cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi Signal Strength not great around the house

Highlighted
Journeyman

WiFi Signal Strength not great around the house

I'm having a little bit of a different issue than the users who could not connect to their WiFi.  Mine connected just fine at home (haven't tried elsewhere but am traveling to Oregon tonight so i'll test out different place).  Problem is that I have to be standing right over my LinkSys router for it to have the full 3 bars.  If I'm just 10 feet away it's 2 bars, and if I'm in the back bedroom which is just down the hall (about 30 feet) it's only one bar.

I downloaded the WiFi Analyzer and sure enough the signal drops like crazy.

Can someone help me with this?  I'm not sure if it's the phone or my router.  I'd rather not have to replace the phone but if it's the phone I will do that.

Thanks in advanced, I'm a newbie Android user.

7 REPLIES 7
Journeyman

Re: WiFi Signal Strength not great around the house

The radios in this thing are atrocious. DLNA buffers for 5 minutes on a 40 second video, plays for 10 seconds and  buffers for another 5 minutes (using a 240x320 video). When I can find a video codec this phone supports, not easy.

This is on a wireless network which I stream HD video over without any problem. The phone is pretty much useless for anything except text messaging and phone calls. Qik doesn't work via EV-DO or WiFi.

I've been to the Sprint store twice trying to figure out what the hell is wrong with this thing, I'm returning it tomorrow. I'm very disappointed in this P.O.S.

If there are just a few programs running it slows to a crawl, then crashes. But I digress... Yes, the WiFi never gets over 2 bars when I'm in the same room with my router (which connects to all my other devices perfectly fine).

Message was edited by: edward11b

Journeyman

Hey man. Before you go telling everyone what a POS the phone is, try waiting for a couple updates considering that this device is totally state of the art.  I have a Wireless N router and a SureWest (used to be Everest) connection in KC.  I get 15Mb down and 2Mb up with a Dlink 655. I get 8-10 outside.  Also Android kernels can be changed, firmware changes ETC.  Learn to have a little patience, the pohone just released.

P.S.

I Used Speedtest.net app to test speeds and the dial only goes to 10Mb.  I'm 5 Mb off the chart (it still shows the number the little dial just maxes out at 10)

Message was edited by: Zeninsight

Journeyman

I had an issue with an older router with regards to signals throughout the house, including phones that had wifi.  I get good coverage throughout the house with my Epic and Cisco (Linksys) router.

Journeyman

I have a old D-Link N router that is located in my basement approximately 75 feet from my phone and get only one bar. I rarely get more than one bar, but I do get great throughput. Using the Speednet app, I get the 10MB (needle pegs at 10MB) incoming and 2.4 MB outgoing. Using the Wifi analyzer app I get from -70 to -90 dBm of signal strength.

Journeyman

GREAT DEALS!!

LISTEN EVERYONE WHO WANTS TO SAVE MONEY ON A NEW SPRINT ACOUNT, OR ADDING A NEW LINE, RENEWING CONTRACT, OR JUST UPGRADING. GO TO MYACN.COM CHOOSE WHAT YOU WANT TO DO ,AND WHEN YOU GET TO THE ORDER PAGE TYPE IN THIS CODE IN THE " TEAM ID" BOX ( 02210931) TRUST ME YOU WILL SAVE MONEY. I DID AND SO CAN YOU.

Journeyman

No problems here

I haven't noticed any WiFi strength issues. I was cooking outside on my grill yesterday and listening to the Phillies game on the MLB At Bat app without a problem while using WiFi

Journeyman

Re: No problems here

Do you know what model your Linksys router is and how old?

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat