cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB mounting inconsistent from one computer to another

Journeyman

My Epic 4g mounts fine on a older MacBook Pro (leopard) and an older Win XP machine but won't mount on a new MacBook Pro (snow leopard) that I use for work - the latter machine hasn't had any other weirdness with its USB ports. It's unfortunate that it won't mount on my work machine, I was going to use that to learn about android programming and wanted to be able to install the apps I built onto the Epic.

I've seen other reports of people having problems mounting their Epic 4g's on Macs. Is this a known issue to Sprint and Samsung?

8 REPLIES 8
Wizard

Re: USB mounting inconsistent from one computer to another

Not a known issue that I've heard of. I would make sure your phone software is up to date Menu > Settings > System Updates. Also try toggling USB debugging mode Menu> Settings > Applications > Development

Journeyman

USB mounting for the Epic is problematic. Besides needing the right driver, it apparently matters how long the USB cable is, or whether there's an intermediate device between the phone and the computer.

For example, I have a monitor that has two USB ports on one side. You plug a single USB cable coming off the monitor into the back of your PC and it turns one hard-to-reach USB port into two ports that are easily accessed. I was able to use this setup to connect my camera, my old Samsung Moment and even a thumbdrive, no problem. However, when I connect the Epic to the same monitor USB port, I would get this weird behavior where, over the course of a 5-7-second interval, the USB connection would be established, fail, get re-established, fail again, etc.

If I take the exact same Epic and the exact same cord and connect them directly into the USB port on the front of my PC, the connection works and stays connected reliably.

I think Samsung messed up. Creating a phone that is LESS flexible when connecting via USB than the previous generation of phones is an Epic FAIL. I could hope that the 2.2 update would fix this problem, but why assume at this point that we're *ever* going to get 2.2 on the Epic?

Wizard

See this thread for information on USB mounting: http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/238574#238574

Journeyman

@dshoem01 thanks but the sequence of steps in the post you linked *does not work* for me. I've tried the various permutations of turning USB debugging on/off, different USB ports (the MacBook Pro has two) and swapping cables (I have the factory cable and another from a verizon mifi device). With USB debugging on and the factory cable, the Epic is sometimes recognized as a modem (a "SAMSUNG_Android SPH-D700", heh) and Mac OS prompts me to set up networking with it. Without USB Debugging, I'm prompted to choose from "Charging / Mass Storage / Tethered Mode" -- however, selecting "Mass Storage" does not make the phone visible as a mounted drive as it does on other computers. I don't have USB issues with any other device, only this handset.

So, now I'm wondering if I need to root the damned thing and install one of these Froyo ROMs running around. I've been waiting for Sprint and Samsung to release Froyo with the idea that my poor battery life and inconsistent USB connectivity will be fixed but that wait has been such an ongoing disappointment, I won't bother rehashing it.  The Epic 4g is turning into my most regretful technology purchase ever, the fact that I spent all that money on it, I'm only 6 months into the 2 year contract and it's subpar battery and USB functionality is just outrageous.  If I need to do Android development, I'll probably ask the folks I'm working with to just get me a droid incredible; Sprint and Samsung over hyped, over charged and under delivered on the Epic 4g.

Journeyman

I've had some mild success unmounting my sd card in SD card & phone storage in settings first, then connecting it to my Macbook. Of course the debuggin is on...

The phone shows up right away, but sometimes after I"ve transferred the files it gives me an error and I have to disconnect but at that point I don't care because I have my files.

Journeyman

I purchased a powered usb plug and I get better consistency. It is still having problems sometimes connecting,

I think the driver software needs a rewrite. It looks as though the unit loses its state connections which causes the

unit to timeout. Who is running support at sprint this is major? They have enough people at sprint to fix this problem from a hardware or software point of view.

Journeyman

My first phone lost ability to recognize USB at all, and sometimes failed to recogize when the power was plugged in as well.

I replaced that one with Sprint since I have insurance, and had intermittent success with the new one.  My constant USB charging of the phone due to poor battery life led to me shutting down my PC with the phone connected and charging.  Unfortunately, ever since then, it always comes up unknown device on any computer I have tried. 

The phone itself thinks it is in USB mode and brings up the proper window to choose Charging, Mount or Tethered; but all it can actually do is charge. 

In the Device manager on the computer it always shows as unknown device.

I have been hoping for an OTA update that might perhaps somehow fix this, since without USB I can't very easily install an update any other way than OTA. It is now almost a month after the promised date for an OTA update and it has been on hold for almost 3 weeks.

I dont have 6 hours of my life to go to Sprint twiceand wait like I did with the first one (3.5 hours to find out that yes, USB is not working right , them doing a reset and finding that yup, the USB was still not working right, and another 2.5 hours a few days later when my replacement came in, waiting for my turn with an available rep.) 

Journeyman

For anyone who is interested a little info on USB

http://pinouts.ru/Slots/USB_pinout.shtml

Epic USB Device drivers for Win XP/Vista/Windows 7 http://www.samsung.com/us/support/supportDownloadCenter.do?prd_ia_cd=N0000004&prd_mdl_cd=SPH-D700ZKA...

(Click on Software)

And my tip: Use as short of a cord as you can find. Preferably a cord under 24"long (yes it makes a difference)

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat