Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB tethering with Samsung Epic?

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: USB tethering with Samsung Epic?

While phenominally articulated, your comment presents one flaw. While Sprint does charge for a service that others are offering for free, they charge for a Wi-fi service which is not what the other vendors offer & allows several devices to be connected while the other vendors only allow one. So, the question lies in user peference...Several devices with a possible slower connection or one device with a possible faster connection? Could Sprint offer a faster connection for each individual Wi-fi device than the 3rd party vendors could for one device via USB tethering? O_o Either way, it's no different than the Android Market or any market for that matter showcasing two products that more or less serve the same purpose when one is free & the other costs. Prime example, PhoneZoo & MyXer hosting ringtone for pay ads -_-

Highlighted
Journeyman

CEO can jump in the lake for all I care.

It cost 10 cents for a text message but cost phone carrier NOTHING. However, a internet only 4G internet service cost $40 a month. Majority of the people will not get a Sprint phone if they raise the 4G rate. It would be a marketing collision waiting to happen.

Remember! Just because you are first, doesn't give you right to monopolize people's expense.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@brettjderiso your an idiot,but not as big of an idiot as wasbakntyme ,

but your here arguing that it shouldnt be any of sprints busniess weateher you connect through a wire(usb cable)or if you connect via wifi,

well then if thats the case then it shouldnt be any of their busniess if you use the internt on you laptop screen, or on your smart phone screen,

its the same thing ,

your are paying for unlimited internet service,without the $30 fee

,but you bring up an very good example, but then totally fail in your explaination ,well actually my example is different, but it also involves a wifi wap router

,although my example is much much better and 1000X more revelant and acurate ,

here it is:

what sprint is doing is like what comcast and some other home internet service providers used to do when wifi first came out

,sprint is selling you unlimited internet service and then charging extra for how you use it ,or to be more specific,there charging ,or blatently ripping you off by charing you for something that you already own

,the wifi hotspot feature is not a service offered by sprint,there is no actual"service"involved,it is in fact a HARDWARE feature of the physical phone itself,the phone itself has the hardware capability of acting as a wifi hotspot

,there is no service that sprint is providing you that enables your phone to act as a wifi router, no service allows that to happen,except the for the unlimited 4g internet connection itself,which is already paid for and billed seperatly,and it is marketed as unlimited,so unlimited should mean unlimited,

this is like i said, very reminicint of comcast and what they tried to pull back in the day,i was one of the first people to go and buy a linksys wifi router ,its mine i paid for it, i own it,i also paid/pay for unlimited cable internet access ,but before, comcast would try to charge people for "wifi service"if they had a wifi router connected to their modem,even if the person was not renting the wifi router from comcrap and it was their own, they would charge you exactly the same fees as sombody who didnt own their own wifi router and was instead renting the wifi router from comcrap

,the fee was for rental of the wifi router but they still charged you for the rental(or tried to)and tried to mislabel it as a service,

even  if you didnt rent their router,but instead bought your own,

this is exactly the same thing as what sprint is trying to do here ,

and not only that but they are deliberatly trying to mislead the customers and misrepresent the services that they provide by further deliberatly mislabeling them ,and calling hotspot or wifi technolgy,"teathering",when it should be just called hotspot,

its very sneaky and its fraud,or atleast borderline fraudulent ,and bad marketing at best,

and no, brettjderiso im not concerened that they willl loose money by people actually using and getting what they are paying for in the first place ,instead of being ripped off for an extra 30$ fee,

but they(sprint) ought to be concerned that consumers dont wake up to the fact that their being grossly taken advantage of,

or they realy could have their bottom line affected,we are not all as stupid as the corporate sycophant sheep that posted on page 2 of this thread,wasbakntyme,

although he strikes me as a plant that is really just a sprint employee put here to help try and brainwash you to believe their corporate propaganda(its BS like,"its the same as stealing" line BS),or a corporate schill,

wake up people and just root your phone and install the app and refuse to pay this ridiculos fee,they cant really go up on rates because they need to remain competative in the marketplace and,they dont need the 30$ fee, they are just greedy and already grossly overcharging you and making  an obscene profit as it is without it,

just as comcrap was, and due to consumer feedback and complaints their practice of trying to charge customes of their isp services for using wifi routers that they already own ,is no longer in practice,

once they figure out we are not as dumb as they believe us to be, they will have to adjust their outrageous policies,TOS'S,and exorbitant fees to remain competative,and stay relevant ,please dont fall for this crap,

down with the dmca,superdmca,and coica(which they havent passed yet,thank god)

also remember that comcast is also lying to its customers and telling tham that their cable isp service is ulimited,they market it as unlimited,but then if you go over a certain mb limit,that they refuse to tell (they refuse to tell you what the limit is,because if anyone were to actyually disclose what the limit is ,or tell you or admit to any such limit,the they would be alot of legal trouble for false advertising)you waht that limit is or even to admit weather it exists or not,they cancel your service ,it is illegal,and its a dirty trich that use to get arround the law and to avoid treating their customers fairly,

it may not seem to relevant to everyone here ,but just remember these corporations and telecommunications companies always have the upperhand,and they will try every dirty rotten trick in the book to save a fration of a penny even,then have their lawyers and advertising and PR people spin it ,so its "legal"and so that everyone thinks that their the greatest and that their doing you some kinda favor,when in reality all they are doing is ripping you off and charging twice for something you already paid for and own already 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ever since mr. "corporate plant" started raising hell with me, accusing me of nothing less than theft, I opted to get out of this discussion other than to just monitor it. I maintain that I haven't and wasn't stealing anything. 

To your point about rooting the phone, I was told that if I root the phone it voids the warranty. And I guess I wouldn't care all that much except about 2 weeks ago, a few days after I got pushed down the Froyo update, my phone was mysteriously wiped clean, losing a lot of stuff that I would have liked to not lose (like voice mails from my kids).  My employer has the power to remotely wipe my phone because I was using the native e-mail application and thereby signing off on allowing them to wipe my phone remotely if they want - but they claim that they didn't do it.  I called Sprint and they claimed they didn't know either but said to bring the phone into a Sprint store.  I still think it wasn't a hardware failure that would have completely reset my phone to barebones Froyo.

So I don't know what to do, but I'm suddenly pretty disappointed with this phone in that I can no longer trust it not to lose my data.  I know if I root the phone I can also back up the entire device onto the SD card, too. But I'm thinking if it pulls this crap again, I might have to look for a new phone or a new carrier that won't sell me a phone that can just destroy my data without giving me a practical way of backing it up.

Highlighted
Journeyman

oh well if its your work phone and issued by your employer then wouldnt they pay the bill?

also if your concerned about loosing data im sure there is a good app, for hot sync with your pc that you could find,there must be a ton of them i would think, if you dont want to go through the bother of removing the sd card all the time

yea as far as voiding your warranty ,just dont drop your phone ,and not for nothin ,but for 30$ a month that your saving ,im sure you could get your phone insured through a 3rd party for much less than that ,like maybe 10 a month ,and have good insurance that replaces your phone no questions asked,

hey that might be a good busniess to start,insuring peoples phones,who want to root or jailbreak their phone and void there warranty

and yea screw that guy ,the geohot v apple iphone jailbreak case added an exception to the dmca for mobile devices,so yea it really vague ,and at worst all than can say you did is void you TOS,and cancel your contract

Highlighted
Journeyman

He would have to KNOWINGLY use the service without permission.  As he has demonstrated, his interpretation of the contract details is that he is allowed to use the service.  You are not very intelligent but quick with Google, so you likely do not understand this concept, but that is how the law works.  Google it if you don't believe me.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I think there are about 10 people in here who got tricked by Sprint into thinking their tethering would come without charge.  I had a calm and friendly chat with a representative and was able to get a $20 credit on my account because of this.  Not $20 a month...just $20.  I could have probably argued for more, but I was in one of those moods where I really wasn't fired up enough to try anything crazy.  ANYWAY...my point is that you all deserve at least the $20 credit that I received...which is a $200 loss for Sprint.  Hopefully many others who read this thread and do not post, but have been screwed over in the same way, do the same thing.  As a corporation, Sprint will respond to only one thing, and that is a loss of profit.  Call sprint and receive your $20 (or more) credit.  Show Sprint a loss of profit that will at least change their false advertising.

Highlighted
Journeyman

"I don't know what incompetent salesperson you spoke to, but your  inability to pay attention to details hardly amounts to "fraud" or a  "bait-and-switch" on Sprint's part."

So you admit that some of us were tricked by inept salespeople who mentioned the hotspot feature without mentioning the $30 charge (exactly what happened in my situation), and in the same breath blame our lack of knowledge on an inability to pay attention.  interesting...

Highlighted
Journeyman

"My employer has the power to remotely wipe my phone because I was using  the native e-mail application and thereby signing off on allowing them  to wipe my phone remotely if they want - but they claim that they didn't  do it"

off topic, but i think it's pretty clear that your employer did it.  there is no "error" that occurs in software that simply erases everything while leaving the operating system perfectly intact.  Your phone was wiped...purposely...and I imagine that the company you work for has a much higher probability of having a reason for doing it than your cell phone service provider could have.

Highlighted
Wizard

Eh, we should be able to tether to the phone (with USB) with no charge.  Tethering limits our time and use, because the phone only has one USB port.  To charge or to tether.  We should not be charged (or be forced to pay) to enjoy the luxury of bigger view screen, bigger keyboard, and kool laser mouse.  The data amount remains the same, when viewing/browsing on the phone or on the computer.  However, I can understand that tethering to a computer can quickly skyrocket data usage, because on a computer, a person can enable all Messengers to be logged on, multiple tabs opened in a browser, listening to a radio while browsing, playing games (such as WoW), etc, but the more resources (data usage) people use, the quicker the battery life drains on the phone thus the tethering limit time. 

Personally, and I believe this should be obvious, that tethering should be allowed with no added cost.  Sure, it is okay to market an app to make it quick and easy for a one time charge is fine, but monthly charge is outrageous. There are Pro's and Cons with tethering.  I believe it is fine to charge $30 monthly for WiFi wireless HotSpot for multiple computers to connect and use at the same time (and frequently), because the phone can remain charged with the available USB port (although, it may heat up the phone/battery).  But to charge a person to tether just one computer for a limited time for so much financial monthly cost is just...wrong.  It is theft on the corporate level and Sprint know it.

I remember getting my first phone with Sprint back in 2003 during college.  It was a phone that I decided to get at Best Buy with the assistance of an associate there helping me pick a phone that I can connect to my laptop for Internet.  There was no extra charge for tethering and all I had to pay was a one-time price of a CD installation package at the store to install on the laptop.  It helped me greatly, because the laptop was a gift from mom (she had no clue about computers and thought it would have Internet access with it...laptop was a little bit outdated).

Anyway, I hope to get the Epic very soon (pending complete response to my question in another topic) and I would like if anyone here can send me a private message on here on how to tether with the phone.  I know this topic was started last year, so a lot of changes was done since then.  Hopefully that I will be able to tether smoothly, as a time may come that I require to use temporarily. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

You don't have to pay for USB tethering. If you already have a data plan, you're covered. Just make sure that you don't cause any data overage charges. If you have unlimited data, than go crazy.

Highlighted
Journeyman

First and formost, either via a Hotspot or a Tether, the throughput on the phone is not going to match a MiFi device. It works great in a crunch.

I use PDANET from June Fabrics. It works very well. I know their are others in the Andriod Market place as well as in the Amazon Andriod App Store. PDA Net has been around for a long time and I would recommend them over the others.

Your other option which could void your warranty from Sprint is to root your phone and use a WIFI tether program. You would do this at your own risk and with only support from the forums. PDA Net does have support from the manufacturer, you also have an option if your computer supports blue tooth technology you can create a wireless tether to your phone, I've never got this to work well, the USB cable works best for me.

Community News

Our Community is currently set to Read Only due the pandemic's affect on our staffing .
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat