cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint issuing credits for botched 2.2 updates

Journeyman

One of our Epics updated to 2.2 the other day and promptly lost the ability to see any and all Google calendars associated with the account. Sprint tech support told me this was a known issue with the update, and the only workaround was to wipe the device back to factory state and reinstall all apps and resync contacts. I really don't want to have to reinstall everything, and re-set everything back up, so I'm going to wait for the fix to come through.

I asked Sprint to credit back to me the extra $10 per month that they are charging for premium data service, since not be able to sync your calendar just doesn't seem very premium to me. Sprint agreed to keep crediting this charge back to me each month until the problem is fixed.

FYI, I didn't even need to speak to a supervisor to get this... I had to ask to speak to one, but when the original rep came back on the line she informed me they would be making the credit.

Oh, and one other rant. I hate that I have to pay this $10 fee anyway because whenever I have tried to have 4G turned on, it works for a while then invariably just stops communicating with the servers. The only data that works reliably on my device is 3G, so I've come to just leave 4G off all the time. So why do I have to pay for it?

26 REPLIES 26
Journeyman

My Gmail calendar events didn't sync up either after the update.  I did find a fix for it though.  After the update, my epic must have made me "unavailable" for all the calendar events.  Once I went into gmail and looked at my calendar on my computer, I clicked on each event and made me available again and all my events showed up on my epic. 

Journeyman

Sprint is such a joke.  My Epic is all screwed up after the update.  I can't play any youtube videos, can't record video, programs freeze and force quit randomly, pictures won't show on my contacts, etc.  I'm in Philly and I can't a 4G signal anywhere. 10$ extra a month for this? I'm a filing a complaint with the Better Buisness Bureau and I suggest you all do the same.  I want all this PREMIUM DATA FEE refunded.  I worst part is, you know you take it to Sprint Repair Center to fix it either, because they're useless as well. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Sprint issuing credits for botched 2.2 updates

I'll never understand why there is this community of people that are so upset with paying 10 extra dollars a month.  my god you people sound so greedy and cheap.  Sprint already offers some of the best prices in the business.  10 bucks... a minimum wage worker makes that in 2 hours of work.  You've already bought a 600 dollar phone(or for 250) and are paying most likely 69 a month for service and you are going to bitch about ten little dollars?  Ten dollars over the coarse of 2 years adds up to less than the cost of the 250 dollar phone you're using!  If 10 dollars is that important to you then it sounds like you should have not bought a 250 dollar phone.  You can fork over 250 for a phone in a  second but not 10 a month for the best service in the industry?  God these 10 dollar people make me mad.

You people act you are getting ripped off with the 10 extra dollars.

Journeyman

Well said!

Journeyman

I dunno. Maybe it works for you. But if something doesn't work, I don't think I should have to pay for it. And Sprint apparently agreed with me. When it starts working, I'll happily pay for it. Simple as that.

Journeyman

When did the 2.2 Update come out? Just got my phone yesterday and cannot play YouTube videos. Everything else I've tried seems to work okay, just not YouTube or other 'flash' related videos.

EEPMATT4765 wrote:

Oh, and one other rant. I hate that I have to pay this $10 fee anyway because whenever I have tried to have 4G turned on, it works for a while then invariably just stops communicating with the servers. The only data that works reliably on my device is 3G, so I've come to just leave 4G off all the time. So why do I have to pay for it?

The fee is no longer 4G phones only. It is for any smart phone (or will be shortly...I don't remember when this was to take effect). So it doesn't matter if your 4G doesn't work or you don't have 4G coverage...or even if your phone doesn't have 4G. If you have a smart phone, you pay $10 extra. The fee has always been called a "Premium Data Fee", never a "4G Fee".

Journeyman

It also depends on your location. I know this fee seems unnecessary but it's part of the plan. It's not like a Family Fitness Center's "pay as you go".

Maybe you can find out from them when are they going to complete the 4G service in your area so you can have a constant connection.

Journeyman

Regardless of what they say the fee is for it is B.S.  The phone doesn't work the way it's supposed to so I want my money back.  It's that simple.  All these extra fees are just a slap in the face.  I wanted the best phone on the market, which is why I bought the Epic and now after this "update", nothing works right.  Since Sprint controls the OTA updates, they are responsible for screwing up my phone.  You would think they would sent you a courtesy email or phone call explaining they screwed up. But, no, I have to read about it on Engaget that Sprint screwed up everyone's Epic with a bad update.  Now they're going to announce all these new phones, EVO 3D , Nexus 4G, etc and they're going to try ignore everyone with screwed up Epics, after all we're in 2 yr contracts.  That's not going to fly with me.  I'm getting my money back.

Journeyman

Agreed.  This was functionality promised and not delivered upon.   I was never even able to get the OTA upgrade, guess that is my "reward" for being a "primiere" customer.

That's quite the generalization to say the update screwed up everyones phones. I would say that is far from reality. The only major issue with the update was caused by the OTA update that didn't allow apps to see the SD card and was the reason for the update being pulled. There are fixes for all the big issues found and the remaining problems are minor. My phone has been running much better since the update and I think you will find a lot of others feel the same way. I installed the update manually from Samsungs web site.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat