cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is there no update available for the Android Software on my Epic 4G. I am really tired of waiting.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Why is there no update available for the Android Software on my Epic 4G. I am really tired of waiting.

When I bought this phone Sprint assured me it was upgradeable, but no Android update is being pushed even though it exist and has existed for awhile.  Why?  This is not the way to promote brand loyalty !! I don't want to Hack my own phone and shouldn't have to.

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Wizard

Re: Why is there no update available for the Android Software on my Epic 4G. I am really tired of waiting.

GBMaguire,

Thanks for reaching out. I understand your frustration. Please keep in mind the Epic 4G (Galaxy S1) was released in 2010 and is a device Samsung considers end of life as they are on the 4th iteration of this device line. There have been many software updates for it but hardware limitations won't support certain Android versions. To ensure you have the latest version available, it is Android 2.3 FC09.

Carlos

Sprint Social Care Team

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Why is there no update available for the Android Software on my Epic 4G. I am really tired of waiting.

I couldn't agree more.  Samsung made a mistake when they made this phone and made it too good.  I have dropped it many times where I thought it would be broken and it's perfect.  It has outlasted every cellphone I've ever had including non-smartphones!

As far as processing power, it can lug around the FC09 update with the ALWAYS running Sprint "Connections Optimizer"!  I guess it had some system resources to spare after all (up until the FC09 release THEN the hardware was maxed out).  It's pretty bad when the last update a phone gets is mobile data offload to wifi software.

Highlighted
Wizard

anti-lytics,

Thanks for posting. The connections optimizer can be disabled if you do not prefer it. Here's how: Menu-> Settings-> Wireless and Network-> Mobile Networks-> Automatic Connections-> Uncheck it. http://bit.ly/1bwPIA6

Carlos

Sprint Social Care Team

Highlighted
Journeyman

Optimizer.jpg

Right, right..but it still runs constantly.  And I can't do anything about it as my USB port is no good which precludes rooting, as a wireless ADB of course requires root and installing a custom recovery in ODIN requires a USB connection, so that's where we are.

I'm still happy with the phone, but it's obvious Sprint is in an awkward market position with its "unlimited data" when all the other carriers are going back to the AOL internet by the hour model.  A visit to the Birdstep webpage makes it clear that this software is designed to nudge customers onto non-Sprint wifi networks.  I've got nothing against wifi but I do have something against sneaky.  Again, generally happy with Sprint but prefer to disable this software and can't.  A poor last software update to a great phone.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat