cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint ID for Epic

Wizard

Sprint ID for Epic

Sprint ID functionality will be made available to Samsung Epic devices as part of the EC05 software update. Prior to using Sprint ID,

read more about it...

Sprint ID Support includes information such as choosing and downloading a pack, using a pack, switching between packs,

deleting applications from a pack, deleting a pack, and general troubleshooting tips. 

- Sprint ID space includes customer's comments/discussions regarding their experience with Sprint ID

and often times tips and tricks they've discovered. 

- Information specific to the Epic upgrade: 

• As part of the EC05 software update, a Sprint ID icon will be added to the Home Screen and the Applications   

menu. The Sprint ID packs themselves are not downloaded as part of the update.  Clicking on the Sprint ID     

icon will initiate the Sprint ID launcher, allowing you to choose and download Sprint ID packs. 

• If you choose not to use Sprint ID, simply do not click on the Sprint ID icon.  The icon can be moved from

the Home screen to another screen, however, it cannot be permanently removed.  

• My ID and Samsung are empty ID packs that are standard in Sprint ID for the Epic. These packs do not contain   

pre-loaded applications, widgets, or ringtones, but are useful for those who want to customize their device.   

These packs will be loaded to your device along with any other ID pack. These packs cannot later be removed     

from your device like other ID packs. 

• If after downloading a Sprint ID pack, you want to revert back to the Samsung interface, click on the

Sprint ID icon, and choose the 'Samsung' pack. If wallpapers and ringtones weren't pre-selected, they

may need to be reset. 

29 REPLIES 29
Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint ID for Epic

Is there a general overview as to what it does?

Master

Sprint ID for Epic

The Sprint ID app/capability only takes up ~500kb when no ID packs are installed. If you choose to try an ID pack and instead decide to go back to the TouchWiz interface it had previously, simply choose the samsung ID instead.

Sprint ID has been covered in the Community several times before. In a nutshell the easiest way to think about it is a good place to start customizing your phone. They are preselected groups of applications, widgets, backgrounds, etc. that are themes around some idea (Yahoo, HSN, Sprint, MTV, etc. have ID packs that are themed around them). Schools and businesses can also use Sprint ID to generate a pre-built selection of applications for students or employees. It extends standard Android to 5 home screens (from 3, TouchWiz allows up to 7). Unlike TouchWiz or HTC Sense however, it doesn't overtly change the primary look of the Android interface. You still have the basic three buttons at the bottom; phone, apps, and browser.

Wizard

Sprint ID for Epic

I suppose this is good for some people, but I don't really see the need for it.  What I want doesn't fit into a single theme, and I have no desire to swap around between multiple profiles.  I know I don't have to use it, and I don't intend to.  However, I kind of wish, as I'm sure others do, that some of these customizations Sprint introduces would be optional downloads rather than baked into the ROM and forced on us.  Then people who want them can get them, and people who don't won't have to deal with more apps they won't use and can't uninstall being stuck on the phone.

Also, I'd like a clarification of the first post's statement that "the icon can be moved from the Home screen to another screen, however, it cannot be permanently removed."  Is Sprint seriously saying that I can't delete a shortcut icon from my home screen?  If they really just mean that I can't delete Sprint ID because it's embedded in the ROM, I understand that.  But I see no reason for a permanent home screen icon.  Also, where is this icon created initially?  I use a third-party launcher, and I think there are at least two others on the phone (stock and TouchWiz).  How does the update decide where to put the icon?  Hopefully it's not going to touch my third-party app settings.

Journeyman

Re: Sprint ID for Epic

If rumours are true, i hear Sprint/Samsung integretated "Carrier IQ" into the EC05 update. with that being said, Sprint will basically have a keylogger installed on our mobile devices and have the ability to see every action performed on our phones (msg sent/received, # we call/text, apps we run, and basically every touch of the screen) Why would Sprint ask to have such a thing implemented into the Android OS update. This seems to maybe be why Spring/Samsung took so long to update the Epic to Froyo because, as I have read, Carrier IQ is deeply integraded into the OS. Individual Devs have had trouble removing the Carrier IQ software in custom ROMS due to the fact that their so deeply integraded as i pointed out before. Disabling the software breaks the boot cycle on the Epic, so Sprint/Samsung went thru alot of trouble just to insert such software into the OS. but again, why? Does Sprint not trust its customers? what ever happened to our privacy?

Journeyman

Sprint ID for Epic

^^ sorry if it looked like i went off topic, but i merely mentioned that because many believed that Sprint ID was the "keylogging" software n didnt know about Carrier IQ. so in a way, my above concern still relates to the Sprint ID topic.

Journeyman

Personally I think the ID software should be a market download and not integrated but, It does look pretty cool for the casual user.

For anyone wanting more info on Sprint ID I found this.  http://support.sprint.com/ria/pages/index.jsp?ms=SprintID&id16=sprint%20id#/all

Master

Sprint ID for Epic

Ceelos509 wrote:

If rumours are true, i hear Sprint/Samsung integretated "Carrier IQ" into the EC05 update. with that being said, Sprint will basically have a keylogger installed on our mobile devices and have the ability to see every action performed on our phones (msg sent/received, 3 we call/text, apps we run, and basically every touch of the screen) Why would Sprint ask to have such a thing implemented into the Android OS update. This seems to maybe be why Spring/Samsung took so long to update the Epic to Froyo because, as I have read, Carrier IQ is deeply integraded into the OS. Individual Devs have had trouble removing the Carrier IQ software in custom ROMS due to the fact that their so deeply integraded as i pointed out before. Disabling the software breaks the boot cycle on the Epic, so Sprint/Samsung went thru alot of trouble just to insert such software into the OS. but again, why? Does Sprint not trust its customers? what ever happened to our privacy?

Carrier IQ is meant to help Sprint and Samsung understand how customers are using their phones. Most customers will not answer surverys, etc. so it lets Sprint and Samsung see what people are using the phone for to help with plans for future devices and features. Consumer surveys are an inefficient means of gaining real world usage and patterns.

If you are reading anything more into it, then you are seeing a conspiracy where there is none. In case you never knew... Everything you do on the network is logged somewhere anyway (how else can law enforcement subpoena records?), a phone-based app is not needed to track things like who you call or what you text. Carrier IQ is meant to track the things the network can't see, like what types of apps people use, how many things they tend to do at a time (multitasking different apps), etc.

If you are worried about privacy, I would be much more worried about a Facebook or Google account personally. Google knows just about everything (they were even tracking open WiFi networks with their Street View cars), and Facebook has probably the worst track record for privacy of any company in history.

Journeyman

Sprint ID for Epic

Will the data collected be anonymous or will it be traced back exactly to every user? I understand what the company is trying to accomplish, but I am just asking because I, like many people, like my privacy. I sure hope this software helps Samsung/Sprint with future devices, apps, features, etc. but i just hope it doesnt come to the cost of our privacy. I, like many users, have nothing to hide on my phone. just the fact that someone has access to even a bit of my privacy makes me a bit uneasy.

Journeyman

Honestly, this Sprint ID stuff is just junk. Sprint is just trying to make a Linux based device, which should be open and customizable as Hell, more proprietary so they have more control. Now, while it does help out those who are more technilogically illiterate(or so it seems that the purpose of Sprint ID is to do just that), it should be an optional download/install etc. Not something forced upon users.

In response to Ceelos509, while that is very likely(and what is probably going on), I doubt that Sprint would disguise it so poorly. Still, it seems like Sprint ID is just another one of those undeletable things used to keep us users, who want a device that is fully "open", "in-check". I will now leave you with this image

my_mog20.jpg

Lawl 

Journeyman

http://www.androidhelpers.com/index.php?page=sprintspy.

Here's the source of where some of my first Carrier IQ concers came from

Journeyman

Sorry, I'm not sure if that link was correct n I was unable to edit it on my mobile device.

I have to get home n edit it on my PC, unless a moderator would be gnerous enough to edit it for me

http://forum.androidcentral.com/sprint-epic-4g/66282-carrier-iq-real-does-anyone-care.html

There's the link

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat