cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When will Sprint update the Operating System to os 2.2 or greater to allow true bluetooth communication?

Highlighted
Journeyman

When will Sprint update the Operating System to os 2.2 or greater to allow true bluetooth communication?

I have a Samsung Epic 4G and there is a shortcoming in the Operating System OS 2.1 which needs to be upgraded to OS 2.2 or greater.  The problem is Bluetooth devices can not place calls.  Of course you can pair the device with the phone and you can answer calls but you cannot place calls using the blluetooth exclusively.  Does anyone have a solution?

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Journeyman

I am waiting also.  In Connecticut it is the law that cell phone use while driving is only allowed hands free.  So no voice dial via blueytooth sucks.  My previous two phones could voice dial via bluetooth.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Personally I view this as THE critical issue with delayed release of 2.2.  I bought the Epic in Sept.  expecting 2.2 soon.  I, one of  their many customers, shouldn't have to flash it with unsupported software to get a key safety feature.  At the time, I had every reason to believe that 2.2 would appear before the end of the year.  If I'd had known it would be more than 3 months, I wouldn't have bought it.  As it stands right now, I'm more than just frustrated.  I'm feel like I was lied to, and will likely switch carriers when my contract is up.  I can be treated like this by average airline employee.  There's no need to seek this kind of treatment for phone service.  SPRINT/SAMSUNG if your listening, this is a big deal.

Highlighted
Journeyman

yes it is b ull sh#t that sprint or  samsung didn't make this into the o.s. to allow for this. the epic is supposed to be a smart phone but can't do something as simple as this. all the other phones out there make them so bluetooth works hands free. in illinois we must use a hands free devise in the vehicle so i asked and they said it will be included in the 2.2 update that would be out the next week from when i bought it(that was early nov.) so being a dumb a$$ believing a company like sprint i bought it, i should include i drive a semi-truck and always receive calls and have to contact people so if i happen to kill someone because this phone doesn't work the way it should sorry but oh well i will just have to say sorry blame sprint my bad.

After my contract is up i am leaving sprint (maybe sooner if they piss me off any more, i will pay the etf and pay more per month somewhere else just so i don't get lied to anymore. sprint sucks as far as communication to there customers. and samsung should hire some of the developers at xda at least they know how to get thing working. if you look around there are 20 (at least) new phones coming out every month and they are not working on 2.2 for the epic it just shows all they care about is new phones and screw helping the customers we already have. otherwise they should just send what they have to xda or the developers at htc and just say hey here you go we are not smart enough to get this working could you guys!!!!!!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

FARAHBEAR1972 wrote:

yes it is b ull sh#t that sprint or  samsung didn't make this into the o.s. to allow for this. the epic is supposed to be a smart phone but can't do something as simple as this. all the other phones out there make them so bluetooth works hands free. in illinois we must use a hands free devise in the vehicle so i asked and they said it will be included in the 2.2 update that would be out the next week from when i bought it(that was early nov.) so being a dumb a$$ believing a company like sprint i bought it, i should include i drive a semi-truck and always receive calls and have to contact people so if i happen to kill someone because this phone doesn't work the way it should sorry but oh well i will just have to say sorry blame sprint my bad.

After my contract is up i am leaving sprint (maybe sooner if they **** me off any more, i will pay the etf and pay more per month somewhere else just so i don't get lied to anymore. sprint sucks as far as communication to there customers. and samsung should hire some of the developers at xda at least they know how to get thing working. if you look around there are 20 (at least) new phones coming out every month and they are not working on 2.2 for the epic it just shows all they care about is new phones and ***** helping the customers we already have. otherwise they should just send what they have to xda or the developers at htc and just say hey here you go we are not smart enough to get this working could you guys!!!!!!!

2.2 starting the BT calling deal...  Sorry, but if that was important to you why didn't you buy a phone that already have it over one that will have it in the future.  I honestly wouldn't buy a device that didn't have what I need right out of the box.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Seriously?  Why would you hundreds of dollars to buy a phone you wouldn't want to use for 2 to 4 years, when you have a reasonable expectation that the sole issue will be fixed in the very near future?  The issue is the missing official update, and the lack of good information concerning the delay.

Highlighted
Journeyman

foxBlade wrote:

Seriously?  Why would you hundreds of dollars to buy a phone you wouldn't want to use for 2 to 4 years, when you have a reasonable expectation that the sole issue will be fixed in the very near future?  The issue is the missing official update, and the lack of good information concerning the delay.

Simple if it works for 2 years or more you get more of your monies worth, and you won't come to a forum to complain about updates, or wait for an update to have a feature you really "need".  You'd already have what you "need".  Also people keep complaining about "prices" so not everyone should have the money to buy a phone every year.

Fixes can happen with MR, and doesn't always have to be a OS upgrade...  SO missing an official "upgrade" isn't really an "update" now is it?

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat