cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble connecting Samsung Epic 4g to computer solution.

Journeyman

After many hours researching and even an hour with a tech over the phone, I went to my Sprint store to find out why I was having trouble. And FINALLY they were able to figure it out within seconds. If you are having never ending trouble connecting your Epic to your computer for file sharing, make sure the debugging is disabled of course. THEN tap on the phone icon as if you're going to dial a number. Type in ##8778# it brings up your phone utilities. Under the USB section, make sure your phone is on PDA mode NOT Modem mode. Once you've selected that, you should have no problem connecting to your computer. I didn't find this info ANYWHERE on the net and even tech support didn't check for that. Luckily the tech at the store found that immediately. I hope this helps everyone who may still be having trouble. And thanks to the young lady at the store for her help!

14 REPLIES
Master

Thanks for sharing the information.

Journeyman

I am SO frustrated... I just tried this and it still does not work. My phone was fine when I bought it.. In March I think ... then now after the Froyo update I can not get my computer to recognize it.. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?

Wizard

Hello karmasleo1, sorry to hear about the problem. let's make sure the basics have been covered, have you made sure that USB debugging is unchecked in settings>applications>development? are you using a PC or mac? which version of windows or mac os, have you tried on more than one computer, have you installed any applications to computer or phone that interact with USB? and have you already powered the phone off/on?

Journeyman

yes, PC, XP, yes, I have downloaded and installed the Samsung driver for the phone..and yes.. still nothing My computer will recgonize it as a unrecognizable device.

What is frustrating is prior to the Froyo update I had NO issues... and unfortuately it had been awhile( 2-3 months ) since I had added any music.... any help would be wonderful.. I love this phone except for this.

Wizard

Re: Trouble connecting Samsung Epic 4g to computer solution.

I would start by removing the "samsung driver" for the phone, the phone uses windows' standard mass storage drivers while the SD card is mounted to windows XP and higher. if you are seeing USB device not recognized that could be an indication that the cable is faulty, a driver is associated incorrectly, or the device could be to blame. have you already attempted a factory reset? When you updated the phone did you do it in store, over the air, or another method?

Journeyman

No to the factory reset and the update was not instore.. just received a text ( I think) that is would be updating... Would your suggestion be trying the reset before the cable?? And I will lose all pics and music won't I?

Wizard

you should not lose any pictures/SD card contents with the Factory restore, but you should remove the SD card from phone before resetting (and if you have a card reader on the PC you may as well backup the contents of SD to the PC). if you have a friend/acquaintance, or family member that has a Micro USB cable and a PC you may want to ask if they would mind if you try connecting, if that's not an option then I personally would try the reset (with SD card out) and if you still have a problem then I would take the phone and cable into a service center for them to test.

Journeyman

I think that is what I will do.. the cables are only about 15.00.. thank you for your help.  One more quick question... Does your pics on your phone auto save to the SD Card?

Wizard

Yes, pictures you have taken will auto save to SD card, however pictures sent to you in messaging you will have to hold on the picture and select save to SD.

Community News

Community News

Find out whats happening on the bridge, we'll share new features and fun on the community as well as exciting news from the mothership...read more.