cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer files to and from SD Card

Journeyman

After the update end of March tried to use the pone connected to the computer to move files. Computer says Device is not recognized. Took phone to work yesterday and was able to access the SD card so the problem is with my computer. Anyone know of a fix? I downloaded the driver from Samsung. Computer in Device manager says the driver is up to date. Plugged into more than one USB site and still get unrecognized device error.

9 REPLIES 9
Master

What is operating system of your home PC?  A quick fix would be to buy a USB media card reader and just take the card out of your device, insert it in USB media reader and copy/transfer as needed.  You can buy one of these for under $5 on eBay - By using this you take the software out of the equation - fast and efficient.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2XMICRO-SD-SDHC-CARD-USB-READER-1GB-2GB-4GB-8GB-16G-/190488539766?pt=PCC_Drives_...

Hope this helps,

Larry

Sprint Advanced Tech Support

Did this help? If so please rate this post and mark your post as answered so others can refer to it quickly for solutions

Journeyman

Have the media card reader and used that after the first week having the phone. Just a pain to have to take the cover then the back off to remove it. Just handier to move when phone is connected. Have Vista on home computer and just did a reformat a couple months ago.Was having alot of trouble with software conflicts so have been real careful what I add to it. Everything on computer working great except not recognizing the phone. Have XP pro running at work. The Vista did recognize it when I first got the phone. I read the warning about moving large files and sure 'nuff after moving music files, it no longer worked so I had to remove the SD card and use a USB reader. Computer at work would not read the card while in the phone either. When I read that this latest update fixed it, I wanted to try it since I want to move some pictures off and more music on, but it will not detect the card, but as I said it does at work. Any help would be appreciated.

BTW, battery life completely tanked with the update. Soometimes I needed to recharge afte a few hours and I also had the problem of it not recharging when I was also using the phone. I did what someone suggested and went to settings>applications>Running Services and colosed out everything. Today phone has had moderate use and 13 hours since unplugging I still have 1/2 battery. I am happy about that!

Journeyman

There's 3 things I think you could do to fix this. I had trouble communicating with my phone a while back & went onto Samsungs' website & downloaded the latest USB drivers for the phone, and since then I've had no problems. You could also use a card reader & just transfer any files onto or off from your SD card. Also, if you have a Bluetooth USB dongle for your PC, you could transfer the files via Bluetooth to & from your phone. Just some suggestions. I hope this helps.

Journeyman

I did downoad the driver from Samsung and in device manager says driver is up to date. At work I was able to just plug it in and choose Mass Storage in the phone then connect USB and the drive was visiable. Just doesn't work on home computer. With Phone plugged in on home computer device manager shows USB device error and says unable to load driver.

Only thing I have not tried yet is buy a bluetooth for the computer. Don't think it has one.

Journeyman

Are you using the same cable at work and at home or different cables?

Journeyman

Re: Transfer files to and from SD Card

Hummmmmm.

Different cables......guess I need to bring home the cable from work.

The one I am using at home does charge the phone though.

I found another cable at the house and plugged it in. At first it said device not recognized.. I unplugged it and turned on debugging. Then it successfully auto installed software but when I went to My Computer, the drive was not there. Don't know what else to do. Pretty sure now it is my computer, but there are no errors in the device manager.

Journeyman

Yes, sometimes the cables make a difference. I use the one that came with the phone. However, you can try a different USB port also. For some reason it makes a difference too.

Let me know how it goes.

Journeyman

Well.....what ya know!

Plugged cable into a front port I never use and it worked. The Auto Play came right on as soon as I tapped the phone to connect to USB!

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

Journeyman

Awesome! I'm glad you got that worked out 

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat