cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

android 2.2 update

Highlighted
Journeyman

android 2.2 update

has any one been able to either get adobe flash or , android update 2.2 instead of waiting for samsung.

623 REPLIES 623
Highlighted
Journeyman

Looks like a remix of the moment to me well I won't be buying the epic.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The VoiceDial through Bluetooth is a big issue for me.  My wife wants to use her Bluetooth headset but if it won't dial using voice and the headset she doesn't want to use it.  Let's get this feature soon as I want it as well.  If I would have known this was not going to be available right away I would have waited for an Evo.

Highlighted
Journeyman

If voice dialing was a "BIG deal" then why you buy the device in the first place.  Regardless if "froyo was promised" it doesn't have it.  Regardless if it was business related, law related, or personally related if it was that BIG of a deal I wouldn't have purchased a device that didn't have it right then and there.  Saves a whole lot of headaches.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Actually because it supported Bluetooth and Bluetooth headsets, I assumed, like other more inexpensive phones that we owned like the Motorola Krazr, that it would do voice dialing.  So, my assumption was based on the fact that the Smartphone could at least handle the basics of the Bluetooth headset experience as did the old "feature" phones we had previously.  I didn't realize I would be going backwards when it came to Bluetooth technology.  We'll wait it out, but it was something that even the salespeople assumed it would do as well.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Is it an unfair comparison to say that battery life on 2.2 Evo is much improved, so battery life on 2.2 Epic will also be improved?  From the short time that I've had the device, that's the only downfall I can see.  My battery lasts 6 hours sitting on my desk doing absolutely nothing, with 4G, Bluetooth, and Wireless all disabled. I do have data synch enabled because of my work email and contacts, but that's it.  No apps or anything according to task manager.

I can't even play a round of golf with the golf gps app because it kills the battery in 3 hours running gps full time.  If battery life is improved dramatically, I'm a happy camper.

Journeyman

Some apps you install run in the backround even though it is not shown in task manager. TikL push to talk as an example.

Highlighted
Journeyman

That's why apps like Free Advanced Task Manager are good to end all apps not being used and eating up battery power.

Highlighted
Journeyman

HTC EVO launched on Jun 4 and was not upgraded to 2.2 until Aug 3. Which mean that if you want your Samsung EPIC to have 2.2 you should not have bought it on the first day.

Message was edited by: spicyicy33

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am as anxious as anyone is about the upgrade but I rather wait and have less "bugs" then have it now and my phone not work properly.   Samsung is not the only ones not producing promising upgrades and missing deadline but at least there is some communication unlike other devices I have owned.  Motorola is well known for dropping the ball on upgrades unless its a Droid.  I was hesitant to buy the Epic because in my opinion HTC is where its at as far as Android OS.  I also have had bad experiences with Samsung and Sprint in the past.  I'm actually quite pleased with my Epic so far and glad I chose to buy it.  I also would have regretted not havg a slide out keyboard.   I switched to Sprint from yrs with T-Mobile (I had Sprint pre T) because I was convinced my them to use my upgrade fo the CLIQ (Motorola0 despite wanting the Nexus One which was the new release.  They swore up and down it would receive upgrades and to this day its on 1.5.  if it wouldn't have been pushed so hard I wouldn't complain but they did, Moto made many release dates for an upgrade then dropped the ball with no word as to when why or how, and then despite me never wanting it to begin with and it not being the product they told me it was I nevr got comped, allowed an exchange or even an apology.  I wasn't on contract because I bought the phone full price and did one of their new plans so I am so glad I could just bail.  All they ever said is the CLIQ is a great device (to the user that does nothing but Facebook).   I want Adobe 10 and Hulu or whatever but I download torrents to my Epic so I have my entertainment.  For the people that can't figure out how to use the torrents that's what Media Hub and Skyfire  is for :-).  Its no big secret 2.2 has some issues and if waiting means avoiding those I am happy to.  I have my Epic exactly how I want it and don't want to lose any of my apps ordownloads just for flash 10.  I know 2.2 has other perks that are not priority to me at this time but it also has a few drawbacks.  I do wish they would hurry though and fix the bugs lol.

Highlighted
Journeyman

1. Don't trust a word Samsung says about software update release updates. They're just about the worst offenders out there regarding this. Just root the phone and put CyanogenMod on it (DCMA makes this perfectly legal now, Sprint, so shut it) when it is released.

2. Sprint has more issues than just Froyo with this phone. I highly suspect that the upload cap issue was the CDMA baseband chipset/firmware not being able to measure/report below -86 dBm strength and as such, the phone would perpetually stick itself into EVDO Rev.0 mode. That would explain the cell standby battery drain and the 150kbps upload limit. This needs to be adressed as even the update still sticks itself into Rev.0 until reset on occasion.

3. Froyo brings JIT and other goodies meaning performance will go though the roof and bring battery consumption waaaaaay down. That should be ammunition for Sprint to prod Samsung with into expediting an update as Samsung is already in hot water over making the world's first non-wireless cellphone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

amen.

Highlighted
Journeyman

mutiny32 wrote:

1. Don't trust a word Samsung says about software update release updates. They're just about the worst offenders out there regarding this. Just root the phone and put CyanogenMod on it (DCMA makes this perfectly legal now, Sprint, so shut it) when it is released.

2. Sprint has more issues than just Froyo with this phone. I highly suspect that the upload cap issue was the CDMA baseband chipset/firmware not being able to measure/report below -86 dBm strength and as such, the phone would perpetually stick itself into EVDO Rev.0 mode. That would explain the cell standby battery drain and the 150kbps upload limit. This needs to be adressed as even the update still sticks itself into Rev.0 until reset on occasion.

3. Froyo brings JIT and other goodies meaning performance will go though the roof and bring battery consumption waaaaaay down. That should be ammunition for Sprint to prod Samsung with into expediting an update as Samsung is already in hot water over making the world's first non-wireless cellphone.

1. If people believed it then why buy it.  People buy from impulse and they have only themselves to blame.  I have always advocated no matter which customer forum.  If you BELIEVE the company is only going to take your money don't buy any of their products.  It'll do more than buying their product, and then followed by complaining about what they don't do.

2. This I don't know first hand and I believe they are working to fix this as the current MR shows they are trying to fix it.  So it debunks your first statement.  There is an improvement compared to what it was at before.  Fixes may take time and if you don't want to give it time people should have returned their devices BEFORE their buyers remorse was up.

3.  That's a BS statement right there.  If you actually read reports throughout customer boards where people complain about battery life left and right.  I have owned a Nexus One with 2.2 and I can attest there is no real difference from when it had 2.1.  Battery life actually got worse especially when surfing the web with Flash 10.  Look at other boards with devices with 2.2 and on the first page you will see a LARGE amount of people complaining about battery life.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat