Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB tethering with Samsung Epic?

Go to solution
Journeyman

USB tethering with Samsung Epic?

How can I do USB data network tethering using my Samsung Epic 4G? I am running Windows 7 Professional on my laptop and installed the Samsung USB driver. When I plugged in the phone to a USB cable it installed the device driver successfully; I got a message "Samsung USB mWiMAX Adapter Ready to use". So it seems like that part worked.

I selected tethering mode on the phone and the "4G tethered mode" setting shows as enabled. When I plug in the USB cable the phone screen shows "Scanning", then "Connecting...", and finally "Disconnected".

What does that "Disconnected" message mean? Does that indicate it couldn't connect to the computer correctly, or that it couldn't connect to the 4G network? When I enable 4G just for regular use on the phone it seems to connect and work reliably.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Sprint Product Ambassador

Re: USB tethering with Samsung Epic?

Have you added the tethering / hotspot plan addon?

Without that, the network will not allow you to tether the phone either via USB or WiFi.

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee

View solution in original post

50 REPLIES 50
Highlighted
Sprint Product Ambassador

Have you added the tethering / hotspot plan addon?

Without that, the network will not allow you to tether the phone either via USB or WiFi.

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Journeyman

No I thought that plan add-on was just for WiFi. The description is kind of confusing because it doesn't say anything about USB. Here is what it your web site says for the "Sprint Mobile Hotspot" add-on:

Your phone can double as a 3G or 4G internet connection for your  laptop, game station or any Wi-Fi device. Connect to our 3G network  nationwide and our superfast 4G network in select cities.

Sharing the internet has never been easier – your  phone creates a regular Wi-Fi connection for any Wi-Fi capable computer  or wireless device to connect. Share unlimited data on our 3G/4G Sprint  network.

Recommend you update it to make that clear.

It would also be helpful if the phone would display a specific error message if tethering isn't enabled and you try to use it. The way it is now it just fails silently. That's really not helpful.

Highlighted
Journeyman

That would be really disappointing if you can't USB tether. My old phone, the HTC Touch Pro, could tether WIFI and USB over 3g without extra costs. I know there is the plan for up to 4 devices over 4g, but I, too, was under the impression this was only for WIFI. USB tether to your own computer shouldn't have to need an extra $30 - I'm already paying an extra $10 for "premium data."

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ya I was extremely disappointed by 5 sales people.  I was told that by just " Tethering " my Epic to my laptop I could get 3g and 4g speeds.  I called tech support last night and they said I have to download the " Hot Spot " application.  That totally defeated the purpose of why I purchased the Epic.  I didn't want to spend the $30.00 for Hotspot.  I have no need to have more than one device working at a time.

Sprint should clear that up with their sales people.  Everyone is under the impression that all you have to to do is connect via USB.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The Android Market is your friend. There are tethering apps that work for all phones.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The idea of marketing a wifi tethering application for $30 a month on a linux based platform is fundimentally flawed. If at best you could consider this a convience charge, but for the most part, Linux is simply not designed to be a restricted network OS. Those who are smart enough in it can simply transparent NAT the connection between the wifi interface and the cellular one and with the addition of DHCP, you've got yourself a fully functional AP. And worse off, many of the people who do understand this concept make easy to use apps through the market place that you can install with about 2-3 hours research for the hobby shoppist out there. What would be smarter is if Sprint jumped on board with the market place concept and developed these apps with the fixed price concept that so many others do. $30 is not unreasonable to ask for an app that simplifies the NATing process on the device, Especially if things like WPA2 are implemented in an easy to use and cross system compatible way. But with the $10 extra a month charge for data services, Sprint is already making the money for the increased bandwidth. I say drop the defunct marketing idea of the $30 a month wifi, release the app for a fixed price, and move on. And to think! If Sprint DID embrace the marketplace concept, they could even market to ... oh, I don't know... Verizon customers?

I say the $30 a month idea is an epic fail and fundimentally flawed.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just one Questen. How is replacing one servace provided for $60 a month for a better service that is only $30 a month a flawed decision. going from a 5GB card for $60 to unlimited build into you phone for $30, and all you have to do is tap into the data connection thats unlimited to your phone to do it? Sounds like a plan to me. I can understand why everyone wants free, however, if sprint gave everything away, they wouldn't be able to do it for long

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: YES YOU CAN(should) -> Re: USB tethering with Samsung Epic?

yhnqazwsx,

Well generally speaking, yes the $30 is better than the $60, and it's my understanding that 4g data card services are even $70? Plus wifi tethering the cards cant do (I know the mifi can, etc). Oh and I'm assuming you get the unlimited 3g with EVO/EPIC wifi tethering that you don't get with a data card.

Data cards are usually much better than phones, though I don't know if that has changed with the EVO/EPIC. They get better signal, can be put on a usb cable near your window, they dont rely on battery like your cellphone. With a data card you don't have to rely on your cellphone and not be able to use it - can you even make calls on it with wifi tethering to 3g/4g? It's been my experience the data cards have much better latency also.

Seems like I'm wasting my time trying to figure out this tethering. I give up.

Message was edited by: Indpendent07

Highlighted
Journeyman

$59.994G: Unlimited/3G: 5GB
(Roaming is limited to 300 MB)

Nope, even the 4G cards are 59.99. Yes, it is unlimited with the Evo and epic, where as 3G on the data cards is limited to 5GB before overages are incurred. As for tethering, its rather simple. there's an app called sprint hotspot. it enables the connection to the devices data output with the internal antenna allowing  data throughput from phone to computer. note the Hotspot feature must be enabled in order for this app to work.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I understand how to use the Sprint Hotspot app and that you have to pay $30 a month to use it. But, there is 3g and 4g USB tethering options that SHOULD work WITHOUT the $30 a month - remember, we all have that $10 PREMIUM DATA charge extra anyways. I know the 3g option you have to have a username and password. The 4g option isn't working, even after I finally figured out how to download and install the drivers. Well, as another posted, maybe you have to have the $30 extra to use 4g USB tethering, even though the $30 is for WIFI sharing with Sprint Hotspot.

Sprint Mobile Hotspot  $29.99 / mnth

"Your phone can double as a 3G or 4G internet connection for your  laptop, game station or any Wi-Fi device. Connect to our 3G network  nationwide and our superfast 4G network in select cities.

Sharing the internet has never been easier – your  phone creates a regular Wi-Fi connection for any Wi-Fi capable computer  or wireless device to connect. Share unlimited data on our 3G/4G Sprint  network."

Can a Sprint Rep. please gives us clarification on if you indeed  need $30 sharing to use the USB 4g tethering? If you do, as someone else  also said, it should be clearly stated in the $30 addon.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint artificially limits the Samsung Epic 4G so they can charge for tethering whether its Wifi and USB based. The easy way to do this is to "root" your phone and install one of the wireless tether apps out there. Plenty of people have done it and instructions are posted all over the internet. In fact, people have ported over the regular MobileAP app used on other Samsung Galaxy S phones that aren't locked down like Sprint's version. I'd link directly to the information but I'm certain this message will be censored even faster (hopefully you'll get an email copy of this before that happens). A word of caution:

1. While Sprint can't tell if you're using one of the wireless tether apps, they'll be able to tell if you use a ton of traffic and nail you that way.

2. As Sprint's CEO recently said, if too many people start using too much data then they'll bump the $10 4G fee even higher so be mindful of what you're doing.

3. Rooting your phone isn't hard but people can screw things up and I'm certain Sprint won't help you if this happens so be careful if you start experimenting with your phone.

Good luck.

Community News

Our Community is currently set to Read Only due the pandemic's affect on our staffing .
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat