cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When is 2.2 or 2.3 Gingerbread coming out for the Epic?

Highlighted
Journeyman

When is 2.2 or 2.3 Gingerbread coming out for the Epic?

I know we have all wondered and been told for a long time now that it will be out, but with all the focus on the the tab and the nexus etc, it would be nice to have some PR from Sprint to at least let us know when and which ones and maybe some info on what the advantages are and fixes will be.

16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Journeyman

I agree that Sprint should communicate what is going on with the update, unfortunately, I don't think they ever will. It would seem that the expectation is that Epic owners subscribe to the blog posts and then wait for the announcement that the update is here.

If you follow @GalaxySSupport on Twitter, the only communication they are providing is:

"We are working to make the Android 2.2/Froyo upgrade available to all U.S. Galaxy S owners as soon as possible. Due to the complexity and unique functionality of each Galaxy S device, we are performing additional testing. Samsung feels it is important to make the Android 2.2/Froyo upgrade available only after we feel that we can give the millions of U.S. Galaxy S owners a simple and reliable upgrade experience." The Galaxy S line of phones in the U.K. were upgraded and there were a couple of Galaxy S phones in Canada that were upgraded as well. I haven't seen any news of issues that have come up with those phones, so I don't know what the complexity issue is.

U.S. Cellular officially announced their upgrade schedule, and the Galaxy S phone they have (Samsung Mesmorize) is going to be updated in March. Hopefully we don't have to wait that long.

As far as Gingerbread for the Epic, Samsung has also made it clear via their Twitter account that "No official announcement has been made regarding Gingerbread and we aren't prepared to discuss it at this time." That sort of sounds like the Epic probably won't get Gingerbread, at least not officially.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I wasn't expecting a date, but it does make you wonder if they can put it out on the same phones in other countries, what is the delay here? I brought up Gingerbread because someone leaked from Thailand, I believe that they would come out with 2.3 on all Galaxy S phones. No date of course. Thank you.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sammy already released source to carriers. It's effing sprint we're waiting on. Sprint doesn't care about the Epic anymore. Log out and look at the list of phones sprint offers. You see the Evo, the  Evo Shift, and a few other Android phones, and then just over 3/4 of the way down the page is the Epic. I don't think we'll ever get Froyo, and if we do, meh, I'll probably have moved on to a better phone by then. They should rename the phone from the "Epic" to the "Meh".

Highlighted
Master

slmichalk wrote:

Sammy already released source to carriers. It's effing sprint we're waiting on. Sprint doesn't care about the Epic anymore. Log out and look at the list of phones sprint offers. You see the Evo, the  Evo Shift, and a few other Android phones, and then just over 3/4 of the way down the page is the Epic. I don't think we'll ever get Froyo, and if we do, meh, I'll probably have moved on to a better phone by then. They should rename the phone from the "Epic" to the "Meh".

Unfortunately you information isn't entirely accurate. Several versions of the software have been sent to Sprint for testing. Obviously they have all failed in some way or another or else the update would be released already. If you think it's a simple matter os Samsung making one "final" version of the software and then sending it to Sprint to finish you don't understand at all how phone software updates are done. There is no single base source they are using and the carrier makes the changes, all of the software changes are made bythe manufacturer, it is just final testing and requests that the carrier makes. So for example, the SprintTV, etc. applications are made by Sprint or a third-party vendor and added in at request, but the base Android software is entirely modified by the manufacturer.

As far as the order of devices on Sprint.com, that has no bearing at all on anything. You are reading into things that don't exist. You are spreading FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt) without having a basis in any facts.

Highlighted
Journeyman

HALCYONCMDR117 wrote:

slmichalk wrote:

Unfortunately you information isn't entirely accurate. Several versions of the software have been sent to Sprint for testing. Obviously they have all failed in some way or another or else the update would be released already. If you think it's a simple matter os Samsung making one "final" version of the software and then sending it to Sprint to finish you don't understand at all how phone software updates are done. There is no single base source they are using and the carrier makes the changes, all of the software changes are made bythe manufacturer, it is just final testing and requests that the carrier makes. So for example, the SprintTV, etc. applications are made by Sprint or a third-party vendor and added in at request, but the base Android software is entirely modified by the manufacturer.

As far as the order of devices on Sprint.com, that has no bearing at all on anything. You are reading into things that don't exist. You are spreading FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt) without having a basis in any facts.

FUD is easy to spread when neither the carrier or the manufacturer of the Epic will come out and give us some actual Cold Hard Facts.  Instead, we get snarky comments from moderators and canned responses from support bots.  I spoke to someone supposedly from Dan Hesse's office yesterday who called me after I emailed Sprint about this issue, and you're correct (of course) that Samsung is the primary problem here, but a simple, sticky thread at the top of the forum that said something more specific than "We're working on it, kthxbye" might make a lot of the FUD disappear.

It's more a matter of the customers feeling like you're patting us on the head and shoving us out the door because you think we're stupid... Treat us like adults, like people who shell out a LOT of money for your product, and we might be more accepting.

That said, the issue I was informed of was definitely between Google and Samsung.  I'm sure Sprint would like nothing better than to have a resolution to this mess...  The rep also said Sprint would look into the issue of salespeople spouting misinformation and lies just to make a sale, and would try to address that as well.  Whether that was true remains to be seen, but at least I can learn my lesson from this and never buy a Samsung mobile phone again.  I know it's a raindrop in the ocean to them since they have sold more phones than I can comprehend given their track record, but at least it will make me feel better.

Message was edited by: TONYTHESHOES1

Highlighted
Journeyman

This does not surprise me in the least... I posted this on December 1st over in another sprint forum and it appears to be coming true...

135. Dec 1, 2010 Posted in response to: CARRASQUILLO57 Re: android 2.2 update android  My guess is as new android devices continue to come along with 2.2 already installed, this device will be slipped to the back burner and not see an update at all..........

Case in point:   I received my email from sprint, the "Were not happy till your happy" checkup email... Well, just try to find the EPIC listed on those web pages that come up. NOT THERE............ Try to update from the My account page or even look for an update from the link "check for updates" , NOT THERE.... the only way it shows if if you go to support for devices then choose Samsung....

For what is called a "Flagship" Device, the EVO gets more attention. Perhaps I chose the wrong device.

Offer a plain vanilla version of Froyo or gingerbread for that matter and let customers decide on alacarte apps to bring into their phones.

Sprint store employees also need to be kept informed and offer CORRECT information. Commision breeds the ole "tell em what they want to hear so they buy" syndrome way more than not~~

Message was edited by: willmsbrg

Message was edited by: willmsbrg

Highlighted
Journeyman

Tony,

It souns like you got more information from the representative at Dan Hesse's office. I did the same thing a few weeks ago, and sent an e-mail to Dan. I got a phone call back and the representative indicated my information would be forwarded to the appropriate department. I sent a second e-mail back yesterday, but I also called a different Sprint contact number and spoke with someone else.

I even posted a message on the Google Mobile forums hoping to find out what was going on. I had hoped that maybe someone could say that there was a potential issue with the update coming from Google, but so far the only response indicates that it basically comes down to Sprint/Samsung and the way they do upgrades.

HALCYONCMDR:

Since you indicate that there have been multiple versions of the software sent to Sprint for testing and taht they have all failed in some way, it would be intresting to find out what exactly the issue was with the "leaked test release" - DK28. I know that the first post in the first topic regarding the test release was either edited or removed, so other than it not being official, what was wrong with the DK28? What software version is being worked on at this time? What is the progress towards it being completed? Other local carriers (U.S. Cellular and Virgin Mobile) are announcing March 2011 or Spring 2011. Is this a general time frame or is that really how long it's going to take to wrap up the testing?

Highlighted
Journeyman

There seems to be a lot of speculation on what is casuing this update to be delayed.

Some reports indicate that the problem is the landscape mode of the display that is causing a problem. Apparently this unique to this phone. Other reports are saying that it's the Touchwiz that's causing a problem with getting the update out.

One thing is for certain, Samsung is really busy right now releasing new phones and those phones have the updated OS on them. It's intresting that Samsung chose to make the update available for the Acclaim on U.S. Cellular and that they made a maintenance update available for the Fascinate, which fixes the GPS.

Samsung won't say anything other than there standard line of due to the complexity of each device, additional testing is being performed. They won't even answer a tweet regarding how much longer this "testing" is going to be.

If you take a look over at Android Central, there is an OS upgrade chart. The Evo which was released on 6/4/10, promptly got updated to 2.2 just 41 days after release. The Epic on the other hand, was released on 8/31/10 and has yet to see an update.

Honestly, aside from the 2.2 update, all I'd like is a working GPS. Unfortunately, Sprint doesn't seem to have any documentation that this is a problem. I currently have a sprint technician researching a solution, but it's being researched over the course of the last three days.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I will give Sprint and Samsung Epic till the end of the month for the update, if no update, GOODBYE SPRINT, SAMSUNG AND ANDROID.

I will go to VERIZON and to iOS. This is ridiculous, you make this VERY expensive investment Plus pay for 4G which isn't even available in my area with no communication from SPRINT-good or bad and this is quality SPRINT Customer Service?  17 days and counting

Highlighted
Wizard

I posted in one of the many other threads on this topic about having had 4 (maybe 5) different versions of the software in the lab.  As far as how long testing will take, it really depends on if there are any more issues found on the last build.

There have literally been as many targeted release dates as there have been builds in the lab.  I understand the frustration on the Community about not being able to say when it will be available, but imagine if we had given you several dates that had all been missed...not good.  We are REALLY, REALLY working this as fast as possible to get it released.

There are suppose to be major GPS improvements in the new release.

Highlighted
Master

c_brookhart wrote:

HALCYONCMDR:

Since you indicate that there have been multiple versions of the software sent to Sprint for testing and taht they have all failed in some way, it would be intresting to find out what exactly the issue was with the "leaked test release" - DK28. I know that the first post in the first topic regarding the test release was either edited or removed, so other than it not being official, what was wrong with the DK28? What software version is being worked on at this time? What is the progress towards it being completed? Other local carriers (U.S. Cellular and Virgin Mobile) are announcing March 2011 or Spring 2011. Is this a general time frame or is that really how long it's going to take to wrap up the testing?

I am just a retail rep so I don't really have any inside information at all about release dates or anything. I have no way of finding out which version they are working on at the moment because I'm not authorized for that information. As for release windows, Sprint historically tends not to say anything unless they know an actual date for it. My guess is because there will be more backlash if the estimated date is passed, even if it is communicated as an estimate. Just look at how angry people get when rumored dates based in very little fact are passed, I can't imagine what an official estimate date that is passed would garner.

I do however know how the testing process works for the device teams because I have asked in the past about that. Most of the work is done by the manufacturer because they are the ones that have access to exactly which parts are in the phone from which suppliers, thwn you also have UI overlays like Sense and TouchWiz as well.

When I installed the DK28 update on my phone the first time, through the update.zip method both my GPS and WiFi failed entirely. Wiping completely and going back to 2.1, then making sure GPS had a lock and WiFi was enabled and connected before doing the update again gave me working GPS and WiFi. These are the types of things that not everyone would have occur, and may only occur a small percentage of the time, but they have to try and work out before it is released widely.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat