cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video Quality on Epic 4g - Froyo vs Eclair

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm looking for feedback from other Epic owners to see what their video quality looks like after having upgraded to Froyo.  I notice that files are now MP4 instead of 3GP, but more importantly, the ability to record in low-light settings, as far as I'm concerned, is gone.  Framerate goes out the window and makes videos pretty much unusable and unwatchable.  I've tried calling Sprint to see if this is a known issue and the people I've talked to said it wasn't on their "list" of issues to be addressed and that it was the first they'd heard of it.  I understand there might be more important bugs to iron out for people, but I use my phone's camera a lot and use it in place of a camcorder.  For someone like me, this is extremely troublesome and I'm not sure what I can do.  I asked if Sprint would flash my phone back to 2.1 but was told that they can't "downgrade" my phone and I would have to find a way to do it myself.  It doesn't seem right - had I meddled with my phone in a way that made my videos come out this way, Sprint would say it's my problem and I need to find a solution myself.  Seems like it doesn't matter that this was brought about by the Sprint update and it's still up to me to find  a solution.

Anyway, here are a couple video clips that show what I'm talking about:

Before Froyo (Eclair):

After Froyo - this video was actually taken with much more ambient light, too:

4 REPLIES 4
Journeyman

I guess even if no one has noticed it yet, maybe this evening someone else could try taking some video indoors and see if they are also having this framerate issue. Thanks.

Journeyman

Re: Video Quality on Epic 4g - Froyo vs Eclair

Sorry SntaCruz83,   I am not having any problems with the froyo (EC05) video recorder indoors.  I tried it in my office in low light and using the flash.  The framerate was good. Added 2 example clips: 

Journeyman

I appreciate you trying. What ver of froyo you on? Eb13 or ec05? Within the last half hour I think this might have been resolved forme. *crosses fingers*  I went to the camera app and tried checking for firmware update.  To my surprise, there was an update available.  I followed the on screen directions and after instaling the update, I let my phone reboot.  I tried out the video cam, but little to no improvement.  But, moments later I was notified of the ec05 update.  I installed it and it seems to have resolved the framerate issue forme.  More testing will be needed when I get home, but it looks promising. I will post video later.

Journeyman

Well, it looks like EC05 was the fix for me.  I got the notification for the EC05 update while I was grabbing some dinner at my local pizza joint and decided to take a quick video before I did the update and then right after.   You can see the difference yourself.  Hope this helps someone else who was having this issue.  At the very least, it can be included on the list of things fixed by EC05 that may have been tweaked by EB13. 

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat