work without getting a low battery warning.  At home still in Chicago, it is a little better.  I don't know if this is problem for all Epic phones because this is the first post (besides mine in the "How long is your Epic battery last?" post).  It seems that not all phones have the same problems.  I am interested to hear if anyone else has the same problem.

arewin

Journeyman

I had a Blackberry on the Sprint network and just got the Epic. I always had 5 bars at home and in my office and could go for days on one battery charge. With the Epic it goes in and out of signal thru out the day (even as it sits in one place on a table) and beeps because it has no signal. I NEVER have 5 bars on it, and miss calls and have no voicemail notifications due to no signal. I am currently on my second Epic trying to resolve this issue.

Journeyman

I've noticed this as well with the Epic.  My office is located in a densely populated business center.  Outside, I can get about 5-6 bars.  However, inside where my office is by the Window, I can immediately drop from 5 bars down to 2 bars.  Throughout the day, the signal flatuates between 2 to 0 bars in the office.

I've also noticed on occassion while driving on the freeway where the signal is strong, I can go from full bars down to 0 for couple of seconds and then back again.  People on other forums seems to be having the same issues with the Samsung Galaxy S class phones.  Hopefully its a firmware issue that can be fixed.

Journeyman

Reefer,

I emailed Sprint yesterday about my the low signal inside.  Got the auto-email that it was rec'd, and then another with the phone number for tech supt.   Short story:I called this morning & I gave the tech my address, he checked that a there was a power outage at the tower in this area.  The tech would put in a comment to the "appropriate group".  Later in the morning I saw two young men walking around the office holding up a laptop with an antenna.  I asked if they were checking for a signal, they were and they were from Sprint!  Now I think it was a coincidence, but I was getting 4 & 5 bars all day.  My phone lasted all day (a first).  I finally started charging it after 14hr with about 30% battery left.  Understand that I don't use the phone much.  I rec'd emails (maybe 10-15) and sent 3 or 4, a couple text messages and a couple of short calls.  But with even this low usage I was only able to get about 8hrs before today.  I think this confirms my idea  that the phone was searching for a signal and using up the battery.  I'll let you know how it goes.

arewin

Journeyman

My bars are going from 4 to 1 to 3 to 2 to 2 to 1. So annoying I take it to the service center and they say its full now so it's working fine. Thanks for your help Sprint Store. Useless employees that have no knowledge. Wish I wouldn't have ever bought this stupid phone.

Journeyman

I live in Veagas, and I hve to say I'm inpressed with my signal. For the most part I get 4-6 bars all around the city and with 4G. There are a few places that I drop to 2-3 bars yet it still is decently fast and even at 2 bars I never lose a call. The only places I found that don't have signal (so far) is death valley and valley of fire but that makes sense. I have been inpressed with the signal strength of the Epic.

Journeyman

I'm on my 2nd Epic in a week after originally buying the EVO. I like the phone better than the EVO but the signal is terrible. The places I use it most are at work and home and in some places at work it is useless. I get roaming warnings and when I try to roam I still can't get a signal. Even at home on wifi it stinks. If I can't use it where I need it most what's the point? I didn't have these issues with the EVO. Tomorrow I will be switching back, assuming they have an EVO in stock at Radio Shack.

Journeyman

I am frustrated with the signal on my Epic as well.  I compared it with my previous hero.  The hero stayed between 1-2 bars was consistent and stable.

The Epic is between 0-2 bars and is unstable and fluctuates.  It will be doing fine between 1 and 2 and the drop the signal even if i am in the same spot!

I returned my first Epic when i first bought it because of this.  But this one does the same thing.

I was hoping a new baseband version would help this in the future.

I wish that Sprint or Samsug or whoever would address this problem.

Journeyman

Got an Epic on April.  I like the UI better than the EVO plus it was a bit cheaper.  I do noticed that bars go up and down.  I can be sitting in the same spot and have 4 bars and suddenly drop to 0  then go back up again and drop again.  It's like this all day.  I think this is a phone issue.  

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat