cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Epic update is ONLY being distributed OTA! (No Message Below)

Highlighted
Journeyman

The Epic update is ONLY being distributed OTA! (No Message Below)

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Journeyman

soon as one dev has it on their device that will change within seconds...

Highlighted
Journeyman

I don't think that is what the OP means.  When EB13 was released, Samsung put a .exe file on their website which updated the phone.  This was a EXTREMELY clean and effective update.  The rumor is that Sprint is not allowing Samsung to post that file right now, which is a real shame.

Highlighted
Wizard

Agreed.  I used the update.zip file in February to get EB13, and while I've never done an OTA update, I have to think that it was as quick as, and almost as simple as, an OTA push.  I hope they'll reconsider making the update.zip file available.  It would probably take some of the load off the servers pushing the OTA and help get things done quicker.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Still not talking about the update.zip file.

I am referring to the really nice .exe EB13 installer that Samsung put on their website last month.  Was a fantastic updater.  The rumor is that Sprint is holding Samsung back from posting it.  I e-mailed Samsung twice about it, and they couldn't even give me the courtesy of a response.  I shouldn't be shocked based on their track record with the Epic.

Highlighted
Journeyman

i dont understand why only OTA. i tried to follow the instruction given on the Sprint site, for updation ANdorid. its not working. i am on EB13 so that may be the case.

they should have provided link to download and update it through PC.

Highlighted
Wizard

Samsung released both an update.zip and the Windows executable installer.  I think the executable wipes the phone, and that could be part of the reason they don't want to release it.  The update.zip didn't wipe my phone when I used it.  Either way, we're both talking about a non-OTA way of updating the phone, and think it would be good if Sprint/Samsung released it.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat