cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simple fix for GPS/Gingerbread issues!

Journeyman

I can't believe this worked! Downloaded the GPS Status & Toolbox  app, which instantly fixed the loss of GPS signal, and inaccuracy  problems which have plagued my phone since the Gingerbread update. It  now locks on more satellites, and I'm getting an accuracy of 2 meters,  vs 20 M. Simply download the app, and it does the rest. No need to run the app when using GPS programs, it just works in the background somehow.

It's a free app, but I plan on making a donation to the developer.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.eclipsim.gpsstatus2&hl=en

9 REPLIES 9
Journeyman

Didn't work for me - after 15 minutes or so, I lose signal, icon gets stuck in the status bar when I turn off GPS, and I can't regain signal without rebooting the phone.  Nice idea, but I uninstalled it.

Journeyman

Forgot to mention, you need to open the GPS Status & Toolbox app at least once, that way it can download what it needs to fix your GPS.

Journeyman

I did open it and ran the Reset GPS and Clear Cache options, but the behavior didn't change. I think I have to wait for Samsung to fix this or just bite the bullet, pay the ETF and move on.

Journeyman

Odd that it worked on my Epic and others, and not yours. I was also  considering paying the ETF and going elsewhere, unit I found this very  handy band-aid. Samsung still needs to come up with a fix for this issue, and it's pissing me off that it's taking so long. The other option you have, is having your phone setback to Froyo. The GPS worked flawlessy with Froyo, and then they mucked everything up wtih Gingerbread.

Journeyman

I was actually trying to root it and apply one of the GPS fixes from XDA, but I've tried about 5 cables and every USB port on my machine and just can't get the phone to be recognized.

Journeyman dhb
Journeyman

Re: Simple fix for GPS/Gingerbread issues!

'scuse my ignorance.I downloaded the app but  I am not finding the "clear cache" option. Since the "upgrade" my phone regularly freezes with GPS bases apps and shuts itself down when it has plenty of power. Numerous , useless trips to sprint store...I'm seriously considering my next carrier for our 6-phone plan.

Journeyman

Open app.... Menu button > Tools > Manage A-GPS state.  Click reset to clear all cached GPS data. Click download to get GPS assistance data from the internet.

Journeyman

I have been using that app since Froyo.  It just clears and updates the AGPS information.  Thing is my old windows phone would do this automatically when the AGPS information expires.  Why can't this be part of the phone software.  I don't want to have to run an app to update AGPS every time I want to use navigation!

Highlighted
Journeyman

you have to do that because the interface between gingerbread and GPS is broken.

I also found that if I turn the GPS off, even though it doesnt really turn off, that helps as well.

Sort of like Blowing on your nintendo cartridges isnt it?

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat