cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So is there an answer for those of us who just plain don't like and don't want the 2.2 update?

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

So is there an answer for those of us who just plain don't like and don't want the 2.2 update?

I received the 2.2 update otw and like the lemming I've become, I updated to EC05.  I detest it.  Now granted, I don't use as many of the features my Epic offers as many others here probably do.  So I can't attest to bluetooth functionality and whatnot.  But what this all boils down to for me is this: I don't like the update.  I don't like many of the changes it's made to my phone.  I now have issues that I didn't have before (although, not as many as others have reported).  I had ZERO issues with the stock 2.1 version.  I absolutely loved my Epic before.  Now I want to go "Office Space" on it.

In addition, I don't want to root my phone.  I don't want to void my warranty.  I don't want to risk bricking the phone.  I feel trapped, honestly.  Sprint makes you sign a new contract every time you upgrade, or else pay them off basically.  If I choose to customize my phone myself by rooting it, Sprint is essentially telling me, "You can do that, but you won't get support from us and you won't receive any updates from us either".  I feel like I'm in a bad relationship.

So since I'm seeing that many others dislike the update, rather than just listing everything I don't like, is there an answer to our grievances??  And specifically for me, a solution that won't void my warranty?  So far, the only option I've found is to go to a Sprint store and have them give me a new one with the stock version on it.

I'm becoming very disillusioned with Sprint right now.  Oh, and as the perfect cherry on top of this bitter sundae, my husband and I have been with Sprint for over 10 years and I couldn't get a break on the price of an Epic.  So since I wanted it really really really badly, I resorted to paying retail price.  It definitely hurt the pocketbook.

So enough rhetoric, anybody have any suggestions/solutions?

13 REPLIES 13
Journeyman

To resolve all your issues especially if its all software related do 1 or both of the following steps below:

1. format your SD card after backing it up.

2. perform a factiry reset of the device by going to menu/settings/privacy I believe.

2.2.1 (EC05) blows away 2.1 and you shouldn't even consider going back to an outdated OS. Your issues are easy to solve and once you perform the steps above you will enjoy your phone again.

Journeyman

If I was happy with the previous OS, why should I HAVE to update to 2.2??  Why can't I, as a paying customer, choose to stick with 2.1??  And no, I'm not just having software problems.  I've read some of the threads on the issue and I already know a factory reset would help, I'm not that much of a noob.  I'm not opposed to doing a reset but my keyboard is going out, certain buttons are not responsive unless I tap them several times (and I baby this phone fyi, no dropping, throwing, stepping on it, etc.)  My camera doesn't work AT ALL.  I can open the camera, can't take any pics and can't delete anything from my gallery.  In addition, some of the issues I've seen that other people are having are not being corrected by a reset.  I'm going to do a reset anyway before resorting to getting a replacement but I'm gonna be one angry asian ***** if I go through all of this and nothings changed.

And I disagree with you that 2.2 "blows away 2.1".  Some of the most basic functions like responsiveness, stability, etc. have degraded exponentially with the update.  Sorry, but I'm rather underwhelmed.

On a different level, who cares if I want to go back to 2.1???  Why can't I have control over my own device without being penalized for it??  I bought this darn thing and I pay for the service.  I should be able to use it how I want.  I don't like companies excising so much control over the consumer.  This brings to mind my feelings about the big music companies (file sharing anyone?), but that's a whole other can o' worms.  Companies should serve the consumer, not the other way around.  And if I want to go back to an older software version, I should have that right.

Journeyman

Sounds like you have a chip on your shoulder. The reset and SD card format should resolve your issues.  Back up your data first.  You state that your phone has degraded since the update.  Well, if you take the time to do the steps I mentioned earlier, your phone will not be in a degraded state. 

On a side note, I could care less if you go back to 2.1 or never buy a phone again.  It's your issue not mine.  I'm just trying to help.  If you prefer having temper tantrum on the internet versus trying to fix your issues, then to each his own.

Journeyman

reformatting and resetting the phone doesn't fix the defective  Auto rotating function. Sprint needs to take responsibility for the defect software and man up .

Journeyman

Yes, I suppose I do.  However, I am currently working on backing everything up right now so I can format SD card and do a factory reset.  Like I said, I don't mind taking these steps if it means improving my phones functionality, rather than giving up and asking for a new phone.  I do appreciate your trying to help.  You didn't have to reply but took the time to anyway.  A "tantrum" isn't what I was trying to convey and if I did, it's merely out of frustration over not feeling like I have control over my own device without rooting it, which is starting to look like a better option as time goes on.  I can't even back this thing up because it runs so slow and force-closes.  So it all may be a moot point anyway.

So not wanting to seem ungrateful, thank you for the advice.  I'm doing the very thing you suggested.  I asked a question with certain parameters and you offered your advice based on those parameters.

Wizard

After the reset, be careful what apps you reinstall. Some apps don't work the same on 2.2 as they did on 2.1 which is the root cause of some of the 2.2 issues.

Journeyman

Good stuff.  I look forward to hearing your reply after you reset your phone. 

Journeyman

I reset the phone and did not add any other apps and the Auto Rotate is still defective and rotates to slowly - 10 -15 second when on and rotates when off when making a phone call. Specifically... do you have any opinion on the Auto Rotate... Do you have the EPIC GALAXY S... I'm looking for a solution...

Journeyman

It seems many people have been helped by doing a horizontal calibration on a nice level surface with the phone face down (found in display-settings). I'm not sure if it will help your issues but if you have not done it, it's worth a try.

Journeyman

Hi, thanks for the response. I've spoken with a Sprint Tech who has an Epic Galaxy S  and they said that several areas of the phone have defects and it is driving them nuts too. However , Samsung is working on these defects and  there should be a an update in the next few weeks. 

Journeyman

Well, after doing the reset, reinstalling some of the updates, etc., I must say the phone is performing much better than it was.  The camera issue was resolved but I turned auto rotate off completely because I was tired of dealing with its issues.  Overall, I'm feeling better about the phone and OS.  I still prefer the phone the way it was when I first bought it but hey, it is what it is.  Bottom line is it's performing better after the reset.  Thanks

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat