cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is the Samsung Epic 4G getting EOL'ed in October of this year? Please, Hear my Plea!!

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

Why is the Samsung Epic 4G getting EOL'ed in October of this year? Please, Hear my Plea!!

Why is the Samsung Epic 4G getting EOL'ed in October of this year?

From what I have gathered, the Epic 4G is still in the running for the better phones that Spring has. The Samsung Epic 4G is even still Sprint's TOP 10 Best Phones Overall! I even took the time over the past few days to look at the phones Sprint has available between now and Q4 of 2011. When you compare the Samsung Epic 4G to other phones in the Sprint Network, and in other Network's as well, the Samsung Epic 4G still places 7th overall. However, personally to me the Samsung Epic 4G was "THE PHONE" I craved! The Samsung Epic 4G is "TRULY EPIC!!" Last year when I first decided to get a business/personal line, and be back on a network with a phone that was the best of the best. That's why I chose to get the Samsung Epic 4G to begin with. Think about the name...doesn't it just make you think; "I wonder just how EPIC it really is?" My next thought was about my network, and which carrier was the Epic 4G under. I was planning on coming to Sprint to find out information about the plans Sprint offered anyway, but the fact that the Epic 4G was already being carried by Sprint I got a plan that matched the phone. The Everything Data 450 was, and still is, the perfect plan for the Epic 4G, my business, and me in general all for a reasonably affordable rate. It has been a match made just for me.

Well, back to the Epic 4G...I will admit I have had a few technical issues with it over almost a year now. However, it was never anything that was too serious, and nothing that tech support couldn't help me with in a timely manner. I have had awesome customer service with Sprint, and hopefully this discussion will get some attention in a good way. Anyways, to understand why I say the Epic 4G is "TRULY EPIC" is due to the capabilities of the phone. Side by side comparison of many of the phones out now on any network can even compete with the sheer amount of things the Epic 4G can do. When I heard about the EOL'ing of the Epic 4G was when I began to size the competition up, and trying to find a phone that could fill such a void that's left behind the Epic 4G. At first I searched for the fabled "Samsung Epic 2", and that took about few days of searching to realize that Sprint didn't have any plans for a successor to the Epic 4G. I was disappointed, but I still kept searching and comparing as I found leaks on different unnamed phones. I came across some phones that are "Superphones" that literally had me going "WOW!"

The problem is 1 of 2 things are wrong with even the "Superphones". I know that is hard to imagine, but yes they are flawed for timing and lack compared to the Epic 4G. I was searching through all of the leaks that I could to the point that I found out what all the major carriers; Sprint, Verizon, ect., have given as a "nickname" to the major player at each quarter of the year. I was surprised to find out that "Flagship" is quite suiting for the Superphones that are soon to come out. Well, I got more into researching specs on just about all of the major players that upcoming throughout the rest of the year. One main key thing that I enjoy about the Samsung Epic 4G is the 5-row QWERTY sliding keyboard. I know there are ways to text without using it, but I bought the Epic 4G because I am one of the people who type quicker when using the QWERTY slider. When you have to type something that is long; such as this message that I am writing currently, it is tremedously helpful to have the Epic 4G's 5-row QWERTY keyboard to type the long things out on. Don't get me wrong now, I enjoy my swype as well. I have my preferences for using each. So, naturally I began my search for a comparable phone to the Epic 4G by looking for the phones who had a 5-row QWERTY sliding keyboard. My search for comparable QWERTY's ended up in disappointment.

There is like 3 phones that have a 5-row QWERTY to begin with, and all of them are still smaller than the Epic 4G. This isn't even mentioning the fact that all but 1 of those phones aren't going to be realeased until Christmas at the earliest, and Sprint isn't getting the only considerable 5-row QWERTY. I mean hey that's kool because the Epic 4G is still here, but not if it stays on Sprint's EOL list for October! I'm even ok with phones getting EOL'ed, but there needs to be a phone to be a "TRUE SECCESSOR" to the phone that is being EOL'ed first; especially when the Epic 4G is still a "MAJOR" contender in the upcoming "Superphone Wars!" The Epic 4G is equivalent to 2010's "Superphone", and has the strength to still compete in today's market. I mean really?! Has the main people at Sprint sat down to look over the Epic 4G's full specs for comparison?! Here's the FULL SPECIFICATIONS of the Samsung Epic 4G just so it isn't missed on my call. I also took the liberty to write in some suggestions to get the Epic 4G back up to par, and give it a a different perspective from.

(The suggestions for improvements have a "+" sign, and in brackets like this.)

GENERAL

2G Network                                   CDMA 800 / 1900

3G Network                                   CDMA2000 1xEV-DO, HSDPA 2100

Announced                                  2010, June

Status                                        Available. Released 2010, September

SIZE        

Dimensions                                  124 x 65 x 14 mm

Weight                                       155 g

DISPLAY

Type                                          Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors (+ Super AMOLED Plus)

Size                                           480 x 800 pixels, 4.0 inches (+Resolution/Pixels)

- QWERTY keyboard

- Gorilla Glass display

- TouchWiz 3.0 UI

(+v4.0 UI)

Epic Pic.jpg

(+Multi-touch input method)

- Accelerometer sensor for UI auto-rotate                                                                     

- Touch-sensitive controls

- Proximity sensor for auto turn-off 

(+Sense UI)

(+Gyroscope Sensor)

SOUND

Alert types                           Vibration; MP3, WAV ringtones(+AAC,MIDI,XMF)

Loudspeaker                          Yes

3.5mm jack                            Yes

MEMORY

Phonebook                             Practically unlimited entries and fields, Photocall

Call records                          Practically unlimited

Internal                                512 MB RAM(+1G), 512 MB(+1G)ROM

Card slot                               microSD, up to 32GB, buy memory

DATA

GPRS                                    Class 10, 236.8 kbps(+Class 12)

EDGE                                    Class 10, 236.8 kbps(+Class 12)

3G                                         Rev. A, up to 3.1 Mbps, HSDPA(+21 Mbps; HSUPA, 5.76 Mbps)

WLAN                                   Wi-Fi 802.11(+a)b/g/n; WiMAX, Wi-Fi hotspot (Android 2.2)(+DLNA, +Wi-Fi Direct)

Bluetooth                                Yes, v2.1 with A2DP(+v3.0,+HS)

Infrared port                         No

USB                                       Yes, v2.0 microUSB(+MHL,+USB On-the-go)

CAMERA

Primary                                  5 MP(+10MP), 2592 x 1944 pixels, autofocus, LED flash

Features                                Geo-tagging, touch focus, face and smile detection

Video                                     Yes, 720p@30fps(+1080p/HD)

Secondary                              Yes, VGA(+2mp)

FEATURES

OS                                        Android OS, v2.1 (Eclair), upgradable to v2.2(+OS, v2.3 Gingerbread)

CPU                                       1 GHz ARM Cortex-A8 processor, PowerVR SGX540 GPU, Hummingbird chipset

(+Dual-core 1.2GHz ARM Cortex-A9 proccessor, +Mali-400MP GPU, +Exynos chipset)

Messaging                              SMS(threaded view), MMS, Email, Push Mail, IM, RSS(+HancentMMS)

Browser                                 HTML

Radio                                     Stereo FM radio with RDS

Games                                    Yes

Colors                                    Black

GPS                                       Yes, with A-GPS support(+NaviPanel)

Java                                      Yes, via Java MIDP emulator(+MIDP 2.0)

- Mobile TV

- Social networking integration

- Digital compass

- MP4/DivX/WMV/H.264/H.263 player

- MP3/WAV/eAAC+/AC3/FLAC player

(+XviD, +WMA)

(+Active noise cancellation with dedicated mic)

(+TV-out; via MHL A/V link, +HMDI-out)

(+SNS Integration)

- Organizer

- Image/video editor

- Document editor (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, PDF)

- Google Search, Maps, Gmail,

-YouTube, Calendar, Google Talk, Picasa integration

- Flash Lite v3.1

- Voice memo/dial/commands

- Predictive text input (Swype)

BATTERY

Standard battery                    Li-Ion 1500 mAh(+Increase 2400 mAh)

Stand-by                                Up to 300 h(+600 hours Talk Time)

Talk time                                Up to 5 h 30 min(+12 hours Talk Time)

MISC

SAR US                                  0.68 W/kg (head)     0.99 W/kg (body)

In all reality, the Epic 4G mainly just needs some more Ram, newer processor, and a "tune-up" to catch up from last year. With "The Great Superphone Wars" competition that I read about online during my research, I see that Sprint needs to hold on to the current, "LARGEST", 5-row QWERTY sliding keyboard on the market. The Samsung Epic 4G is being vastly "overlooked" to get thrown off of the chopping block after being on the market for barely a year. Outside of the biggest 5-row QWERTY keyboard, the Epic 4G has a Super AMOLED 4 inch screen; which is a baby step below full HD, to add to its competitiveness. Very few phones currently have even a 3.5 inch screen at best. There is only a few competitors that will have a 4+ inch screen by the end of Q4 2011. Another edge that the Epic 4G has is that a good number of Superphones due to be released by Q4 2011 has only 512 MB of RAM; which is the equivalent of the Epic 4G. The Epic 4G has the computing power of the 1 GHz Hummingbird processor, and Many of the new Superphones are just "Flashy" for lack of better words, while the size and capabilities of the Epic 4G destroy the competition.

This brings me to the heat resistant, slip resistant, and durable "Naztech Snap-On Rubberized cover". The Epic 4G case can easily be removed, and durable enough to protect it from the worst of falls. In a few cases, even being dropped out of a car, and ran over. The Epic 4G also has a wide ranging communication system that's built-in, and has ease in transmitting data across all carriers. As for the cameras on the Epic 4G, there is one 5 MP camera; with a bright LED light, that can zoom up to 4x with an auto-focus feature. The other camera is hidden in the top left face of the Epic 4G, and is a VGA 0.3 MP camera that allows you to have a video chat by Skype, Yahoo, MSN, AIM, ect. Now, let's go into the Hotspot and 4G capabilities. The Epic 4G has a very good 3G network in which the Hotspot feature adds for the user. It allows the user to have their Epic 4G be their own personal Wifi Hotspot as they choose to.

This leads me into the 4G capabilities of the Epic 4G, and if it weren't for lack of coverage, the Epic 4G would skin the competition alive. It has a 2010 Bluetooth 2.1, however it does have the A2DP; which is an Advanced Audio Disruption Profile, and it helps with random noise polution that can become bothersome when around people while using a bluetooth headset, receiver, ect. The little things that make the Epic 4G "TRULY EPIC" add up quite fast, and to top it all off has little "Virtual Helpers" in the phone itself. You can access the "Green Guides" anytime you have an issue, and usually can be worked out with the Green Guides helping you. This will allow for less customer service involvement, and keep you in an "EPIC MOOD" where ever you and the Epic 4G desire to go. The way the Samsung Epic 4G stands up in side by side comparison of nearly every single phone, superphone, and iphone that I have weighed it out against it usually ends up with the Epic 4G being the better choice.

In online reviews, the Epic 4G still boasts between a 4.5 - 5 out of 5 as a great choice for a phone. It just needs a little TLC from Sprint. Having said my peace, and I'm  hoping that someone high enough up in Sprint's offices hear my plea for the Epic's Salvation. If nothing else, the Epic 4G has become a penacle "Keystone" for demonstrating that it still has a plenty of life left that's untapped. The Epic 4G has been a Flagship for other's to follow in its lead, and deserves better than getting EOL'ed only a year after its release. At the very least, the people at Sprint deserve to have a successor of the Samsung Epic 4G that is "worthy" of the name. Perhaps, we could be fortuned upon enough to have its successor; inspired by this last ditch effort, and be known as the "Samsung Galaxy TRULY EPIC 4GHD!!" In closing, the Samsung Epic 4G is still in with the top 10 competitors on the market. It's at number 7, but still has a strong "TRULY EPIC" hold a after a year of the rise of "The Great Superphone Wars!"

Namaste'

~Kai~

8 REPLIES 8
Master

You are very knowledgeable and understand the issue

In all reality, the Epic 4G mainly just needs some more Ram, newer processor, and a "tune-up" to catch up from last year

newer processor and more ram  means a different board and the Epic's pieces are almost 18 months old and things change in a hurry.  Consumers want the new best thing - Marketing drives model changes

The Epic is probably the most underrated phone we have - so many people are HTC lovin  and de-keyboard programmed when it comes to buying habits.

Great post and an (Epic) plea though.

Larry ~ OKIESTRO

Journeyman

Re: Why is the Samsung Epic 4G getting EOL'ed in October of this year? Please, Hear my Plea!!

Hey Okiestro,

Thanks for hearing my plea on this. Sprint needs to open their eyes, and realize what they are sitting on. The amount of different capabilities that the Epic can do is only stifled by lack of attentiveness to it. The Epic is, by far, my favorite phone, and nothing seems to get close to the amount of individual features that are packed into one EPIC punch! It's a little dis-heartening, but if enough attention is drawn to it we may have an epic save for the Epic 4G. As for the HTC lovers, it's an ok phone in my opinion, but it doesn't have the feel or amount of features all around as the Epic does. As an overall phone, I believe that only a successor to the Epic 4G will be the one to take the crown until probably Q4 2012.

Journeyman

Check out Phandroid for info on the upcoming successor to the Epic  4G, rumored to be called the "Samsung Galaxy II Epic 4G Touch".  It will NOT have a keyboard,  but it will have a dual-core processor, larger screen, and other, more-up-to-date,  specs.

I have the Epic 4G and am anxiously awaiting the Epic 4G Touch.   While I like the Epic 4G, I've always hated it's bulkiness because I  NEVER use the keyboard.  It slows me down (Swype is OK but there are  better keyboard options on the market that use the same "swiping"  convention that I find to be much more user-friendly).  So, I have a really thick phone for no reason that suits  me.  My girlfriend has the Epic 4G too and ONLY uses the keyboard, so  it's the perfect match for her needs.

First I looked at switching to the Nexus S, but the Epic actually has better specs.  Then I looked at the Evo 3D, but it's almost as bulky  as the Epic, the 3D is novel but gets old fast, and if you tilt the  screen even just slightly the screen image fades. Tilt it a little more  and you can't see the screen image at all!  Then I looked at the Motorla  Photon, but it weighs much more than the upcoming Epic Touch and the  screen doesn't seem to be nearly as good as the Epic's--there are  reports of pixelization and screen noise.

And so I will wait until mid-September, when the Epic Touch is rumored to be launched.  If the keyboard is crucial to you, then it won't be your next phone.  But for those of us who don't need a physical keyboard, and who want the best screen combined with dual core processors, it should be the best phone on the market.

Journeyman Dbl
Journeyman

I can’t add much more to your post then what you already mentioned. But I am here responding because I agree with you completely and wanted to share my love for the phone. I hope they can keep the look and feel of the phone the same just add more ram and a faster processor to make it faster. It really does have everything else you need. My wife and I have had the Epic 4g for over a year now and love it. But speed is definitely holding the phones capabilities back which is very sad.

I just want to say also I love the Sprint service. I have not had to call customer service yet and that’s because I have had no issues with dropped calls or txt messages etc. We used to be U.S. Cellular customers and I can tell you honestly Sprint by far has way better service and better pricing. I’m glad I switched just wish I had done it sooner.

Thanks Sprint

-Dan

Journeyman

I love my Epic 4g.  The keyboard is great especially for me who has fat fingers & the touch screen letters are to close together.

There has been a couple of times is has froze but taking out the battery remedied that.

Why is it when sprint gets a good phone they get rid of it?  This is the best phone for android that I have found.  It not huge like the HTC & is easy to operate.  I love the fact that I have sprint music which is not available with htc.

DO NOT GET RID OF THE SAMSUNG EPIC 4G!!!!!

Sprint Employee

Hello PamR1216, Although it is necessary in the life of a phone to end production, rest assured that comparable phones will be released. Samsung will likely make another high end android that will be even better!

No longer working Community Response.
Journeyman

While I like the S II, I'll be hoping that between now and when I upgrade a version comes out with a keyboard.  On Android, a keyboard is a must for me.  The only on screen keyboard I've ever used and really been alright with was the iOS one.  Not saying it's better, just that it works better for me. 

Journeyman

I just came across your message about the Epic 4G being EOL'ed and to say that I am upset is an understatement.  I started my service with Sprint with the PPC-6700.  Sprint then refused to issue the OS upgrade for the phone and instead stated that to get the new OS, users had to buy the newer model of the phone even though the OS ran fine on the older model.  Sprint simply wanted to make more money by selling new hardware.  Despite this past issue I foolishly decided to buy another phone from Sprint, namely the Epic 4g.  Now Sprint is pulling the same B.S. after issuing only one OS upgrade that has proven to be a total piece of sh** since my phone now requires a reboot daily to resolve all its problems.  I am still on a 2-year contract, but I am now finding out that my contract is outlasting my phone.  This is totally ridiculous!  I now understand why Sprint has such a high customer turnover rate even though it has provided me better service than the other companies I've tried.  As a result, I will no longer buy another phone from Sprint, and when my contract is up I will be switching to Verizon.  If Sprint was serious about keeping its customers, it would stop playing these stupid games in order to squeeze more money from its loyal customers.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat