cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint issuing credits for botched 2.2 updates

Journeyman

If the update wasn't botched, then the way Sprint handled it was. When my phone updated, it lost all ability to sync with or even see Google calendars. I called in to Sprint and they told me it was a known issue and the only way to resolve it was wipe the entire device and re-set everything up from scratch. Thankfully, I did not have the time to do that, so I held off. I posted this thread, and finally got around to calling sprint back yesterday, having set aside an hour for the wipe/re-set up. Turns out, the fix was as simple as clearing the application data in the settings menu! I'm mostly delighted, since the fix was so simple. I'm partially pissed off that a Sprint rep almost had me wipe the entire phone to fix the problem. Either way, something is really wrong here.

How did you download the update from Samsung's web site?

Re: Sprint issuing credits for botched 2.2 updates

The fix for the calendar problem...as well as other issues caused by the update have been posted on Sprint's site on the page about the update. I'm posting from my phone right now so can't provide a link. You were probably told to wipe the phone because that is the easiest thing to do from a support standpoint and at the time you called the fix may not have been widely known yet.

On the day the OTA update started, the update files were posted on the Samsung website in the support section for the phone. They were recently removed though. The files can still be found on various forums though.

Had Samsung done the update to the Epic like the Moment, all these problems wouldn't have happened. With the Moment the only choice for updates was to download the update and install from a PC. The updates completely wiped the phone...and had that been done with the Epic, the problems caused by the OTA update wouldn't have happened.

Here are fixes to common issues after the update:

http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/63922

Message was edited by: JKNUTSON74 - Added link to fixes to 2.2 issues

Journeyman

It is just not fair to be charged for something you don't get.  They'd better increase the price.  But charging for something they don't deliver... yes, it is upsetting.  And yes, I am cheap.

ragrillo wrote:

It is just not fair to be charged for something you don't get.  They'd better increase the price.  But charging for something they don't deliver... yes, it is upsetting.  And yes, I am cheap.

If you have a smartphone it's a $10 fee for the data usage that goes along with it. It's $10...for ALL smartphones regardless if they are 4G capable or not. I honestly don't see what all the complaining is about...it's not like they surprise you with the fee...you are told about it up front because it's an add-on. If you don't like it, get a phone that doesn't require it. Even with the $10 fee I still pay far less on Sprint for more features than I would on another carrier.

Journeyman

I second that, well said Sir. I didn't seem to understand but I feel better now. I remember when Vision first came out it was the same thing $10 xtra a month and still to this day I think I'm still that Hot stinky poo poo on the streets

Journeyman

I agree my $69.99 plan turns into a $130.00 plus plan but I pay it because they (sprint) usually can deliver.

My boyfriend and i have the same phone and we both were told we had to wipe our phones to factory settings and I did can my contacts and photos back most of my contacts come back incomplete. I also had to start from scratchnon my apps and ringtones that takes alot of time!!!!!! Yes I think we should be credited for the hassle and inconvieance

Journeyman

As very well expressed by another customer:

"It is the principle that Sprint is marketing one thing and then doing another. They tell us, "Simply Everything" and then when we step up to purchase the Evo, the story changes into, "Simply Everything...plus $10."

That's deceptive behavior.

Again, I don't think that charging more is necessarily wrong. It's the manner in which it was advertised, and how Sprint tries to justify tacking on an additional $10 outside of "Simply Everything" (plus an additional $30 for hotspot!). Because then it makes consumers like me think, "Well then, what's the next thing Sprint will come up with that my 'Simply Everything' plan won't cover?" I think it would've been more palatable had they just raised the price of the Simply Everything plan and kept everything included. It then stays in line with their marketing concept of Simply Everything."

They have a plan that offers unlimited data.  They implement the extra $10 when they launch the 4G. Only two phones required them: EVO and Epic.  The excuse was that the $10 covered the 4G.  3G was part of the plan all along. Well, you have a better chance of getting hit by a lightning than getting 4G coverage.  And suddenly is not 4G anymore, but basically getting data is "Premium data".  As I said, just increase the price and remain true to your promise.  But I don't try to play with your customers.

Journeyman

KREE123 wrote:

I'll never understand why there is this community of people that are so upset with paying 10 extra dollars a month.  my god you people sound so greedy and cheap.  Sprint already offers some of the best prices in the business.  10 bucks... a minimum wage worker makes that in 2 hours of work.  You've already bought a 600 dollar phone(or for 250) and are paying most likely 69 a month for service and you are going to ***** about ten little dollars?  Ten dollars over the coarse of 2 years adds up to less than the cost of the 250 dollar phone you're using!  If 10 dollars is that important to you then it sounds like you should have not bought a 250 dollar phone.  You can fork over 250 for a phone in a  second but not 10 a month for the best service in the industry?  God these 10 dollar people make me mad.

You people act you are getting ripped off with the 10 extra dollars.

I agree 2000% If you cant afford to pay $10 a month for the data fee, you shouldnt be buying a smartphone period. I have been with Sprint fpr 12 years and I will say this. I have had my ups and downs with Sprint but even I cant deny that the phones, SERVICE and the pricing of the plans is pretty much the best in the business. Its why I have been with them so long. But when you think about it, the people who likely complain about this fee more than likely feel they should be getting the phone AND the service for free anyway.

Journeyman

SANDORDETROIT wrote:

Regardless of what they say the fee is for it is B.S.  The phone doesn't work the way it's supposed to so I want my money back.  It's that simple.  All these extra fees are just a slap in the face.  I wanted the best phone on the market, which is why I bought the Epic and now after this "update", nothing works right.  Since Sprint controls the OTA updates, they are responsible for screwing up my phone.  You would think they would sent you a courtesy email or phone call explaining they screwed up. But, no, I have to read about it on Engaget that Sprint screwed up everyone's Epic with a bad update.  Now they're going to announce all these new phones, EVO 3D , Nexus 4G, etc and they're going to try ignore everyone with screwed up Epics, after all we're in 2 yr contracts.  That's not going to fly with me.  I'm getting my money back.

Complain, get a nice credit for the inconvienience and keep it moving.

Journeyman

Even better said. I agree, why pay for something you are not getting?

Highlighted
Journeyman

If there were no big problems with the update then why did they stop the OTA update? 

Journeyman

VOBGUY1 wrote:

If there were no big problems with the update then why did they stop the OTA update? 

The few people that had some problems Had Really BIG Mouths?

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat