cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When is 2.2 or 2.3 Gingerbread coming out for the Epic?

Highlighted
Journeyman

When is 2.2 or 2.3 Gingerbread coming out for the Epic?

I know we have all wondered and been told for a long time now that it will be out, but with all the focus on the the tab and the nexus etc, it would be nice to have some PR from Sprint to at least let us know when and which ones and maybe some info on what the advantages are and fixes will be.

16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Journeyman

I don't see how the carriers and the handset manufacturers are going to be able to sustain the status quo. If custom hardware and UI are holding up the release of Android updates, what happens when a vulnerability is discovered and a patch needs to be rushed out?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Halcyoncmdr,

I suppose that I can understand that if Sprint were to provide a date for the software update and then that date was misssed, that there would be a backlash from the community because of a missed date. The thing is though, there already is a backlash from the community because of how long this is taking. If the source that provided android central the chart of OS udpates is to be trusted and believed, then it becomes obvious why people are saying things like "I'm going to Verizon" or "I'm never buying a Samsung product again" - it's because the Evo was updated within two months after the phone was released and the Epic still hasn't been updated.

With Sprint only saying that they are working with Samsung to get the update out and with Samsung only saying "Samsung feels it is important to make the Android 2.2/Froyo upgrade available only after we feel that we can give the millions of U.S. Galaxy S owners a simple and reliable upgrade experience. Due to the complexity and unique functionality of each Galaxy S device, we are performing additional testing and are working to make the Android 2.2/Froyo upgrade available to all U.S. Galaxy S owners as soon as possible" and with the update having been made available to the U.K., Canada, and recently in the U.S. to the Acclaim, the Epic owners are left wondering how much longer is this going to be. From what I understand after speaking with a Sprint representative was that there was a maintenance release due in the fourth quarter of 2010. I was also surprised to learn after speaking with the Sprint representative is that the Epic phone isn't even listed when you go to www.sprint.com/downloads

I'd like to ask, how do you get a GPS lock when it doesn't even work to begin with? Quite often, when I run GPS Test, as many as 11 satellites are visible but they aren't always used. When the satellites are used, only 4 out of 11 are being used. My guess is this is why the accuracy is never better than 98FT or 30 meters.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I know I am one of many that have made comments about this coming out. I just wanted you to know that your reply at least set me at ease that you are truly working to get it out. I was uncertain that it may come out at all as the PR from Sprint has been nothing at all. I here your sincerity and hope to get very soon.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I took matters into my own hands last night and upgraded to DK28.  I'm thoroughly convinced now that the ONLY reason this hasn't been approved for wide release is because the upgrade isn't 100% idiot-proof.  It isn't difficult by any means, but a lot of people who own these phones barely know which end of a USB cable to plug into a computer, let alone how to be able to suss out exactly why their GPS is no longer locking on.  By the way, there are fixes for that, but they involve steps that could be potentially intimidating.  I just imagine my parents trying to do this, and it makes more sense.

I think another part of the problem is that in order to really do a thorough job on the upgrade, you essentially have to start over with your phone, and re-download all of your apps, etc.  This would also be an issue for many.

That said, I got tired of waiting, took the Froyo plunge, and am pleasantly surprised at how nicely my phone is running now.  GPS is almost instantaneous, and Flash is pretty nifty.

If you have a decent amount of computer savvy, I hardily encourage you to give upgrading a try.  Just read all of the instructions thoroughly and don't panic, and you'll be flying on 2.2.1 in no time.  Took longer to download the DK28 upgrade than to install it!

Still, shame on Samsung and Sprint for not figuring out how to do this for the general public...

Message was edited by: TONYTHESHOES1

Highlighted
Wizard

Please continue your discussions on the Android 2.2 upgrade in this thread: http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/252630#252630

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat