cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use while charging my Epic 4G

Highlighted
Journeyman

Use while charging my Epic 4G

OK so I am a total rookie when it comes to smart phones. So now that we know my skill level is.. Here is my questions for all you Phone Pros. When I have the phone plugged into the charger it basically disables the touch screen.. I can not use any of my apps, I can not even get past the unlock screen.. It does not matter if I am using the factory charger or my aftermarket charger. If I want to do ANYTHING including answer the phone, I have to unplug it answer and then once I have made the connection, I plug it back in and it goes right back to charging.

Is there some way to get around this? Or is this just one of the drawbacks of this phone?? Thanks in advance for your input..

Mgunslinger

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Wizard

I have mine plugged in right now and I'm able to turn on the screen and use the phone.  But, if the battery is completely dead, it won't let you use it until it's charged (or maybe until it's charged to a certain point?). 

Was your battery completely dead before you began charging your phone?

Highlighted
Journeyman

No the battery was not totally dead. I had just gotten the notice that the phone needed to go on the charger, and I am wondering if there is a setting that I am missing. I am just amazed that I cannot use my access all the features of my phone.. Thanks 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Are you using the factory charger?  I don't have that problem with the factory charger, but I have a couple of cheapo USB chargers, and they don't put out enough current (they were designed before this current generation of power hungry smartphones!).  When I use the cheapo charger, it does exactly what you describe.

You need a charger that supplies 7ma (.700a) minimum. Most of the cheaper ones only supply the older USB 2.0 standard .5a (500ma).

Highlighted
Journeyman

This is something that I have never heard of before. Just because it is is charging shouldn't make it stop you from using it, you should have full functionality. Two things I would suggest,. first go to the settings and try a factory reset (Setting>Privacy>Factory Data Reset) sometimes that will fix some bugs like memory leaks and errors in the phone. Second if that doesn't work I would suggest to take it in you local store and show them and they should eb able to take care of it for you.

Highlighted
Wizard

try this, make sure phone is on, home screen activated (not sleep) and unplugged.  now plug in the charger.  does your screen change and give you three options (sorry, can't remember what they are exactly): Charge Only, <something>, <something>.  Choose Charge Only option (it's the first one).  How does it work now?

true, even if you chose the other options, the touch screen should still work, just certain apps or functions doesn't.  If the above still provide the same problem, i suggest taking it to sprint service.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Most important question, are you using the Stock Firmware or have you changed to one of the 3rd party ones and two have you rooted your phone?

I would also look to any of the 'Power Saving / Battery Management Apps', if you have any of these installed I would suggest to uninstall them.

I've never had an issue of using my phone while it is charging, no matter what the charging source I am using.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm so frustrated.  I'm going thru this right now.  I'm on day 28 of my new phone and will be going to sprint to either a) hope i get a new one or b) they get the issue straightened out.  up until now i have never not been able to use my phone while it's plugged into the charger.  it's maddening.  grrrr. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Again, I think this is normal.  EVERY Epic or EVO phone I've seen does this.  Here's the answer:

1. Look at the charger label.  Under OUTPUT, it should say something like "5 v, 300ma" or such.  If it is less than 700ma, it could cause problems.  It just can't supply enough current to charge the phone AND operate it at the same time. 

2. If less than 700ma, this charger will work to charge like overnight (though it will take several hours), but it won't charge and operate at the same time. 

I buy a lot of really cheap cell phone accessories from sites like cellphoneshop.com or Cellularoutfitters.com, and they are really cheap.  But you have to know the current rating for cheapo chargers, and if less than 700ma it may not do what you want it to do.  The phone is just pulling so hard to get current out that the voltage is dropping and it's not able to operate.  But it will charge the battery.

Here's someting I do with these power hungry phones.  I get a wall charger that will charge a spare battery, and get a spare!  Universal 5v 1000ma charger is about $5 at CellphoneShop, and battery about $8 for Epic or Evo.  Then you can just swap batteries.

Steve

Highlighted
Wizard

Since you have gotten a notice that your battery was too low and needing to be charged, some features will be blocked to a certain point of battery life.  Also, if the phone gets too hot, some features can be blocked. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

I was told at the Sprint store not to use my phone while it is charging.  He said it will cause problems with the phone.

Also be sure and turn your phone off at least one time a day to allow it to reset.

Something else I didn't know was when using a car charger, you should never use the phone (not that I would talk and drive but if someone else was in the car using the phone)  He said the car charger doesn't  charge the same way as a full charger.  My battery life has increased since I have been following these guidelines. 

One of the best investment I have made in a long time was a extra battery pack.  I keep both charged and once a day turn the phone off and switch out batteries.  Before my battery would only last about 3hours but now it will usually last 6-8 (sometimes as long as 12 hours) unless I am playing a graphic intensive game.

Highlighted
Master

WOW! Goes to show you how clueless they can be. You CAN use your phone while charging and it will not cause any problems.

Also You CAN use it while plugged into a car charger without issues, Many do while using the Navigation apps.

JB1FANCHER wrote:

I was told at the Sprint store not to use my phone while it is charging.  He said it will cause problems with the phone.

Also be sure and turn your phone off at least one time a day to allow it to reset.

Something else I didn't know was when using a car charger, you should never use the phone (not that I would talk and drive but if someone else was in the car using the phone)  He said the car charger doesn't  charge the same way as a full charger.  My battery life has increased since I have been following these guidelines. 

One of the best investment I have made in a long time was a extra battery pack.  I keep both charged and once a day turn the phone off and switch out batteries.  Before my battery would only last about 3hours but now it will usually last 6-8 (sometimes as long as 12 hours) unless I am playing a graphic intensive game.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat