cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi-fi and high pitched sound after GB

Highlighted
Journeyman

After the Gingerbread update, I have two main issues.  First, my Epic 4G at best establishes a weak Wi-Fi connection.  It sees the wi-fi networks, but the connections are weak resulting in continuous buffering when viewing video (youtube, Vevo, etc).  My home wi-fi connection was very strong minutes before the update.  I've tested it out with several other wifi connections which are typically strong.  Also had a friend without the update test the same wifi locations: hers are strong while mine are barely existent.  Is their a fix for this?

My phone now makes a high pitched sounds what appears to be at random moments, i.e., I haven't been able to determine a pattern or related activity leading up to the high pitched sounds.  Any way to stop it?

Tags (1)
12 REPLIES 12
Journeyman

Same issues. This is why I rarely do "updates". Thanks for the downgrade

How do I restore?

Sprint Employee

Hello all, I have seen a few reports of the high pitched sounds, some of our instore techs report it is resolved by reapplying the software update in our service centers, it is being investigated by our developers. No reports of weak Wi-Fi signal.

No longer working Community Response.
Journeyman

I have this same problem with the high pitched sound. Intermittent. Can't make it happen. Can't stop it when it does happen. Checked out Android Forums and a lot of people have the same problem. Called Sprint Tech Support today and talked to two "techs" and neither one has heard of the problem. The last person was a "higher techie", I guess, and she was not even interested in finding out about other people documenting this problem. All she wanted to do was set up an appointment or something for me to take it into a store. I said that I did not need anyone to set up for me to take into a store. My problem is that I can't MAKE it happen for anyone. It just happens. I told her I could email her numerous web accounts of this happening but she was not at all interested that many others have had this problem.

This sound started happening after the upgrade. The upgrade was a success but the phone would just keep rebooting in a loop. Fix was to call tech support and do a hard reset. Sound problem ever since.

I would have been satisfied if she would have just said that they know there is a problem and are working on it. Couldn't get that from either tech.

Sprint Employee

Re: Wi-fi and high pitched sound after GB

Hello deepsix81, our software developers are investigating the high pitched sound, and now reports of reduced WiFi reception. I apologize if anybody here had told you anything different. In situations like this for newly discovered problems, or problems under investigation we may refer you to a service center because the store tech document these problems, and on occasion collect samples when necessary.

Journeyman

Just to add to the confusion...I am having the exact same problem with the high pitched sound after the upgrade.  Comes and goes at random times.  However, did want to point out that my husband, son and myself all purchased the Epic at the same time.  We all upgraded within a day or two of eachother and their phones upgraded with no issue.  I'm glad it wasn't all of us...but soooo frustrating!  No problem with WiFi. 

Journeyman

Same here. We bought two of these at the same time. One upgraded with no problem and the other, mine, has this problem. Another person on our account got the same phone a week later and has no problems with the upgrade or noise.

Sprint Employee

Thank you for the feedback, the problem of random high pitched noise, and reduced WiFi signal strength have been reported, and are currently being researched. I will post back here when I get more detail.

Journeyman

Another Epic 4G here... No sound issues, by my wifi is horrible.  Sitting in the same spots in my house and my office where I used to get decent reception, I now get nothing.  Awesome "upgrade."

Journeyman

well, misery loves company, so I'm glad (I guess) that I'm not the only one experiencing these problems.  For those with the weak or no-wifi, I was told to try resetting my phone back to the factory settings.  Doing so did not improve the wifi or correct anything else at all.  If you are going to try it, do not forget to back up all your data as the reset erases it all.  The only thing I got out of the reset was lost time as I had to reconfigure the phone back to the way I like it (including getting reloading apps, pictures, e-mail accounts, ringtones, etc). 

Journeyman

Yeah, there's no way I'm resetting my phone.  I did that once for something totally different, and it was a nightmare getting my phone back to the way I liked it.  Thanks for the heads up.  I'll wait until Sprint/Samsung actually figures out what the problem is instead of following the old "just reboot it" tech support.

Journeyman

At the bottom of you phone there is little hole which I think is the microphone. If you cover this hole with you thumb and apply a little pressure while tilting it towards you a high pitched sound comes out. You will find this happens while phone is in your pocket, standing, on its back or if you happend to cover the hole with your hands while using the slide keyboard. Just about any position while the microphone is covered and pressure is placed will couse the  loud high picthed sound. It drove me crazy for two weeks trying to find out where the sound was coming. And, all this in addition to losing the GPS locator during google Maps occured after the software upgrade. Before the upgrade my phone was perfect, since, it has givien me many,many  problems...

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat