cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stuck on DG17 - when / how will I get the EC05 Froyo Upgrade

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have been stuck on the DG17 build of Eclair since I purchased my Epic 4g in September.  I have not received OTA upgrade notifications for any of the other Eclair builds (DG27, DI07, DI18).

I'm trying to get a definitive answer from someone (hopefully someone at Sprint) about whether I will receive the EC05 Froyo Upgrade OTA, and I've had no luck.  Can someone let me know whether I will receive it this week along with everyone else?  If not, I'd like someone to explain to me the exact steps I'll need to take to upgrade, and whether these steps will wipe my phone or not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance...

Tags (4)
10 REPLIES 10
Journeyman

Hi arice67.

I think I read that it is recommended you take your phone into a Sprint store if you have something prior to SSmiley Very Happy700.05S.DI18. 

I'm sorry I don't have the link, but I believe you will need to get your phone updated before EC05 will apply.

I don't work for Sprint, I've just been trying to follow this as closely as I have time for.

Taking it to a Sprint store would be the safest thing to do, if you can.

HTH,

M

Wizard

Re: Stuck on DG17 - when / how will I get the EC05 Froyo Upgrade

As your device is on DG17, the update won't be pushed to you.  Only devices on DI18 or EB13 will receive the update to EC05.  

For the OTA (over the air) updates, your device must be on the most current previous release.  These updates are pushed from Google's servers and are only available via OTA. Unfortunately, the stores don't have a way to update devices on older versions either.  However, there are several others in the same situation as you so this has already been reported as a problem.  We are working on an update that will be made available to those who are several releases behind.  I don't have a date, but will definitely post an update to the Samsung Epic Maintenance Release blog when it's released. 

Journeyman

I appreciate your rapid response, dshoem01.  However, I hope you understand that this is not an acceptable answer for me.  I purchased an Epic that had the incorrect Andriod version through no fault of my own, and now I'm told not only that I'll have to wait an additional amount of time for my Froyo upgrade, but that there is no ETA for this solution.

Please let me know what I need to do to get a better answer to this question.  Your prompt response is appreciated.

Journeyman

You can download the EB13 upgrade file that was on the Samsung site here

This will reset your phone, so make sure you have your contacts and calendar linked to your google account so you can pull it back in after the update.  Also, there is an app you can install called Appbackup that will backup all your apps to your SD card.  This update will NOT erase data on your SD card.  This is how I updated my phone from DI18 and I had no issues whatsoever.

Good luck!

Wizard

Just today, I'm seeing reports where older releases are receiving updates that will bring them to the current release.  I'm validating with the device manager and will let you know as soon as I hear back from him.  This would be great news!

Journeyman

dshoem01:

Thank you for the response - I appreciate it!  As of now, I have not yet received the EC05 update, but I will wait to hear from you about whether this is true for DG17 as well as other older builds.

Am I right to assume that, were I to be able to receive the OTA update on DG17, I would be notified about it by the end of the day today?  I know the initial press release stated that all upgrades should occur by March 24th...

Thanks...

Wizard

This is true for all builds except for the leaked DK28 version that some applied to their devices. I've updated the blog and created a new post for this subject here

I dont' have a definite answer for you on when you'll receive EC05.  My guess would be by midnight CST tonight. however, that's a lot of devices to update in one day.  Those on older releases may take longer to get EC05 if they've queued those devices differently on the servers.  Please post back when you have received it. 

Thanks!

Journeyman

I had the DG17 model but I took it to sprint and made them order me a up to date model which was the DI18 and receive the update the next day. Im sure if the old models get the up dates it won't be till the weekend carrying over to next week.

Journeyman

dshoem01:

Just wanted to let you know I just received my update, and have had no problems installing.  The only problem that I'm having is that GPS doesn't seem to lock anymore.  Any insight there?

Also, I just wanted to say thank you so much for your rapid and factual responses...  It's been very difficult for me to get consistent answers, and I appreciate that your answers all seemed to be right on.

Thanks!

Journeyman

Here's a copy of the post #39:

http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/276342?tstart=0#276342

"My Epic has been on DG17 since September when I bought it.  I've spent hours on the phone and in Sprint repair centers about this and all I ever got were completely uninformed, ridiculous answers.  So as I was making the arrangements this morning to send the phone back for "repair", the clerk asked for the DEC number.  I pulled out the battery and read off the number.  When I put the battery back in and rebooted, a message appeared saying "System Update Available".  Ten minutes later I was on EC05!!!

Bottom line, to those of you on DG17 - try hard-rebooting your phone by pulling the battery for 20 seconds and see if the update becomes available.

Good Luck!!"

Hopefully, this will help someone in the same situation

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat