cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

android 2.2 update

Highlighted
Journeyman

android 2.2 update

has any one been able to either get adobe flash or , android update 2.2 instead of waiting for samsung.

623 REPLIES 623
Highlighted
Journeyman

This has gotten a bit off topic.  Is there any new news about when Android 2.2 will be available for the samsung Epic?  I can't believe Sprint put out this great phone and then doesn't have the latest update for it ready.

Highlighted
Master

Samsung makes the base software for the Epic. Sprint adds things like Sprint Navigation, Nascar, etc. and runs it through testingon the Sprint network to ensure it doesn't have any adverse effects on the network.

Samsung currently hasn't released an Android 2.2 software version for any of the Galaxy S devices (Epic 4G included). Until Samsung has finalized the base Android software to work with their CPU/GPU/Chipset/TouchWiz combination, Sprint can't add the network-specific items and run it through testing.

The base Android software from Google has the essentials, but the firmware for each chip/module must be integrated with drivers for each Android version and every device model. When low level changes are made to an Operating System drivers must be rewritten. The same thing happens on your PC as well. Microsoft made low level changes to the way driver stacks worked in Windows Vista, and hardware makers had to completely rewrite their software for the new design, hence why there were so many driver issues with hardware in Vista. Vista itself wasn't the problem, it was developers who hadn't had to make any large changes for years that were simply reliant on the old base XP was using. With the complete rewrite for security that Vista broguht they weren't following the correct procedures anymore and were using old methods that no longer worked.

A phone that uses a Snapdragon chipset cannot use the same drivers as a phone using a Hummingbird chipset. This is like trying to have a sound card use Logitech drivers when it is made by Realtek.

Journeyman

I know this is off the original topic but the gorilla glass is strong and almost indestructable. I had a droid at launch and I have dropped the phone about 100 time (not kidding) the whole metal band around the screen was scratched and no longer black. but the screen never had a scratch or ding or anything on it. I did have the Zagg protector for the first week but hated it. for the first day after drying (the solution doesn't hurt the phone in any way) it made the screen less responsive and it wouldn't let your finger glide easy. Then after the second day the screen protector would slidea bit and lift on the edges. I returned it when sliding it in my pocket took it off the screen. It wasn't worth it at all. I wouldn't reconmend it and with the Epic I wouldn't say you need one.

As far as 2.2 I know the sprint admin here will say as soon as they know something about it. From what I heard though Samsung is almost done with the fine tuning on 2.2 and expect a release as early as Sept. 23. Now this is a unoffical update for all Galaxy S phone and I betting that the date is for the international one. If I know anything about the way they are talking any progessing I say that the US phones are going to get it about a week after this.

Highlighted
Journeyman

This is BS!!!!!! Samsung needs to get with it and get there software updates in check! According to this website http://erictric.com/2010/09/21/samsung-galaxy-s-to-receive-android-2-2-froyo-in-october/ the 2.2 froyo update for the epic will not be ready until the end of OCTOBER, where beforehand they "Samsung" stated we would have the update by the end of September. I'm tempted to take my Epic back for an EVO.

Message was edited by: Dcraig723

Highlighted
Journeyman

France, and Korea says September, and Spain says October for the Galaxy S devices...  Different demographics and markets.   For any US device there is no specific time frame.  People keep bundling up all the Galaxy S' up into one when there are differences between the devices.  Locale, and hardware for some of them will determine when they will get the update.

When I bought the Epic 4G(coming from a Nexus One) I knew the Epic didn't have 2.2, and it will be updated.  They never said when and from the looks of what is being said in OTHER countries they are not going to release all the updates at one time like people are hoping.  There is nothing all the great with Froyo like people make it out to be.  I am willing to bet people will start complaining more about battery life especially AFTER they download Flash 10.1.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well there are just a few things I would like to see Froyo fix.  A friend of mine has an EVO and the Froyo update helped fix a few things. Besides Flash and a few things like Gmail sorting and so on, I would like to have the GPS work without having to be on the network.  I recently went on a cruise with a friend and we both were outside of coverage and had the GPS turned on.  He could use apps like GPS compass/speed, etc. and it worked.  Mine, even when all turned on, the secondary GPS apps would not work.  It kept acting like it was looking for GPS satellites and never would see them whereas his was providing LAT/LONG positions and apps like GPS Speed worked.  Will the Froyo update fix that on the Epic as well?  The GPS works when on the network (Sprint and not WiFi), but it would not work outside of that whereas the Evo with Froyo did work independently of the network.

Highlighted
Journeyman

it may be scratch resistant but it is as fragile as an egg shell. All it took was one one foot drop onto soft linoleum. Now I have a spiderweb in the corner and a long diagonal crack.

sorry OT.

Highlighted
Journeyman

RussD wrote:

Well there are just a few things I would like to see Froyo fix.  A friend of mine has an EVO and the Froyo update helped fix a few things. Besides Flash and a few things like Gmail sorting and so on, I would like to have the GPS work without having to be on the network.  I recently went on a cruise with a friend and we both were outside of coverage and had the GPS turned on.  He could use apps like GPS compass/speed, etc. and it worked.  Mine, even when all turned on, the secondary GPS apps would not work.  It kept acting like it was looking for GPS satellites and never would see them whereas his was providing LAT/LONG positions and apps like GPS Speed worked.  Will the Froyo update fix that on the Epic as well?  The GPS works when on the network (Sprint and not WiFi), but it would not work outside of that whereas the Evo with Froyo did work independently of the network.

maybe maybe not...  A major OS update may not even fix the problem.  It's a major misconception they need the latests and greatest to fix the problems.  When they released Froyo for the EVO they included bug fixes.  The OS didn't fix the problems the bug fixes did.  They just don't slap their skin onto the OS test that to see if it works then slap it on peoples devices.

I have had 2.2 and there's nothing really over the top special that makes me really wanted.  IF it had something I couldn't let go I wouldn't have went to Sprint for the Epic 4G, or Evo 4G(didn't have 2.2 when I made my choice).

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am told Samsung ALWAYS lags when it comes to updates. this is prob why there are 10000:1 Epic to EVO ratio. Noone wants to buy from samsung because they know how they are! I am told if you want a EVO you can't get them ecause they are all sold out. (Maybe due to part supply issue not sure?) As far as what 2.2 has over 2.1 well that's a no brainer. flash, and faster running phone for one. My friend has a EVO with 2.2 and his phone is much faster with 2.2 and his battery life is longer lasting aswell.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Another question that I haven't heard a straight forward answer about is the Moble Hotspot feature being offered with the upgrade from 2.1 to 2.2.  Is it going to be free, or will Sprint block this feature in 2.2.  Check out this link http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/85860-froyo-wi-fi-hotspot-feature-left-unblocked-read-free-sprin....  If anyone could shed some light on this feature it would be great.... Thanks

Highlighted
Journeyman

The Evo upgrade may have contained bug fixes along with Froyo, but to say 2.2's features are "no big deal" is pure nonsense.  One feature alone (voice dial through Bluetooth) allows the use of the phone while driving.  For people like me, that's huge because I'd have to change back to a different phone from time to time.  Look at the new features list and see for yourself.

Highlighted
Master

@acovino610,The HotSpot feature will not be free after Froyo. We had this same discussion about the Evo(which that post refers to).

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat