cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will we see Android 2.3 or 2.2 for Epic 4G anytime soon???

Journeyman

I was told when I purchased my Sprint Epic 4G late last year (Oct) that it would be a month, and the phone would have 2.2.   I'm a bit frustrated with Samsung and Sprint "passing the buck" around regarding this upgrade, and its timing.  Sprint should either step up and fix what they promised their customers, or they should allow customers to switch phones (to the EVO or new Mini EVO) with no additional penalties or charges.  I'm not buying into the discussions that say "it just takes time",  or "give them a chance to work on it" etc.  The facts are that this was promised, and it was missed.......FAIL.The phone has been out for some time, and it should have access to the new version, or at least Sprint should 'man up' and post a date when it will actually be made available.

I guess I'll sit and wait my two years....May look into the competitive offerings that allow a much shorter time between phone upgrades, or now that Verizon has the iPhone.....Hmmm.

Unsatisfied in St. Louis - PutPutDevel

Message was edited by: PutPutDevel

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Will we see Android 2.3 or 2.2 for Epic 4G anytime soon???

Will you see 2.2?  Yes, eventually.

Will you see 2.3?  Forget about it.

Samsung has a very long track history for software updates- and it's not a good one.  They're good for one upgrade, and that's it.  If you buy Samsung, that's what you can expect...

HTC, on the other hand, is one of the most reliable manufacturers as far as releasing updates..

Journeyman

Well to answer your question honestly... NO

They have been saying "Coming Soon" "ASAP" "By Years End" and now back to  "ASAP".

I don't believe anything I hear anymore. Sprint has said basically nothing officially and many conflicting things on Twitter and other Android sites.

I hear T-Mobile is having a special to combat the iPhone on Verizon, their offering all phones for free with a 2 yr contract. BTW - their Samsung Vibrant has already been updated to Froyo.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/t-mobile-free-phones-android-vibrant,news-10052.html

Journeyman

Well, my impression about Samsung is the opposite. I think they have great products and all the updates are better than the one before.

Who knows what the reason is behind the 2.2 or any other not being available in the U.S.? I mentioned in other posts that other carriers are on 2.1 also. Why do you think that is?

I know a few Evo users and they their share of issues too. I wouldn't generalize things yet 

Journeyman

PutPut, let's put it this way. If you're tired of your Windows Vista on your computer what do you do? Toss away the computer and get a new one with Windows 7 in it or just go buy a Windows 7 (any version) and upgrade it yourself?

Journeyman

I believe this thread has answered my question about checking the discussion forumns.  I was wondering if anyone has recieved the vaporware official Froyo update yet?  Looks like a No.  Guess I'll just stick with my DK28 Froyo build for now.

Journeyman

The comment: " If you're tired of your Windows Vista on your computer what do you do?  Toss away the computer and get a new one with Windows 7 in it or just go  buy a Windows 7 (any version) and upgrade it yourself?"  is not relevant in this case.  Very similar to my situation, I purchased my Epic in early October with the assurance that 2.2 was imminent.  If I had known that it would be 5 months later and no more sign of when an update is coming than last year, I would have purchased the EVO.  In the analogy used in the previous post, I would have bought a Mac or installed Linux.  As a matter of fact, I purchased a new laptop in October with Win7, hoping that all the hype was accurate, and found it still has many of the issues in past Win systems, so I dual-booted it with Ubuntu.  I didn't toss away the computer....

I am beyond frustrated with this situation and very much regret getting the Epic.  Another concern is that I have not heard from anyone at even a mid-level at Sprint that acknowledges this is a problem on their radar screen.  I think they truly don't care.  I would gladly switch to the Evo.

Journeyman

@FLYGUY85

Don't listen to people saying things like that. I mean who in their right mind upgrades an OS because their tired of it? I upgrade OS's when they no longer meet my needs effectively (Security/Features wise). It's not as if I just want a new theme to look at, this update fixes major issues with the current build. And it's also a point release not a version update so that argument just don't hold water. It's not the latest greatest we're after, it's stablility and functionality. In any event here's the latest rumor on this http://www.unwiredview.com/2011/02/18/samsung-epic-4g-sanyo-zio-updating-to-froyo-feb-21/ most likely false but we have no way of knowing if anything is happening because Sprint/Samsung aren't talking.... I guess they're going to push it out quietly and hope we all just go away...

You have every right to be angry just like me. I feel these companies are mistreating their customers and the future may not be so kind to them as a result of it.

Wizard

Well, we now know the answer to the question of 2.2 -- yes, starting Monday, February 21.  See http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/62611 -- long overdue, I think, but finally ready for rollout.

Regarding 2.3, I don't think either Sprint or Samsung has made an official statement regarding getting Gingerbread to us / the Galaxy S phones.  From what I've read, the phones should be capable of running Gingerbread, but who knows when/if they'll actually give us an update.  With how long it took to get Froyo though, I wouldn't expect to see Gingerbread any time soon -- maybe around the end of the year if we're lucky.

Journeyman

For the posts I am reading about where folks believe they should have gone to the EVO instead of the Epic, I went through 2 EVOs in 3 weeks before I decided on the Epic.  The Epic without the upgrades yet have been a much better experience than the EVO.  I could not get either of the EVOs to to keep a charge if I was on the phone, for more than 2 hours.  The only advantages I found with the EVO were the video camera, kick stand and larger screen,  But, without a fully functioning battery life, none of those features were any good. 

I just started having some issues with my Epic screen going blank and was told by a Sprint store that we would have 2.2 available on 2/28.  I just checked for an update and there is nothing yet.

For the post about switching to a Mac instead of uprading to a PC.  I did that 5 years ago and as the saying goes, "Once you go Mac, you won't go back!".  It was the best move I ever made and I have been a PC programmer for 18 years.  In the long run, the Mac is cheaper when you account for all the software that comes with it and the life expectancy of a Mac is 10 years instead of 8 months compared to the PC.

BRING ON OUR UPGRADE TODAY SPRINT!

Journeyman

Android 2.3.2 Gingerbread leaks for Samsung Galaxy S - read more at http://engt.co/hM6wd1

Android 2.3.2 Gingerbread leaks for Samsung Galaxy S

By Chris Ziegler posted Feb 28th 2011 5:49PM

Not every Galaxy S user around the globe even has Froyo yet -- but Samsung's ready to move on, it seems, crafting a ROM based on Android 2.3.2 (in other words, quite recently) for the i9000 model that just leaked across the giant faucet better known as the internet. The darned thing is nearly a quarter gigabyte in size, so Samsung's not playing here, but users haven't fleshed out everything that's changed just yet. Of course, if you're using one of the millions of Galaxy S devices that aren't an i9000, you've got more waiting to do... but we're certain hackers are already well underway tearing this bad boy apart and crafting custom ROMs for various SKUs. Hang tight!
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat